Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Cigars

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,341
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I have a cigar guy here in Temecula. Over the years he has narrowed down what I like. I would buy a few at at time. When we moved to Riverside for a year I bought a humidor so I could buy in bulk and he'd get me fresh boxes of cigars I like.

A humidor makes a tremendous difference. You can get the secret sauce from Amazon if you want
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I have a cigar guy here in Temecula. Over the years he has narrowed down what I like. I would buy a few at at time. When we moved to Riverside for a year I bought a humidor so I could buy in bulk and he'd get me fresh boxes of cigars I like.

A humidor makes a tremendous difference. You can get the secret sauce from Amazon if you want

Need to have a beer and cigar with Race confirmed.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    I only smoke cigars when I'm drinking scotch or playing golf, and I'm too focused on the scotch and my round to give a shit about the cigar I'm smoking.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,845
    edited June 2019
    You cigar guys are all pussies

Tobacco belongs in a pinch between the cheek and gum like the good lord and Walt Garrison intended.

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Humidor or bust. It was a game changer when I got mine.

If you ever send me stogies you may need to recommend a decent humidor to me.
    Might want to check your mail tomorrow.
    Might need a humidor recommendation sooner than originally anticipated. (gay winkie face)
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,901
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I feel like I need to redeem myself a little after fucko cigar shamed me.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC3tzfsa5hcL-03Ffm-XW8_Q

You’re welcome @Swaye
  • Options
    Founders Club

You’re welcome @Swaye

TYFYS
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,916
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

You’re welcome @Swaye

For some reason, chicks smoking cigars doesn't work for me.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,901
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

You’re welcome @Swaye

For some reason, chicks smoking cigars doesn't work for me.
    Not even this one? You should think about Bill Clintoning her...
  • Options
    Founders Club
    DHD said:

That's a couple of pics of my humidor. It was custom made as a gift from my wife for my 40th birthday. I don't recall the name of the guy that made it, but I met him through East County Guns in Elma, as he made all their humidors as well.

I use a humidification system (set it and mostly forget it) that I got through Cigar Oasis. It works well and isn't a pain in the ass.

The top pic is my current stock, but I haven't really loaded up for summer yet as the weather has been too hit and miss to get outside often enough.

Here's what I've currently got stocked:

Macanudo Hyde Park, Connecticut Shade, Robusto: Easy smoke, usually consistent
    Partagas Black Label, Dark Natural, Toro: A little stronger with good flavor, but can be inconsistent in taste and draw
    Camacho American Barrel Aged Robusto: A current favorite. This one surprised me. Consistent, good flavor and easy draw.
    Montecristo White, Natural, Churchill: Not really full of flavor, but pleasant and when you wanna look like you're holding a big cigar, this is a good choice.
    Arturo Fuente 858, Natural, Corona: Always a fan of Fuentes. This batch has been a little inconsistent in the draw, but still a quality smoke.
    Padron 1964 Pyramide, Maduro, Torpedo: Padron are my favorites, but you pay for it as well. This is a bit of a novelty design, but it looks cool and the taste is outstanding.
    Tatuaje Havana IV, Natural, Robusto: These are ok, but kinda disappointing. Just really inconsistent in draw and in taste.
    Arturo Fuente Sun Grown Belicoso, Natural: Again, a good Fuente. Easy draw with good taste.
    Oliva Cain 660, Maduro, Toro: My second favorite right now and also affordable. Feels like holding a brick with a smooth draw and solid flavor. Underrated.
    Nub Cappuccino, Natural, Rothschild: Short and sweet with a coffee flavor. Not a daily smoke, but something to have when you don't have much time and want something different tasting.
    Java: I have a variety of these. They have some with a hint of mint, or coffee, or chocolate. Mostly for guys (and the occasional female) that want something that "tastes good". Good to keep on hand.
    Oliva Connecticut Reserve: Easy smoke, not harsh. Most of Oliva's stuff is good. These have a consistent draw, but aren't overly flavorful.

The bottom pic is from a couple of years ago.

I really enjoy trying lots of different stuff and that really helps me define what I like. I've found some high-end stuff to be just okay and I've found some low-end stuff that I thought was pretty good.

A myth you need to avoid: Dark wrapper = strong taste. Not always true. My current stock notwithstanding, I lean toward a Maduro wrapper most of the time. Don't be afraid of a dark cigar.

Cigar Baller. TYFYS
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,543
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I had to quit cigars - well smoking altogether - fighting gum disease for too many years and it is a killer on the mouth. When I smoked it was cheap to go with my cheap taste in alcohol. I preferred a smaller quick smoke and good ones are tougher to find. I did enjoy New York Minutes for a quick puff.

@DHD that is one impressive set up you have.
  • Options
    Founders Club

You're going to nab one when you're lit. Get a Padron.

Come by for sex, we can also have a cigar.

I’m impressed. Is this in a humidor because I feel like you need a humidor with this arsenal.
    This little shit box has been super solid.

https://www.amazon.com/Cherry-Wood-Glass-Cigar-Humidor/dp/B000K8O4D6

You guys shopping; consider one with a window or glass top. It's not ideal having that dead surface the humidity can't sink into nor cedar age the cigars, but you'll want to buy a digital hygrometer and be able to read it w/o always having to open the top. The built-in dials are unreliable. Humidify with propylene glycol to avoid fungus and get a solid aging.

Done done and done. @UW_Doog_Bot was nice enough to get me a glass top. Got a digital hygrometer on order and the propylene glycol from Cigar Daddy. Seasoning wipes from FESS or some shit. It's all supposed to be here Monday night. I'll wipe it down, put some DI water in a shot glass and fill the little puck with the glycol. My research indicates preloading with the wipes and doing the DI water and the glycol combined can knock seasoning down to 48-72 hours and have it nice and good in there. Then load it with stogies and get to it.

Bought 10 cigars today at the smoke shop. All randoms around 10-12 bucks each. Wanted Cohibas or the Padron Reserves people have mentioned, but they were all 20-30 bucks at this place. FML. Also got one of those stupid notebooks on order so I can stick the wrapper on it and write things like "WTF, SUCKED, GREAT, LIKE FUCKING KATE BECKINGSALE" so I know when I find a couple I like. With any luck and if the humidity Gods smile on me, I will be fully operational by next weekend.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,341
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You need to make sure your cigar store has proper storage and fresh stock as well

Most strip mall cigar stores don't

My Temecula cigar guy is in a shopping center so it's not a deal breaker but he has a humidor cigar room and will order boxes fresh upon request

That's why I stick with him. A lot of places suck
  • Options
    Founders Club

You need to make sure your cigar store has proper storage and fresh stock as well

Most strip mall cigar stores don't

My Temecula cigar guy is in a shopping center so it's not a deal breaker but he has a humidor cigar room and will order boxes fresh upon request

That's why I stick with him. A lot of places suck

Probably good advice. I live out in the sticks so options are limited. The place I went this morning is in a shithole strip center but there is no dedicated place close. At least the cigars were kept in a self contained room but that probably means fuckall. I am not well versed in this shit enough yet to know good from bad. Are there online solutions? Places that will ship really good stuff in ways that they arrive to you fresh?
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Be careful about overloading your humidor and getting it too moist too quick = mold. Out in VA you probably have high enough humidity that stuff doesn't dry out super quick anyway. You have some time to get it properly seasoned without fucking up new cigars. That's why I sent you the humidor first.