Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

National Emergencies

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,077
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

"National security emergencies" are the default dictator power abuse excuse.

Why didn't I hear this for the 28 we have?
    Because there are good reasons for them?

Just a guess.

My second guess is that you don't notice things that don't fit your narrative.

Did I win?
    You pretty concerned about Yemen are you?

You lose
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,559
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    JFC - there are 31 active National Emergencies in effect. There is only 1 or 2 of these that dealt with the US - the rest are knee jerk reactions I think to appease some loud mouth (could be an org, individual, assn, or a ranking member of Congress) and his special cause.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_emergencies_in_the_United_States

Yes Wikipedia is my source
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Meanwhile Master Beto Kennedy is demanding the existing Wall be torn down ‘cause Barriers are too effective.

Can’t make this shit up.
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Because they actually were emergencies, not fake emergencies designed to work around what Congress has already refused to fund.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,559
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Because they actually were emergencies, not fake emergencies designed to work around what Congress has already refused to fund.
    better read what those "real emergencies" were
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    And congress has funded a wall many times
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    . Blocking Iranian Government Property (Nov. 14, 1979)
    2. Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction (Nov. 14, 1994)
    3. Prohibiting Transactions with Terrorists Who Threaten to Disrupt the Middle East Peace Process (Jan. 23, 1995)
    4. Prohibiting Certain Transactions with Respect to the Development of Iranian Petroleum Resources (Mar. 15, 1995)
    5. Blocking Assets and Prohibiting Transactions with Significant Narcotics Traffickers (Oct. 21, 1995)
    6. Regulations of the Anchorage and Movement of Vessels with Respect to Cuba (Mar. 1, 1996)
    7. Blocking Sudanese Government Property and Prohibiting Transactions with Sudan (Nov. 3, 1997)
    8. Blocking Property of Persons Who Threaten International Stabilization Efforts in the Western Balkans (Jun. 26, 2001)
    9. Continuation of Export Control Regulations (Aug. 17, 2001)
    10. Declaration of National Emergency by Reason of Certain Terrorist Attacks (Sept. 14, 2001)
    11. Blocking Property and Prohibiting Transactions with Persons who Commit, Threaten to Commit, or Support Terrorism (Sept. 23, 2001)
    12. Blocking Property of Persons Undermining Democratic Processes or Institutions in Zimbabwe (Mar. 6, 2003)
    13. Protecting the Development Fund for Iraq and Certain Other Property in Which Iraq has an Interest (May 22, 2003)
    14. Blocking Property of Certain Persons and Prohibiting the Export of Certain Goods to Syria (May 11, 2004)
    15. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Undermining Democratic Processes or Institutions in Belarus (Jun. 16, 2006)
    16. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (Oct. 27, 2006)
    17. Blocking Property of Persons Undermining the Sovereignty of Lebanon or Its Democratic Processes and Institutions (Aug. 1, 2007)
    18. Continuing Certain Restrictions with Respect to North Korea and North Korean Nationals (Jun. 26, 2008)
    19. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in Somalia (Apr. 12, 2010)
    20. Blocking Property and Prohibiting Certain Transactions Related to Libya (Feb. 25, 2011)
    21. Blocking Property of Transnational Criminal Organizations (Jul. 25, 2011)
    22. Blocking Property of Persons Threatening the Peace, Security, or Stability of Yemen (May 16, 2012)
    23. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Ukraine (Mar. 6, 2014)
    24. Blocking Property of Certain Persons With Respect to South Sudan (Apr. 3, 2014)
    25. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in the Central African Republic (May 12, 2014)
    26. Blocking Property and Suspending Entry of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Venezuela (Mar. 9, 2015)
    27. Blocking the Property of Certain Persons Engaging in Significant Malicious Cyber-Enabled Activities (Apr. 1, 2015)
    28. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Burundi (Nov. 23, 2015)
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    #6. Did the people in Alaska even get a chance to vote on it?
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

LebamDawg said:

JFC - there are 31 active National Emergencies in effect. There is only 1 or 2 of these that dealt with the US - the rest are knee jerk reactions I think to appease some loud mouth (could be an org, individual, assn, or a ranking member of Congress) and his special cause.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_emergencies_in_the_United_States

Yes Wikipedia is my source

That was the point of my OP and link but I don't follow links either

The honest truth is

Trump declares one and the usual suspects are against it. He needs to do one for opiods!!! Except he did but it was a HEALTH emergency.

My truth is I want a fucking wall and at this point if a national emergency gets it then fine

They do seem to be useless as a whole
    photo AB165816-403B-4042-B39D-51E01F792ABD_zpsk12jrb8r.gif
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,331
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    When I don’t get my way, it’s a fucking emergency!
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,332
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    HHusky said:

When I don’t get my way, it’s a fucking emergency!

No need for speed dial Marcus...it's only 3 digits
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    An open border certainly qualifies to people that love the country

So not you H
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

An open border certainly qualifies to people that love the country

So not you H

Race, why didn't you scream about a border wall under Obama? What changed that this is now an emergency?
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,269
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    So like many emergency orders this one can be:

Blocking Property or Persons Threatening the Peace, Security, or Stability of USA.

Blocking Property or Persons Undermining the Sovereignty of the USA or Its Democratic Processes and Institutions

Blocking Property of Transnational Criminal Organizations

Blocking Assets and Prohibiting Transactions with Significant Narcotics Traffickers

Blocking Property of Certain Persons and persons Contributing to drug crime in the USA

Wow change a word or two here and there and it's pretty simple. They all seemed like good reasons for past emergencies. I think it'll work now.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Scream? What are you talking about?

We built 600 miles of wall under Obama and Bush

Are you really this stupid?
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2019
    The entire "emergency" argument is fake on the simple argument that 1) if it were an emergency, it would have been declared an emergency 20 years ago. Since then, illegal crossings have decreased. And 2), Trump is flagrantly contradicting Congress's budget. The president can NOT make his own budget and his own laws.

This is a flagrant abuse of power, a tyrannical move and exactly what the Founders warned about in the Federalist Papers.