Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Cooper McDonald, 2020 3* LB, Justin (Northwest), TX (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    So is this kid any good? 10 pages nothing on the kid
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    chuck said:

This seems like a good time to remind everyone that no one on this bored has the slightest idea of how to evaluate high school football film

@chuck does. No idea if he has weighed in here.
    Thanks for remembering the times I was right Fremonttroll. The only ILB recruits I can remember excited about under this staff were Kaho and Heimuli, while I was at least optimistic if not excited about Calvert and Tupetala (sp?).

I really dont get it with this guy. Good prospects are exceptional for their position in at least one area. At ILB it either needs to be pure speed/explosiveness (BBK, Marquis Cooper, Heimuli) or an exceptional combo of size and speed (Mason Foster, Donald Butler). Size alone is worthless (see Sirmon, Manu).

Small guys with speed have a way better chance of working out than mediocre athletes that are already big enough. That's the category this guy fits. I'm amazed the staff doesn't get this.
    Scouting report from last page.
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    Swaye said:

This seems like a good time to remind everyone that no one on this bored has the slightest idea of how to evaluate high school football film

Like I said, I trust the coaches. They like this kid. Good enough for me. I don't give two shits that his other offers are from midlevel big 12 schools
    I'm just not sure how we can say "I trust the corches" when we have arrived at year 6 with Manu and Wellington as our starting ILBs. Perhaps we shouldn't be trusting the coaches with this position group. They haven't done fuckall to earn it.
    Wellington has all the physical talent, the kid just can't put it together upstairs. We are missing Beavers, Eifler, and Kaho would probably be getting significant playing time. Shit happens. Linebacker core has been depleted due to various reasons. It doesn't mean the coaches aren't good at evaluating talent. It is beyond stupid that people keep bringing up Manu when talking about this kid.
  • Options
    how is this a doogman post? It is basic fact. Would we be better with Beavers over Manu? Yes. Would we be better with Eifler? Yes. Would we be better with Kaho? Yes. Those are all talented players that for one reason or another are no longer with the program. My points are purely in regards to evaluating talent. There were fuck ups by coaches in other areas but you would have to be really fucked up on peyote to say they weren't talented.

I'm not giving the coaches a pass for our LB core right now. My arguments in this thread have been people writing this kid off before he even steps foot on campus. Many are comparing him to Manu which is just plain stupid. He is way more athletic than Manu, hell he looks like he would be a step up as a HS SR then what we have with Manu. The whole "Wellington and Manu suck so our coaches suck" argument is stupid. Wellington can't think and run at the same time and Manu is just Manu.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Like I said, I trust the coaches. They like this kid. Good enough for me. I don't give two shits that his other offers are from midlevel big 12 schools
    I'm just not sure how we can say "I trust the corches" when we have arrived at year 6 with Manu and Wellington as our starting ILBs. Perhaps we shouldn't be trusting the coaches with this position group. They haven't done fuckall to earn it.
    Wellington has all the physical talent, the kid just can't put it together upstairs. We are missing Beavers, Eifler, and Kaho would probably be getting significant playing time. Shit happens. Linebacker core has been depleted due to various reasons. It doesn't mean the coaches aren't good at evaluating talent. It is beyond stupid that people keep bringing up Manu when talking about this kid.
    Aside from picking up a fumble and running it in for a TD, I've not seen Wellington do anything particularly impressive from a physical standpoint. If you're a dumbass, but one who at least can run and hit, you have a hell of a lot more than 39 total tackles through 8 games starting at an ILB spot. The guy is the exact same size as BBK was and people said BBK was too small, etc. Stop it with the "Wellington has talent" false narrative that was started by DDY 2 years ago as he (illogically) ranted about BBK.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,638
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

These same coaches recruited Manu. It brings their evaluation of lbs into question, just like the other failures that led to Wellington and Manu being the best inside linebackers on the roster. That's the point.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

Swaye said:

These same coaches recruited Manu. It brings their evaluation of lbs into question, just like the other failures that led to Wellington and Manu being the best inside linebackers on the roster. That's the point.
    @chuck thanks for providing my answer for me
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    chuck said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Swaye said:

It's so weird. I'm more doogish than many/most here. I'm quick to praise coaches, slow to turn on them, and eager for signs that they're improving after I have turned on them. It boggles my mind that anyone could be defensive of the staff over the dumpster fire that is our* ILB situation though.

This staff has exactly one success at the position (BBK). The other good ILBs were Sark recruits. The quality looks decent among the first and second year players, but far from stellar or they would be having an impact already.

I'm in the "they suck until they dont" camp with regards to those responsible for linebackers. It's an easy place to be when they have so clearly sucked so far and the sample size, this being year six, is not a small one.
    Statistically speaking it is still a small sample but again, that’s football. The trajectory of a program can be completely changed based on one or two wins or a handful of players.

We don’t have the luxury of waiting for the long run before judging Bob Gregory.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Five years ago when this program was a step above shambles
  • Options
    I guess McDonald is fucked because these coaches offered Manu. Fucking stupid. I like this place but the herd mentality is bs
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,473
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited November 2019

I guess McDonald is fucked because these coaches offered Manu. Fucking stupid. I like this place but the herd mentality is bs

If you don't want a place with a herd mentality, you can LEAVE and go over to BDTW
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

If you don't want a place with a herd mentality, you can LEAVE and go over to BDTW
    Mrs gregory identified on these boards.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Just calling it like I see it. In case you missed it, I used the fuck off icon on you. That is my way off telling you to fuck off. Cool huh?
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,638
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Have you even looked at his highlights? He's the textbook JAG. You're only basis for defending him and his offer is that kyler manu alone is not evidence that he sucks. Do you have anything else?
  • Options
    chuck said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Swaye said:

It's so weird. I'm more doogish than many/most here. I'm quick to praise coaches, slow to turn on them, and eager for signs that they're improving after I have turned on them. It boggles my mind that anyone could be defensive of the staff over the dumpster fire that is our* ILB situation though.

This staff has exactly one success at the position (BBK). The other good ILBs were Sark recruits. The quality looks decent among the first and second year players, but far from stellar or they would be having an impact already.

I'm in the "they suck until they dont" camp with regards to those responsible for linebackers. It's an easy place to be when they have so clearly sucked so far and the sample size, this being year six, is not a small one.
    I guess reading comprehension isn't a big deal here. I've stated multiple times that we shouldn't write off Cooper McDonald because of Kyler Manu. I don't get why that is so hard to get. I'm not defending our coaches, I am defending their talent evaluations. So they struck out with Manu, oh well. The same people on here wishing we had Nick Bolton were pissing and moaning that we offered some 3 star from Texas.

We will just have to wait and see how this kid does.