Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Cigars

Comments

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited June 2019

Be careful about overloading your humidor and getting it too moist too quick = mold. Out in VA you probably have high enough humidity that stuff doesn't dry out super quick anyway. You have some time to get it properly seasoned without fucking up new cigars. That's why I sent you the humidor first.

This is the problem with FS. I want shit IMMEDIATELY and rarely think through the consequences of my actions.
  • Options
    DHDDHD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,407
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    I've ordered from Famous Smoke and Cigar.com. Both can be a little hit and miss in terms of getting stuff that isn't dried out, but I've had about 80% success. Always pay for the expedited shipping. Famous Smoke usually has some good deals and some of their samplers are really reasonable.

Also, you can experiment with the kinda' cut you like. I've used a punch, straight cut and V-cut. I'm very partial to the V-cut.

Doog Bot is right, mold can be a real issue if you over-humidify, so make sure to keep an eye on that and rotate your smokes from time to time just to make sure it's not hiding from you.
  • Options
    minion_doogminion_doog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You're dialed the fuck in, 0-100 real quick.

I've bought from probably 7-9 different places online, rarely the big popular ones. All of them had options for adding humidity packs to the shipment. Typically you want to rest them in your humi a couple weeks after delivery, anyway. The only banged up or dry sticks I've ever received was always some giveaway bullshit I never would have smoked anyway. Padron offer's a few 5 pack samplers that are great. For Cuban's I use Puroexpress.com and Ihavanas.com with no issue. Hand pick a few singles from a shop with a walk-in humidor.

• Options
    Founders Club
    Humidor says ot keep the humidity between 68-72. Does that sound right?

Next stupid question...I assume if you go over 72 you just open it up for a bit, and less than 68 you add some glycol to the pad? Is it just that simple?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,341
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Unless you live in the land of 15% humidity like I do you're probably a lot closer just in ambient air at places like Virginia

Yes, the glycol regulates it. During summer I need two pads and a shot glass
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,901
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Unless you live in the land of 15% humidity like I do you're probably a lot closer just in ambient air at places like Virginia

Yeah, 38% here today but that's low. Looked up average humidity for the year in Northern Virginia and it's low 80's in the morning, and mid 50's in the afternoon. You damn near don't need a humidor if you can regulate the temp.
    True but you wouldn’t be as cool then.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Yeah, 38% here today but that's low. Looked up average humidity for the year in Northern Virginia and it's low 80's in the morning, and mid 50's in the afternoon. You damn near don't need a humidor if you can regulate the temp.
    Wife's WW2 vet grandfather lives in Florida and has no humidor despite being a big cigar guy. Of course, he also smokes a churchill a day so his boxes get smoked before anything can happen to them. 93 years old and tuff as nails. Cool as hell too. Used to play jazz drums for some big names in his day. We brought him a box full of California edibles last time we were out there.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,586
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye said:

@UW_Doog_Bot humidor is 12 hours into its seasoning and is at 59% and rising. 36 more hours, add more DI water, then 24-48 hours after that it should be done provided it has stabilized. FUCK YES!

Rising you say
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited June 2019
    66% headed to 80's in a couple days (hopefully)

edit: Update: Just hit 69 lulz

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Mind you, getting the interior air up to 80% is actually pretty easy. You could just put a shot glass or two of water in there and get to that number. It's getting the wood to absorb enough of that moisture to maintain that % regularly. Much like the boards, it's going to take you some tim to get it dialed in no matter how FS you are about it. You are off to a good start though.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,845
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Swaye said:

Mind you, getting the interior air up to 80% is actually pretty easy. You could just put a shot glass or two of water in there and get to that number. It's getting the wood to absorb enough of that moisture to maintain that % regularly. Much like the boards, it's going to take you some tim to get it dialed in no matter how FS you are about it. You are off to a good start though.
    On occasion, I have a hard time getting my wood to maintain regularly too....

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

I don't understand what is happening.
    My best analogy I could come up with while sexting @Swaye is that it works a bit how a freezer does. An empty freezer is easy to get cold but takes a lot more to maintain because anytime you open it you let all the cold air out. If you load up the freezer with a bunch of already frozen stuff though, it has an easy time staying cold. Even if you open it, it only has to replace a little bit of cold air and the already frozen stuff will help maintain the temp.

It's easy to get the air humid in the humidor,(cold air in the freezer), but it's harder to get the humidor itself up to the right level(the whole freezer at the right temp). You can throw a few cheap cigars(similar to putting already frozen food in an empty freezer) in there and it might actually help the process along assuming they aren't already super dried out(that would be like putting warm food in the freezer).

I just wouldn't put anything I really care about in there until you get it dialed in bc of fear of mold more so than drying anything out. You can mostly recover a dried out cigar. A moldy one is trash and nothing can be done.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,916
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

My best analogy I could come up with while sexting @Swaye is that it works a bit how a freezer does. An empty freezer is easy to get cold but takes a lot more to maintain because anytime you open it you let all the cold air out. If you load up the freezer with a bunch of already frozen stuff though, it has an easy time staying cold. Even if you open it, it only has to replace a little bit of cold air and the already frozen stuff will help maintain the temp.

It's easy to get the air humid in the humidor,(cold air in the freezer), but it's harder to get the humidor itself up to the right level(the whole freezer at the right temp). You can throw a few cheap cigars(similar to putting already frozen food in an empty freezer) in there and it might actually help the process along assuming they aren't already super dried out(that would be like putting warm food in the freezer).

I just wouldn't put anything I really care about in there until you get it dialed in bc of fear of mold more so than drying anything out. You can mostly recover a dried out cigar. A moldy one is trash and nothing can be done.
    No, I get the physics involved. I'm just laffing because I've never owned a humidor, because while I love a good smoke as much as anyone here, I am more of a hunter gather when is comes to cigars. When I'm in the mood, I get one at a good shop and smoke it within the next 24- 48 hours.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

No, I get the physics involved. I'm just laffing because I've never owned a humidor, because while I love a good smoke as much as anyone here, I am more of a hunter gather when is comes to cigars. When I'm in the mood, I get one at a good shop and smoke it within the next 24- 48 hours.
    Hard to tell with a history major. Plenty of other retards at HH though so maybe it will help someone.