Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Newest book by Derek Johnson (Coming this August)

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,964
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
Hey everybody... Slightly more than two years after starting the project, my next book is complete and has entered the production stage. The targeted release date is August 17. It's called The Beautiful Life and Tragic Death of Parker Moore. For those unfamiliar with the story, Parker was an amazing young man who was graduating from Woodinville High School just as I arrived at The Woodinville Weekly in 2013. He went on to Linfield College in Oregon to play football as a linebacker and to study finance.

On November 15, 2014, Parker entered a 7-Eleven in McMinnville, Oregon late at night. He was randomly murdered inside that store. To everyone who knew him, this news was not only horrific but also incomprehensible. While in high school, he'd been jokingly crowned "Most Likely to be a Trophy Husband". But in reality, Parker Moore was going to become something epic in this world and give back much to society. Friends and teammates could clearly see that. Parker was handsome, charismatic, brilliant, mischievous, cunning, athletic and funny. Above all, however, he possessed tremendous empathy. If a mad scientist were to concoct all the ingredients needed for a great future leader, they would've created Parker Moore.

But his life was snuffed out in a moment of horrific, random violence. The ramifications of his murder deeply impacted the communities of Woodinnville and McMinnville. The lives of his friends and family were shattered and altered. Through all this came the grappling for meaning and the reconciling of faith. (People had different responses to the questions of the impact on their faith).

As I worked on this book, I grew close with Douglas Archie Moore and Julee Moore. I also received invaluable input from their daughter Hayley. Their help and trust were critical. At the outset I told them I wouldn't write the book without their blessing. Portions of these interviews ventured into private and vulnerable areas of their lives. The Moores answered the questions despite the pain or discomfort they felt. For that I am grateful.

In all, I conducted sixty-one interviews with family, friends, coaches and teammates. There were lots of tears but also funny moments they shared from Parker's life. Some stories I really enjoyed had to be cut from the book for the sake of the overall story. But once the book launches, I will have a blog on my redesigned website derekjohnsonbooks.com, which will be rolled out in mid-August. I will tell some of those wonderful stories on the blog.

On Wednesday September 18, we will be having an event to commemorate the book at The Pizza Coop in Woodinville. It will run from 7p.m.-10p.m. Everyone is welcome to drop by.

Comments

• Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Hey everybody... Slightly more than two years after starting the project, my next book is complete and has entered the production stage. The targeted release date is August 17. It's called The Beautiful Life and Tragic Death of Parker Moore. For those unfamiliar with the story, Parker was an amazing young man who was graduating from Woodinville High School just as I arrived at The Woodinville Weekly in 2013. He went on to Linfield College in Oregon to play football as a linebacker and to study finance.

On November 15, 2014, Parker entered a 7-Eleven in McMinnville, Oregon late at night. He was randomly murdered inside that store. To everyone who knew him, this news was not only horrific but also incomprehensible. While in high school, he'd been jokingly crowned "Most Likely to be a Trophy Husband". But in reality, Parker Moore was going to become something epic in this world and give back much to society. Friends and teammates could clearly see that. Parker was handsome, charismatic, brilliant, mischievous, cunning, athletic and funny. Above all, however, he possessed tremendous empathy. If a mad scientist were to concoct all the ingredients needed for a great future leader, they would've created Parker Moore.

But his life was snuffed out in a moment of horrific, random violence. The ramifications of his murder deeply impacted the communities of Woodinnville and McMinnville. The lives of his friends and family were shattered and altered. Through all this came the grappling for meaning and the reconciling of faith. (People had different responses to the questions of the impact on their faith).

As I worked on this book, I grew close with Douglas Archie Moore and Julee Moore. I also received invaluable input from their daughter Hayley. Their help and trust were critical. At the outset I told them I wouldn't write the book without their blessing. Portions of these interviews ventured into private and vulnerable areas of their lives. The Moores answered the questions despite the pain or discomfort they felt. For that I am grateful.

In all, I conducted sixty-one interviews with family, friends, coaches and teammates. There were lots of tears but also funny moments they shared from Parker's life. Some stories I really enjoyed had to be cut from the book for the sake of the overall story. But once the book launches, I will have a blog on my redesigned website derekjohnsonbooks.com, which will be rolled out in mid-August. I will tell some of those wonderful stories on the blog.

On Wednesday September 18, we will be having an event to commemorate the book at The Pizza Coop in Woodinville. It will run from 7p.m.-10p.m. Everyone is welcome to drop by.

Money grab?

Technically gifted writing?
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Are you planning anything in McMinnville?
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Congrats. I’m starting to a little upset with your scheduling of events. I was in Seattle last week and the next HH lemon party is in a few weeks.

I’ll be in Seattle again in September for the Cal game.

I think you’re just being hurtful.

Butt hurtful*
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

One of the several layers to this story is that Parker's killer was an illegal immigrant. The book focuses mostly on his life, but delves into this a bit.

Dori Monson talked about it on his show.

https://mynorthwest.com/72656/suspect-in-murder-of-woodinville-football-player-appears-to-be-illegal-immigrant/?

Bring that shit to the tug.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

One of the several layers to this story is that Parker's killer was an illegal immigrant. The book focuses mostly on his life, but delves into this a bit.

https://mynorthwest.com/72656/suspect-in-murder-of-woodinville-football-player-appears-to-be-illegal-immigrant/?

Who let you out of your cell?
    The strangest thing on this site is when hondo comments in a football thread and it's vaguely reasonable
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Who let you out of your cell?
    The strangest thing on this site is when hondo comments in a football thread and it's vaguely reasonable
    hoops too
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,758
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

But but but @APAG told they're all in concentration camps.

I digress. Apologies to Stalin.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,758
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

I'll try to make it to the event. After having worked with Julee & Doug, I've been blown away by what amazing people they really are. Not surprising that Parker was all the things you described above.

I'm looking forward to reading this book.

How far did you drive them?

#uberislife #uber #prius