Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Alternative theory: Why was Pete hired?

Comments

• BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    “22 points stood between a Natty in 2017 and a Rose Bowl win over tOSU in 2019” -Pump, 2035
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited May 2019
    Baseman said:

“22 points stood between a Natty in 2017 and a Rose Bowl win over tOSU in 2019” -Pump, 2035

? The grave has room For 1 more. Allow me. Actually Stalin. Commies love silencing those like you.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,483
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

Pete was hired to get us to replace Stanford in the Pac 12 pecking order. Good enough to win the conference, not worth discussing for the playoffs.

The sooner you fucktards realize this the faster you'll join me for another beer.

This is fucking retarded. PETE GOT US TO THE FUCKING PLAYOFF. AS IN WE PLAYED IN IT. WITH JAKE FUCKING BROWNING.
    Stanford's in the playoff if not for a fucktarded loss to Northwestern at the beginning of the year. Be better.
    Did Shaw get to playoff haie? Lofl
    I mean you use the same hypothetical shit to excuse Lambo. I'm talking about 1 non con game against fucking Northwestern.
    You're showing how stupid you really are haie. Now back to class. You'll get it when you watch more than 3 years of husky football you little putz. I got a few days b4 I hit Europe. Allow me to put you in same grave as Baze b4 I depart
    I'm still here, bitch!
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

Pete was hired to get us to replace Stanford in the Pac 12 pecking order. Good enough to win the conference, not worth discussing for the playoffs.

The sooner you fucktards realize this the faster you'll join me for another beer.

This is fucking retarded. PETE GOT US TO THE FUCKING PLAYOFF. AS IN WE PLAYED IN IT. WITH JAKE FUCKING BROWNING.
    Stanford's in the playoff if not for a fucktarded loss to Northwestern at the beginning of the year. Be better.
    I mean you use the same hypothetical shit to excuse Lambo. I'm talking about 1 non con game against fucking Northwestern.
    You're showing how stupid you really are haie. Now back to class. You'll get it when you watch more than 3 years of husky football you little putz. I got a few days b4 I hit Europe. Allow me to put you in same grave as Baze b4 I depart
    Let me guess. You aren't going to Denmark, Sweden, Germany, or Norway.

You're going to Spain or France like a bitch.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,483
    Founders Club
    haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

He's going to Greece.
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,556
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

One of the reasons I think it's so important for bottom up pressure on Pete and the program is we know it is never going to come top down. But astonishingly, in any business - your core constituents matter a lot. It's hard to ignore people who spend a lot of time involved with what you do criticizing you.

I believe in Pete, but coaches have to evolve and improve.

In saying that I want Pete to bring in top 10 recruiting classes and play talent, I'm not saying I want him fired. That binary is peddled by Doogs who are more afraid of failure than they want success. Pete is amazing. I love him.

I think if Pete thought long and hard about all the issues we discuss he would mostly come down on the side of the half-brains.

However, change is really hard. Pete always preaches about 'getting out of your comfort zone' - and those things are usually mantras because they are very personally important to the person espousing them. Pete has a massive comfort zone and Jen and the Cauce are NOT going to push him outside of it.

Yes it stings to lose to Ohio State, Penn State, Auburn, USC and Bama looking outclassed athletically... but dispersed over 3 years of 'we're just happy to be here' it doesn't sting that bad.

Everyone here knows at Bama you have top shelf athletes and top shelf effort and execution. At Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia and Oklahoma you have the same. What separates us from those teams is the way we carry ourselves.

Right now, Clemson is basically - if you take our program and put it through Oregon's marketing lens. I think all of us would appreciate that.

The more criticism of the program the better in my view. I'm HAPPY to trumpet our accomplishments and I think playing for Pete is most likely one of the best CFB experiences you could ever have.

But one of the failures of modern Dawg fans is to strive for being the best. Everything is about avoiding failure and everything we do is measured by how close we are to 0-12. That was true under Ty (4-9 was FOUR wins after all!) and it's true now. People want to act like things have changed, but that 'at least it's not XYZ' is still strong and alive in our fanbase. We just have new numbers to plug into the XYZ that makes the argument look better without actually being better.

The focus should always be: We are a great university in a great city with a great stadium, great tradition and a great fanbase. No one is close in the north and we should be one of the top 10 teams in the country every year.

If in the next 10 years we average being ranked 8th at season's end I can live with that.

What I can't live with is this 'IT'S BETTER THAN SARK/TY, DO YOU WANT TO GO BACK???'

Fuck that. Grab the fucking brass ring and have some fucking ambition. This is fucking America. Try to be the best or fuck off. It's one of the things our culture really got right.

I'm not here to fucking hero worship a coach. I love Pete and I personally admire him, but we need Rose Bowl wins. There is no fucking reason we shouldn't have them.

OUT OF ALL PLACES this place should know that. In the modern landscape of CFB we are set up to do GREAT things. We need to actually want them instead of being afraid it's all going to unravel.

Scared money don't make.

Everything about our BS fan base is scared money. Let's be the fucking best. The end.

This means something.

I agree.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

LIPO.

We were in the playoffs year 3 and half the team (defense) belonged, with far less talented players.

Respectable-ish losses the past 2 years in NY6 games.

I have to believe Pete will break through eventually because I really doubt another coach is going to do better.

Pete is winning at a historic clip. He just needs to break through on the big stage. With the way recruiting is trending I have to think he will. The offense is the concern, same as it was the past 2 years.

I'll let Race score that one, as he tends to be less emotional and biased about game analysis than I.

There were elements in all three losses of UW having its ass handed to it for a stretch. I gave Pete all the credit in the world for the half-tim adjustments that kept the PSU score respectable. But in all three, for a significant stretch of the game, UW looked outclassed.

You can't just concede an entire half of football to really good and athletic teams. So that's on somebody. I'll let you decide who, because I don't know.

And the other thing that provides important context is that he's winning at an historic clip in a conference that is now a shell of its former self. It is what it is; don't twist. I'm not playing the "USC is down"' or "Oregon is down" game. Most of the conference is what Oregon State and Cal used to take care of on their own.
    Everything you said is true. Against PSU and OSU espacially UW was outclassed but weathered the storm and came back. That takes good coaching.

UW also plays overly conservative initially which is bad coaching. The players seem intimidated.

The Pac 12 stuff is also valid.

I still dont see another alternative that has us in this position. Pete is the guy and hopefully he improves.
    If you have the talent to go toe to toe with top 10 teams in a bowl game, but cant do it until garbage time, that is NOT good coaching. That's when you got your ass handed to you by the other coach. Penn State and Ohio State were good teams. But neither one of them had a defense that anyone was scared of. Except Jake Browning I guess.

Of the three NY6 games, UW was ready to play in exactly one of them. And then Saban said enough was enough after the first possession and clamped down. Game over. I'd say that was the best coaching job however as the talent disparity between Bama and UW was yuuuge. Much more than 17 pts. The other two games, UW wasn't ready to play.

Pete was known as the ultimate long term prep coach at BSU, with his BCS bowl wins and success in first games of the Season against Oregon twice and Georgia if I remember correctly. However that obviously hasnt carried over to UW. Why? Who knows. Pete's BSU teams weren't more talented than his teams at UW. One thing is clear however. Pete is a very good coach but He isn't 92-12 good. Only Saban, Urbs and now Dabo are. Pete has had the advantage of a historically shitty Pac 12 to beat up on by being the only team that can play tough hard nosed Football. Pete is a guy that can win Pac 12 titles and MAYBE can eek out a Rose Bowl win should the Big 10 send someone to the CFP in a non Rose Bowl year for the CFP . However, I don't see him making another CFP run himself. While the schedule screams 12-1 this year, Petes Dawgs always find a way to lose 1 or 2 games that they have no business losing. Until that doesn't happen, the Rose Bowl is the ceiling.
    edited May 2019

salemcoog said:

LIPO.

We were in the playoffs year 3 and half the team (defense) belonged, with far less talented players.

I have to believe Pete will break through eventually because I really doubt another coach is going to do better.

Pete is winning at a historic clip. He just needs to break through on the big stage. With the way recruiting is trending I have to think he will. The offense is the concern, same as it was the past 2 years.

I'll let Race score that one, as he tends to be less emotional and biased about game analysis than I.

There were elements in all three losses of UW having its ass handed to it for a stretch. I gave Pete all the credit in the world for the half-tim adjustments that kept the PSU score respectable. But in all three, for a significant stretch of the game, UW looked outclassed.

You can't just concede an entire half of football to really good and athletic teams. So that's on somebody. I'll let you decide who, because I don't know.

And the other thing that provides important context is that he's winning at an historic clip in a conference that is now a shell of its former self. It is what it is; don't twist. I'm not playing the "USC is down"' or "Oregon is down" game. Most of the conference is what Oregon State and Cal used to take care of on their own.
    Everything you said is true. Against PSU and OSU espacially UW was outclassed but weathered the storm and came back. That takes good coaching.

UW also plays overly conservative initially which is bad coaching. The players seem intimidated.

I still dont see another alternative that has us in this position. Pete is the guy and hopefully he improves.
    If you have the talent to go toe to toe with top 10 teams in a bowl game, but cant do it until garbage time, that is NOT good coaching. That's when you got your ass handed to you by the other coach. Penn State and Ohio State were good teams. But neither one of them had a defense that anyone was scared of. Except Jake Browning I guess.

Of the three NY6 games, UW was ready to play in exactly one of them. And then Saban said enough was enough after the first possession and clamped down. Game over. I'd say that was the best coaching job however as the talent disparity between Bama and UW was yuuuge. Much more than 17 pts. The other two games, UW wasn't ready to play.

Pete was known as the ultimate long term prep coach at BSU, with his BCS bowl wins and success in first games of the Season against Oregon twice and Georgia if I remember correctly. However that obviously hasnt carried over to UW. Why? Who knows. Pete's BSU teams weren't more talented than his teams at UW. One thing is clear however. Pete is a very good coach but He isn't 92-12 good. Only Saban, Urbs and now Dabo are. Pete has had the advantage of a historically shitty Pac 12 to beat up on by being the only team that can play tough hard nosed Football. Pete is a guy that can win Pac 12 titles and MAYBE can eek out a Rose Bowl win should the Big 10 send someone to the CFP in a non Rose Bowl year for the CFP . However, I don't see him making another CFP run himself. While the schedule screams 12-1 this year, Petes Dawgs always find a way to lose 1 or 2 games that they have no business losing. Until that doesn't happen, the Rose Bowl is the ceiling.
    You are who your record says you are

I agree in the bowl games but not much of the rest.

I think Pete can get back to being an 11 win top 10 team AND win an Apple Cup and a shitty Pac 12

Might want to examine why your cuogs can't come within 20 of him
    I covered that, but you already knew that.

But here ya go again.

Pete has had the advantage of a historically shitty Pac 12 to beat up on by being the only team that can play tough hard nosed Football

I'm gonna step out and let y'all be butthurt TBS'ers.
  • AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,977
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This bored made me forget I just watched the best 3 year stretch of Husky football anyone on this bored (Except Race, he was a freshman in Gloomy Gil's first year) have ever seen in person that didn't result in crippling sanctions.

We should be much better.

Losing Bowl games sucks. I get it. That was a long 3 hours getting out of the Fiesta Bowl parking lot and Rose Bowl parking lot. And I'm one of the guys on this bored that actually hates money and goes to at least 9 games a year. And I'm a poor to begin with. But if anyone here actually thinks UW has any interest in ever becoming the kind of program that can compete yearly with the Alabama's and current Clemson's of the world, you have not paid attention to anything Seattle lately. It doesn't coincide at all with what UW upper campus views themselves as. Right or wrong, that's what it is.

So for me, the option is, bitch about Pete's shortcomings, but realize that it is never going to get any better and just shoot for the hook and ladder from Pettis or the onside kick at the end of the RB end up working once in a while and enjoying the fact I haven't had to see a home loss in person for over 2 seasons. Yes, doogish I know, but it kinda is what it is.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,467
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    salemcoog said:

LIPO.

That's a lot of words to say "I'm a butthurt WSU fan"
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

Imagine being scared of little mediterrannean men
    edited May 2019

But its a historically great CUOG team who only needed to win a home game to win the historically shitty Pac 12

Congrats on sounding like a doog telling Oregon their run was only due to a bad Pac 12

The Pac 12 is something like 5-20 in bowl games during your run.

Your?

The Pac has been top heavy for as long as I have been alive. Most leagues are.

Better to be the top than the bitter loser

Idaho and Montana used to be in the Pacific Coast league. And WSC

Are you replying to a cloud again???
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

I'm a Swede dude. (Blond locks dude, where u been?)