Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Peak oil

1235»

Comments

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,577
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Mad_Son said:

The US has not and cannot drill it's way to energy independence. We still consume more than we produce. If our production increased to where we were an oil exporter, the price of oil would tank to where it was not profitable. We would need to have lower production internationally as well as increased production domestically. It is still a positive for the economy today if we produce more oil though.

Peak oil is a real concept insofar as at some point we will have produced more oil than at any other point. So far people have been terrible at predicting that point. Oil is a finite resource and we do produce it faster than it is created though, so we will get there even if we don't intentionally move away from oil due to non-economic factors.

Climate change is real and the globe is warming at an unprecedented rate because of human inputs to the atmosphere, among other factors. There is a real cost to the future in burning fossil fuels today.

Source: myself - I have a PhD in geophysics and experience in oil exploration and production at one of the largest oil companies in the world. The rest of you can fuck off if you disagree because your opinions are worthless.

The US is basically already there and Global Warming is a hoax but ok.

I know that’s what they tell you in Texas. Alternative facts.

I disagree with how Dems want to tackle it, though. Their solutions aren’t final.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,577
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    USMChawk said:

PurpleJ said:

Obama was only "pro-oil" if you live so far left that you believe "not doing enough to stop it" is the same as you know, actively helping the industry. JFC.

Yep, that's J, biggest leftie bastard I know.
    MAKE LOVE NOT WAR!!!!
    If it’s a popular war you can do both.
    I’m against war.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,948
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Mad_Son said:

The US has not and cannot drill it's way to energy independence. We still consume more than we produce. If our production increased to where we were an oil exporter, the price of oil would tank to where it was not profitable. We would need to have lower production internationally as well as increased production domestically. It is still a positive for the economy today if we produce more oil though.

Peak oil is a real concept insofar as at some point we will have produced more oil than at any other point. So far people have been terrible at predicting that point. Oil is a finite resource and we do produce it faster than it is created though, so we will get there even if we don't intentionally move away from oil due to non-economic factors.

Climate change is real and the globe is warming at an unprecedented rate because of human inputs to the atmosphere, among other factors. There is a real cost to the future in burning fossil fuels today.

Source: myself - I have a PhD in geophysics and experience in oil exploration and production at one of the largest oil companies in the world. The rest of you can fuck off if you disagree because your opinions are worthless.

This is why nuclear needs to be a big part of the near future
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    PurpleJ said:

Mad_Son said:

I disagree with how Dems want to tackle it, though. Their solutions aren’t final.
    The EIA and Energy Dept are now in Texas?
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,755
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2019
    PurpleJ said:

Mad_Son said:

Had to work it in, didn't you? BAMN.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Mad_Son said:

We had a really cold February. And now you're trying to tell me earth is getting warmer??
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,021
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    I refuse to accept any green gaia global religionist as serious until they can tell me how much the US should spend and what it will accomplish. We spend tens of billions on sticking a corn byproduct in our gasoline so we can pretend that we are making a difference. There is no material difference in net CO2 emissions from using ethanol. The US produces 15% of the world’s CO2 while the chi coms produce about double of that. Our CO2 production is declining – largely as a result of using natural gas to produce electricity rather than coal. The chi coms are increasing CO2 production. The Euros, Indians and chi coms are still building coal plants. We aren’t.
    If leftards were serious about reducing CO2 production we would be building nuclear power plants and fracking on federal lands and exporting massive amounts of LNG to Europe and Asia. But leftards are not serious and could give a crap about family wage jobs for Americans. The solution is for us to freeze in the dark.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2019
    BearsWiin said:

Mad_Son said:

This is why nuclear needs to be a big part of the near future
    What could go wrong???? I miss the real lefties of the 60's and 70's that opposed nuclear energy.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Mad_Son said:

We had a really cold February. And now you're trying to tell me earth is getting warmer??
    Everyone does it is a running joke here but everyone does it

That's the great thing about the weather. It will eventually prove both sides on anecdotal evidence