Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Peak oil

Comments

• GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,149

Also all we heard about for years how we need to get away from middle eastern oil and be energy independent. Well here we are.

Now it’s we need to use no oil. Dumb fucks need to fuck off.

Anyone who is that alarmist is a dumb fuck. But peak oil is absolutely a real problem. But since it won't happen in our lifetime we can expect a predictable amount of inaction.
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,870 Standard Supporter
    Peak oil was all the rage in the early 2000s particularly with leftards. Science. Sure eventually they will be correct. Most likely because of new technology. Just like the internal combustion engine replaced horses. Because of all that free market inaction.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Also all we heard about for years how we need to get away from middle eastern oil and be energy independent. Well here we are.

Anyone who is that alarmist is a dumb fuck. But peak oil is absolutely a real problem. But since it won't happen in our lifetime we can expect a predictable amount of inaction.
    Sure. Reminds me of when I was told in 1974 we’d be out of oil in the 90s. Meanwhile there are more known reserves than ever.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,929
    We will never run out of oil

Sure. Reminds me of when I was told in 1974 we’d be out of oil in the 90s. Meanwhile there are more known reserves than ever.
    And there will continue to be as newer technology makes it more practical to access reserves that were previously not economical to extract. It ain't happening any time soon, or any generation soon. But that doesn't mean it's something we should ignore.

And there will continue to be as newer technology makes it more practical to access reserves that were previously not economical to extract. It ain't happening any time soon, or any generation soon. But that doesn't mean it's something we should ignore.
    Is the science settled on how the earth creates oil?
    edited June 2019
    SFGbob said:

"We will never run out of a finite resource"

So what's your theory then? Earth first gets incinerated by the exploding sun in 5 billion years? An asteroid hits us first? Or do we just good old fashioned kill ourselves before we run out of oil?

SFGbob said:

So what's your theory then? Earth first gets incinerated by the exploding sun in 5 billion years? An asteroid hits us first? Or do we just good old fashioned kill ourselves before we run out of oil?
    The science is settled that it’s finite?
    edited June 2019

SFGbob said:

I'm convinced. How could it not be? Even rocks are finite if we turn enough of them into sand.

SFGbob said:

I'm convinced. How could it not be? Even rocks are finite if we turn enough of them into sand.
    There’s research happening that might challenge that notion. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fool.com/amp/investing/general/2014/10/12/forget-what-youve-heard-oil-and-gas-are-actually-r.aspx
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,838
    If we import all the hot Venezuelans we will never run out of hot girls

Throbber2020

SFGbob said:

There’s research happening that might challenge that notion. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fool.com/amp/investing/general/2014/10/12/forget-what-youve-heard-oil-and-gas-are-actually-r.aspx
    Hey I'm all for it. If this innovation pans out and can economically turn our literal shit into oil, then sign me the fuck up.

SFGbob said:

Hey I'm all for it. If this innovation pans out and can economically turn our literal shit into oil, then sign me the fuck up.
    But then you run into the horror of global warming.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,682
    Fracking should be BANNED unless it can be proven that it doesn’t leak chemicals into the water table.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,682

Who was the idiot about 10 years ago on dawgman or maybe HHB who blathered on about peak oil and it was within a year or so away?

@CirrhosisDawg

And some need to get to know @tacotrojan

SFGbob said:

But then you run into the horror of global warming.
    Sure, preferably you get renewable and environmentally friendly. The trick was, is, and will remain making it economical.

SFGbob said:

Oil may become more scarce and we may no longer use it in the way we do now but yes, we'll never run out of oil. You really believe that there will come a day where there is no oil on earth?

We'd transition off of oil long before that day every arrived.
    edited June 2019
    PurpleJ said:

Fracking should be BANNED unless it can be proven that it doesn’t leak chemicals into the water table.

You should be banned until you prove you're not a dumbfuck.

https://www.cred.org/studies-show-fracking-safe/
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,838
    PurpleJ said:

@frackingdawg true?
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Oil may become more scarce and we may no longer use it in the way we do now but yes, we'll never run out of oil. You really believe that there will come a day where there is no oil on earth?

We'd transition off of oil long before that day every arrived.
    Fair point. Though I don't think we'll ever find anything as economical as oil until we can figure out how to harness hydrogen.