Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Are ya Woke now Oberlin?

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,000
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

Love it. Fucking liberal asshats are ruining the country!

As if Oberlin was merely “liberal”.
    They were in this instance and then doubled down on stupid.
    Liberal doesn’t begin to describe Oberlin. It is as extreme to the left as you are to the right. But I agree that extremists are stupid.
    Oberlin is no more liberal than 3/4s of the Rat party Presidential candidates. I love how you try and distance yourself from what you vote for.
    He's actually correct.

Oberlin is a bastion of very, very far left liberal thought. That, and their vaunted music conservatory, is what they're known for.

I would say that measuring 3/4s of the Democratic party as being as far left as your typical Oberlin undergrad is probably going a little far.

It's a good school, you have to be smart to get in, but it's way the fuck far left.

You can say whatever you want. Doesn't make it true. Bernie, Beto, Fauxcahontas, Mayor Gay Beto, T-bone, are all just as far to the left as your typical Oberlin undergrad. What positions does your average Oberlin undergrad hold that any of these folks would object to? Name a few for me.
    I see. Thanks.

Isn't that a bit of a ridiculous request of me? Not everything is reducible to a list or a link. Is there any subtlety in your world? Any judgment? Any inference? Any "dead reckoning" understanding? I had a kid apply to and get in to Oberlin, and another recruited to play soccer there. I'm loosely acquainted with the school. Both kids chose other schools, which are themselves pretty left-leaning LACs in the Northeastern US. I know a lot of people who attended Oberlin and I have their impressions and what I know of them.

Oberlin is a place where I perceive that Kashama Sawant would feel perfectly at home. I can't say that she's representative of 3/4s of the Democratic party.

You know, you can say whatever you want. Doesn't make it true.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,955

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

Liberal doesn’t begin to describe Oberlin. It is as extreme to the left as you are to the right. But I agree that extremists are stupid.
    Oberlin is no more liberal than 3/4s of the Rat party Presidential candidates. I love how you try and distance yourself from what you vote for.
    He's actually correct.

Oberlin is a bastion of very, very far left liberal thought. That, and their vaunted music conservatory, is what they're known for.

I would say that measuring 3/4s of the Democratic party as being as far left as your typical Oberlin undergrad is probably going a little far.

It's a good school, you have to be smart to get in, but it's way the fuck far left.

You can say whatever you want. Doesn't make it true. Bernie, Beto, Fauxcahontas, Mayor Gay Beto, T-bone, are all just as far to the left as your typical Oberlin undergrad. What positions does your average Oberlin undergrad hold that any of these folks would object to? Name a few for me.
    I see. Thanks.

Isn't that a bit of a ridiculous request of me? Not everything is reducible to a list or a link. Is there any subtlety in your world? Any judgment? Any inference? Any "dead reckoning" understanding? I had a kid apply to and get in to Oberlin, and another recruited to play soccer there. I'm loosely acquainted with the school. Both kids chose other schools, which are themselves pretty left-leaning LACs in the Northeastern US. I know a lot of people who attended Oberlin and I have their impressions and what I know of them.

Oberlin is a place where I perceive that Kashama Sawant would feel perfectly at home. I can't say that she's representative of 3/4s of the Democratic party.

All that just to say you couldn't do it. You're the one who objected to my statement about 3/4 s of the Rat party Presidential candidates (you misrepresented what I actually said) being as far left as your typical Oberlin undergrad.

If you're going to challenge what I said you'd think you'd be able to provide a little substance in order to back up your challenge. Great, you had a kid apply to Oberlin, so did O'Keefed. Now how does that show their average undergrad is further to the left than say Bernie or Beto?

If you want to just emote have at it, but if you're going to challenge what I say have something stronger than your kid applied to Oberlin.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

He's actually correct.

You really have a poor understanding of just how big the political spectrum is. It's not surprising though given how militantly far to the right you are. Your depth perception is bound to be a bit fucked up.

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

He's actually correct.

You really have a poor understanding of just how big the political spectrum is. It's not surprising though given how militantly far to the right you are. Your depth perception is bound to be a bit fucked up.
    Feeeeeeelings, nothing more than feeeeeeeeeeelings....

You have anything more to back up your mouth or is that it? How is my understanding of the political spectrum "poor" provide some examples. What makes me "militantly" far right? Again, provide some examples.

• GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

He's actually correct.

Again, provide some examples.

Nah

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

He's actually correct.

Again, provide some examples.

Nah
    There's no more interesting reading than watching a Kunt refuse to back up their fucking mouth.
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

He's actually correct.

I see. Thanks.

All that just to say you couldn't do it. You're the one who objected to my statement about 3/4 s of the Rat party Presidential candidates (you misrepresented what I actually said) being as far left as your typical Oberlin undergrad.

If you're going to challenge what I said you'd think you'd be able to provide a little substance in order to back up your challenge. Great, you had a kid apply to Oberlin, so did O'Keefed. Now how does that show their average undergrad is further to the left than say Bernie or Beto?

If you want to just emote have at it, but if you're going to challenge what I say have something stronger than your kid applied to Oberlin.
    You are so stuck in this [I challenge you] ---> [you couldn't do it] shit that you can't see when the other person simply isn't interested, as opposed to lying, being a kunt, intentionally misrepresenting, stupid, emoting, etc.

It would appear that I did misread what you wrote. If we're limiting the comparison to the current group of D candidates, sure, of that group, while I'm not going to pretend to be able to triangulate with mathematical precision what each of candidates thinks about everything with the average Oberlin undergrad thoughts on those subjects, I can certainly admit that a good portion would likely have felt comfortable at Oberlin as an undergraduate.

I think this all started when someone was trying to make the point that Oberlin is not a token example of a liberal group of people. "Merely liberal" was the phrase I believe. And that's correct. Oberlin is radically liberal and likely someplace any kind of centrist or moderate would find difficult to tolerate, and I stand by that point.

FWIW, I didn't say that a kid of mine applied to Oberlin and, therefore, it follows that I have completed a political survey and can prove precisely that the average kid there is further left than anybody. I couldn't prove that is true any more readily than you can prove it's not. It's not 'prove' thing. It's a rough estimate generalization. We're not doing math. I said I was acquainted with the school by long-standing reputation and through considerable contact within the last five years.

• TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,892 Standard Supporter
    edited June 2019
    @SFGBob: Maybe 3/4ths of the Dem candidates seem like Oberlin material based on their pandering on the campaign trail, but you know better than to take any politician of any party at their word. CC has it right that Oberlin is a Sawant ideology embracing campus but that doesn't mean 3/4ths of the Dems would govern from that same spot on the spectrum. In fact, a brief study of the last 30 years would tell you that most of the voting public in this country is not where Oberlin is, including the Dems you're citing. It's a little early in the race to be making sweeping judgments because at this point the only rule is "say anything to get primary votes." And the primaries draw all the nut jobs out early.
    DJDuck said:

But but but we can’t afford it 😢

Oberlin College pleads poverty to jury deciding on punitive damages

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/06/oberlin_college_pleads_poverty_to_jury_deciding_on_punitive_damages.html

Oberlin has a decent endowment, but that will hurt them. They'll survive, but that's a bad day at the office for the endowment committee.

The rub, though, is that Oberlin, like a lot of these wealthy small private colleges, are the main game in town. They generate a lot of economic activity for the places they find themselves in that are otherwise in the middle of bumblefuck nowhere. Although Oberlin is less than an hour outside Cleveland, so it's not as isolated as its peer Kenyon out in Gambier.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

He's actually correct.

Ok Bob I'll bite. What policy positions of each of those candidates is as liberal as the policy positions for Oberlin.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,892 Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

He's actually correct.

Ok Bob I'll bite. What policy positions of each of those candidates is as liberal as the policy positions for Oberlin.
    You never know when to quit, do you Hondo?

The lights are off and the janitor wants to lock up.

@SFGBob: Maybe 3/4ths of the Dem candidates seem like Oberlin material based on their pandering on the campaign trail, but you know better than to take any politician of any party at their word. CC has it right that Oberlin is a Sawant ideology embracing campus but that doesn't mean 3/4ths of the Dems would govern from that same spot on the spectrum. In fact, a brief study of the last 30 years would tell you that most of the voting public in this country is not where Oberlin is, including the Dems you're citing. It's a little early in the race to be making sweeping judgments because at this point the only rule is "say anything to get primary votes." And the primaries draw all the nut jobs out early.

I agree but I wasn't talking about the average voting public. I was talking about the average Rat who is currently running for President. And where someone like Bernie or Mayor Pete may be able to govern from isn't the same as where their personal political positions my really be.

Obama is a great example of someone who was much further left than he was able to govern from.

Yeah you can dismiss Oberlin student body as a bunch of far left radicals as O'Keefed was trying to do, but the reality is that many of the people currently running for President are every bit as radical in their positions. I can only basis my opinions on what the candidates are actually saying, If they're lying just to get votes that's on them not me.

• dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228
    Gaybob sure is a monstrous pussy.

Carry on.
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

He's actually correct.

If you're supporting single payer you're certainly as far to the left as any Oberlin student. If you're supporting reparations, and free college, and the Green New Deal, the Oberlin student body isn't any further to the left than you are.
    It would appear that I did misread what you wrote. If we're limiting the comparison to the current group of D candidates, sure, of that group,... I can certainly admit that a good portion would likely have felt comfortable at Oberlin as an undergraduate.

No further questions
    Single payer is a far left position now? Supporting cleaner and better energy is far left now?
    2001400ex said:

Single payer is a far left position now? Supporting cleaner and better energy is far left now?

Go fuck yourself Hondo. No, single payer is a right-wing conservative position.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,029 Founders Club
    edited June 2019

DJDuck said:

But but but we can’t afford it 😢

Oberlin College pleads poverty to jury deciding on punitive damages

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/06/oberlin_college_pleads_poverty_to_jury_deciding_on_punitive_damages.html

Oberlin has a decent endowment, but that will hurt them. They'll survive, but that's a bad day at the office for the endowment committee.

The rub, though, is that Oberlin, like a lot of these wealthy small private colleges, are the main game in town. They generate a lot of economic activity for the places they find themselves in that are otherwise in the middle of bumblefuck nowhere. Although Oberlin is less than an hour outside Cleveland, so it's not as isolated as its peer Kenyon out in Gambier.
    Yeah Oberlin is $887 million for 2800 kids. In comparison PLU and SPU both have around the same amount of students and have endowments of around $100 million a piece.

Of the top snowflake colleges, Middleburry is really skrong at $1.1 billion for 2500 students.
    I think this all started when someone was trying to make the point that Oberlin is not a token example of a liberal group of people. "Merely liberal" was the phrase I believe. And that's correct. Oberlin is radically liberal and likely someplace any kind of centrist or moderate would find difficult to tolerate, and I stand by that point.

No this all started when O'Keefed tried to distance himself from the leftist positions he votes for and supports. Pretty easy to dismiss the Oberlin student body as left wing "extremists" but the reality is that they are no more "extremist" in their politics than the many of the people currently running for the Rat party nomination who O'Keefed will then happily pull the lever for.

Oberlin is radically liberal but then so are most of the people currently running for President and when the election rolls around if one of the candidates who is running, that is every bit as left-wing as your average Oberlin student, O'Keefed won't be concerned about their "extremism."

That's the point.

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Go fuck yourself Hondo. No, single payer is a right-wing conservative position.
    Oh so everything not right wing is far left now? No centrists want single payer or cleaner energy in Bob's world.