Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Ben Yurosek - 2020 3* TE - Bakersfield (Bakersfield Christian), CA - Offered 2/9/19

Comments

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    RealRhino said:

I get this bored is about recruiting, but I still think you have to ask the point of recruiting if not to create results on the field. We are 1 of only 5 schools (Bama, Iowa, Miami, Ole Miss, UW) to have two TEs drafted in the first 4 rounds in the past 3 years.

Normally being drafted highly is a good proxy for playing well in college. So if the guy's recruits, however he got them, are performing (i.e., creating results on the field) better than all but four TE coaches in the entire nation, it's hard for me to criticize his recruiting. "But they could be even better!" I get that. But to me it's a little like bringing in your 8th-inning setup guy when you've got a reliever who is just dealing in the 7th. Yeah, I know it could be better and you've got your process, but there's also a chance that your 8th-inning guy (in this case, Paopao's replacement) just doesn't have it. Maybe recruits a little better but coaches a little worse.

Unless we are paying out huge $$$ to a proven commodity, I'd rather stick with the guy I know is getting the job done better than all but a handful of schools in the country and hope continued draft success leads to increased recruiting success. At some point he's just going to have to point to the Pro Dawgs pictures up in the hallway and kids will sign on their own.

All very good points. But again, all we are concerned about here is how the coaches recruit. Overall package (lulz) and development in handled on the football bored. And by that overall metric the only coach I am meh on is Gregory. His ST suck my asshole and his recruiting is pars at best. He basically sucks ass. Gets some credit for turning BBK from a faggy haired try hard into a complete beast.
  • Options
    LostDoogRewardLostDoogReward Member Posts: 62
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

RealRhino said:

I get this bored is about recruiting, but I still think you have to ask the point of recruiting if not to create results on the field. We are 1 of only 5 schools (Bama, Iowa, Miami, Ole Miss, UW) to have two TEs drafted in the first 4 rounds in the past 3 years.

Normally being drafted highly is a good proxy for playing well in college. So if the guy's recruits, however he got them, are performing (i.e., creating results on the field) better than all but four TE coaches in the entire nation, it's hard for me to criticize his recruiting. "But they could be even better!" I get that. But to me it's a little like bringing in your 8th-inning setup guy when you've got a reliever who is just dealing in the 7th. Yeah, I know it could be better and you've got your process, but there's also a chance that your 8th-inning guy (in this case, Paopao's replacement) just doesn't have it. Maybe recruits a little better but coaches a little worse.

Unless we are paying out huge $$$ to a proven commodity, I'd rather stick with the guy I know is getting the job done better than all but a handful of schools in the country and hope continued draft success leads to increased recruiting success. At some point he's just going to have to point to the Pro Dawgs pictures up in the hallway and kids will sign on their own.

That is what frustrates me about him. Him and the staff got Will Dissly, a 2 star converted defensive lineman with 25 career catches in college drafted in the 4th round. Drew Sample in the 2nd last year. We use two and sometimes three tight end sets frequently. You're going to play, you're going to get developed and you're going to play on Sunday. Why the fuck can't he get better results? There has to be something that he is or isn't doing to get the best talent to come here. We lost out to Air Force last year on Patterson. Now we're trying to sign 3 guys because, big surprise they expect Hunter Bryant to leave early. There's still time left but I would be surprised if it ended up being Redman and a couple Jacob Kizer 2.0's. Not good enough.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Swaye said:

Paopao needs to go. He’s shit the bed two years in a row

Redman is a 4 star uber talent with offers from Bama, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Michigan , USC and Penn State. Ummm....
    The expectation for the TE coach should be one blue chip guy a year. He got literally nothing last year so he needed two this year to break even.

I don't want to fire Paopao, it would just be nice if he could try to recruit. Luckily TE (and RB for that matter) is a position where having a great recruiter matters less.
    Agreed.

If we really get Rogers I’m happy with this TE class. Two studs and a development prospect.

If we don’t offer or get Rogers then it’s going to fall short.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,101
    Founders Club
    edited July 2019

Poapoa got Redman this year. Big get.

He also develops dudes. Two star 8 man footballer former defensive lineman Will Dissly went in the 4th round and shouldve redshirted.

3 star Sample...2nd rounder.

Bryant and Otton look like potential 3rd round or better players as well.

He aint going anywhere, and like @Roaddawg55 said, TE has been the most consistent on the field offensive performers.

Yep, he's great a coaching guys up. But I wonder what he could do with multiple 1st round talents like Redman and Taylor on the field at the same time? We'll never know because he fucking sucks at recruiting.
    Lets wait til they play 1 or 2 years of big boy football before crowning them 1st rounders.
    They have obvious 1st round talent. Sure, they have to be developed in college and play in a system that showcases their ability and stay healthy. If it all comes together for those two guys they will both be 1st round draft picks. The competition for Taylor was nowhere near where it should have been given his talent level. I've heard we lost him to Colorado and I've heard we lost him to Penn State. Either way, that's a terrible loss and you'd have to be shit at sales for him not to clearly see UW is the best opportunity for him.
    Losing someone to Penn State is not a terrible loss. It's not that much further to Happy Valley than it is to Seattle from Colorado. That's losing someone to an equal at this point.
  • Options

He also develops dudes. Two star 8 man footballer former defensive lineman Will Dissly went in the 4th round and shouldve redshirted.

He aint going anywhere, and like @Roaddawg55 said, TE has been the most consistent on the field offensive performers.

Yep, he's great a coaching guys up. But I wonder what he could do with multiple 1st round talents like Redman and Taylor on the field at the same time? We'll never know because he fucking sucks at recruiting.
    Lets wait til they play 1 or 2 years of big boy football before crowning them 1st rounders.
    They have obvious 1st round talent. Sure, they have to be developed in college and play in a system that showcases their ability and stay healthy. If it all comes together for those two guys they will both be 1st round draft picks. The competition for Taylor was nowhere near where it should have been given his talent level. I've heard we lost him to Colorado and I've heard we lost him to Penn State. Either way, that's a terrible loss and you'd have to be shit at sales for him not to clearly see UW is the best opportunity for him.
    Losing someone to Penn State is not a terrible loss. It's not that much further to Happy Valley than it is to Seattle from Colorado. That's losing someone to an equal at this point.
    I went to Google Maps to prove you wrong on this and talk about how Denver is twice as far from Happy Valley as it is from Seattle you stupid fucking doog but turns out I was the stupid fucking doog.

19 1/2 hour drive to Seattle. 23 to Happy Valley.

And it's not even really about the much more rugged terrain heading westbound. Seattle is really only 200 miles closer to Denver.

I had no clue.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,101
    Founders Club
    edited July 2019
    dnc said:

I went to Google Maps to prove you wrong on this and talk about how Denver is twice as far from Happy Valley as it is from Seattle you stupid fucking doog but turns out I was the stupid fucking doog.

And it's not even really about the much more rugged terrain heading westbound. Seattle is really only 200 miles closer to Denver.

I had no clue.
    Geography is a hell of a thing. Colorado is pree close to the center of the cuntry.
  • Options
    WoofWoof Member Posts: 769

dnc said:

I had no clue.
    Geography is a hell of a thing. Colorado is pree close to the center of the cuntry.
    The drive heading east out of Denver just seems like it takes forever because it is boring as fuck until you hit civilization and/or get to Kansas City BBQ. The drive west however is awesome.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Woof said:

dnc said:

I had no clue.
    The drive heading east out of Denver just seems like it takes forever because it is boring as fuck until you hit civilization and/or get to Kansas City BBQ. The drive west however is awesome.
    Can confirm. Anything east of Denver is shit until you reach the other coast. The drive west however.... thru Utah or WY/MT is quite the experience Spring/Fall.
  • Options
    Woof said:

dnc said:

I had no clue.
    Without question
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

I had no clue.
    Hey that is an improvement for ya, last time you thought Bothell was in Easter Washington
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

I get all the “not everyone on staff has to be a recruiter” and that “TE is a hard position to recruit” and all the feasible and legit excuses, but if Scott Huff isn’t just recruiting well HE’S DOMINATING ALMOST EVERYTHING HE TOUCHES, and Junior Adams who looks half asleep in every picture can get Jalen, we can get someone who’s just a littleeeeeeeeee bit better than Paopao right?

No one is saying we need Tosh Lupoi or Nevin Shapiro as the TE coach but do you REALLY think Dev, Redman, & Cade for that matter aren’t going to develop as well in Pete’s system just because Paopao is gone?

PaoPao has the best track record of development on the staff outside maybe Lake and quite honestly I'd probably rank PaoPao's development first.

So yes, I find it unlikely that anyone else is going to come in here and develop kids as well as PaoPao has.

I'd love to hear a list of suggestions.

No one is questioning paopao coaching. Dude is getting guys drafted.
  • Options
    FirePete said:

dnc said:

I had no clue.
    Hey that is an improvement for ya, last time you thought Bothell was in Easter Washington
    Christmas Washington > Easter Washington
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited July 2019
    Denver is almost in the middle of the cuntry
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs

It is a terrible loss when UW has way more to sell a TE than Penn State does. They don't do shit with their TE's in their scheme, they don't put TE's in the league, and they don't recruit elite QB's. So how the fuck does Paopao get beat by them?