Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Cooper McDonald, 2020 3* LB, Justin (Northwest), TX (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Why don’t want the best recruit at ILB in a class to be Texas Tech caliber. That’s not good enough.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Limited
    That's not Coop, but...

As a former thrower myself, I think the throws are one of the great inefficiencies in American sports. Explosive, agile behemoths that football has NEVER, to my extensive knowledge, mined for athletes. I think Arizona had a monster of a hammer thrower who was an immediate starter at OT...

Suffice it to say, I love that Coop is a Texas state champion in discus as a junior. Love it.
    Who was that? They had De Beer who also threw discus but he was recruited for football and still took awhile to develop. He was also massively huge.
  • Options

This seems like a good time to remind everyone that no one on this bored has the slightest idea of how to evaluate high school football film

@chuck does. No idea if he has weighed in here.
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Limited
    That's not Coop, but...

As a former thrower myself, I think the throws are one of the great inefficiencies in American sports. Explosive, agile behemoths that football has NEVER, to my extensive knowledge, mined for athletes. I think Arizona had a monster of a hammer thrower who was an immediate starter at OT...

Suffice it to say, I love that Coop is a Texas state champion in discus as a junior. Love it.
    Who was that? They had De Beer who also threw discus but he was recruited for football and still took awhile to develop. He was also massively huge.
    That must have been him, but I could have sworn he was hammer. Wasn't he on a track scholarship and walked on? What has become of him?

And being massively huge is the point... Shot put, discus, and hammer attract the massively huge, and select for the most agile/athletic.
  • Options

Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Limited
    That's not Coop, but...

Just looked it up, yeah that's who I meant. Apparently he recruited himself, he wanted to play football, and Arizona let him walk on while on a scholarship for discus. I was wrong about immediate starter, but apparently a two year starter and he got some NFL tire kicking and is in the XFL.
  • Options
    Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Limited
    That's not Coop, but...

Just looked it up, yeah that's who I meant. Apparently he recruited himself, he wanted to play football, and Arizona let him walk on while on a scholarship for discus. I was wrong about immediate starter, but apparently a two year starter and he got some NFL tire kicking and is in the XFL.
    Yeah he was South African I don’t even know if they have football there. Even though he walked on I was in Tucson at the time and they were excited about him. Kinda surprised he didn’t stick in the nfl with his size and athleticism.
  • Options

Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Limited
    That's not Coop, but...

Yeah he was South African I don’t even know if they have football there. Even though he walked on I was in Tucson at the time and they were excited about him. Kinda surprised he didn’t stick in the nfl with his size and athleticism.
    Apparently the most football he played before Arizona was Madden. He started at DL, then TE before settling at OT.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Cole didn’t even get a sniff from anyone of those others but us. His 2nd best offer is Baylor or Texas Tech...

Yeah, you're right he fucking sucks because Texas Tech and Baylor want him to play football for them. Kid should just give up and focus on the discus, maybe he can make the Olympics.
    If Utah thinks a player is a good defender and offers ... good chance he is

Matt Ruhle is a damn good coach and there’s a reason why Baylor is undefeated ... I trust his evaluations

Matt Wells is doing some good things in Lubbock on the back of doing some really good things at Utah St ... he’s pretty damn good as well

Offers from any of these programs I wouldn’t call as representative of sucking
    Utah offered Kyler Manu too
    Kyler Manu is also a great example of why you never offer a player to try to get an in with a future player
    I don’t think they did. In hindsight that sounds good.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Bruener’s going to be a player tho. He’s really good.

Lol @everyone questioning his speed. He’s ran a low 4.6 40. You see he’s fast on his hudl tho
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Cole didn’t even get a sniff from anyone of those others but us. His 2nd best offer is Baylor or Texas Tech...

Yeah, you're right he fucking sucks because Texas Tech and Baylor want him to play football for them. Kid should just give up and focus on the discus, maybe he can make the Olympics.

Matt Ruhle is a damn good coach and there’s a reason why Baylor is undefeated ... I trust his evaluations

Matt Wells is doing some good things in Lubbock on the back of doing some really good things at Utah St ... he’s pretty damn good as well

Kyler Manu is also a great example of why you never offer a player to try to get an in with a future player
    Manu was the in for togiai and we all know how that turned out.

Plus malloe was recruiting like shit at the beginning until he got it together.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

It’s more of a point to those that think it matters to recruit other players at a school to get other big fish ... wasting any scholarship isn’t a bright idea
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,380
    Founders Club

Why don’t want the best recruit at ILB in a class to be Texas Tech caliber. That’s not good enough.

• Options
    chuck said:

This seems like a good time to remind everyone that no one on this bored has the slightest idea of how to evaluate high school football film

@chuck does. No idea if he has weighed in here.
    Thanks for remembering the times I was right Fremonttroll. The only ILB recruits I can remember excited about under this staff were Kaho and Heimuli, while I was at least optimistic if not excited about Calvert and Tupetala (sp?).

I really dont get it with this guy. Good prospects are exceptional for their position in at least one area. At ILB it either needs to be pure speed/explosiveness (BBK, Marquis Cooper, Heimuli) or an exceptional combo of size and speed (Mason Foster, Donald Butler). Size alone is worthless (see Sirmon, Manu).

Small guys with speed have a way better chance of working out than mediocre athletes that are already big enough. That's the category this guy fits. I'm amazed the staff doesn't get this.
    I stand with chuck then. FTG.
  • Options

animate said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Pretty sure that’s a convenient narrative for why we took a shitty player like Manu. It maybe played a small role, but I really think they simply misevaluated Manu it couldn’t get someone who was better. IIRC, he committed pretty early before his senior year.
    I think it was this. That 2015 class was really a struggle they couldn’t beat out any real competition.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231

animate said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Pretty sure that’s a convenient narrative for why we took a shitty player like Manu. It maybe played a small role, but I really think they simply misevaluated Manu it couldn’t get someone who was better. IIRC, he committed pretty early before his senior year.
    Yeah, I agree with you. Sounded suspicious at the time but it was sold as some grand plan to mine Idaho's finest.

Instead that fat fuck coach steered him to Urban's former playground
  • Options
    NothingburgerNothingburger Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Name Dropper
    Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Limited
    That's not Coop, but...

I'm pretty sure this isn't allowed anymore, you can't be on scholarship on a "lesser sport" and walk on to a football team (or basketball I think). This is to stop teams from stashing kids on other sports and allowing them to play football. If you want to walk on to the football team, you either have to get put on a football scholarship or give up your existing scholarship to the track team.
  • Options

Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Limited
    That's not Coop, but...

I'm pretty sure this isn't allowed anymore, you can't be on scholarship on a "lesser sport" and walk on to a football team (or basketball I think). This is to stop teams from stashing kids on other sports and allowing them to play football. If you want to walk on to the football team, you either have to get put on a football scholarship or give up your existing scholarship to the track team.
    I thought that was always true. Not sure the specifics of De Beer’s scholarship situation. Maybe he had that blood diamond money.