Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Ben Yurosek - 2020 3* TE - Bakersfield (Bakersfield Christian), CA - Offered 2/9/19

Comments

• Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,091
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

Stanford fucking sucks.

Colorado is a fucking MWC.

Stop making doog excuses.

Be rational, my dawg. Stanford's academics clearly won out here because if it was a football decision he'd be at UW no question. And maybe Taylor's cat has leukemia. Who the fuck knows? Remember, we're a little biased here and don't know anything when it comes to these kid's decisions. Be angry for a minute and then relax, Green Bay.
  • Options
    LaMichael_CorleoneLaMichael_Corleone Member Posts: 1,316
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    I thought we were taking 3 TE’s?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Paopao better have a good resume writer
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    We? have some amazing recruiters... Lake, Malloe, Huff, Adams. But also some BIG recruiting liabilities on staff too... Kwiatkowski, Bhonerpha, Paopao and Gregory. It's a problem... I hope Pete does something about it.

If we don't get a stud OLB this class, I'm gonna fucking lose it.
  • Options
    DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2019

I thought we were taking 3 TE’s?

Kyle Patterson committed to Air Force.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I knew we weren’t getting him. I don’t tweet, but he just seemed like a Stanford guy.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

I still can’t get on board with this. Elite talent has been the last problem for UW at TE.

Some like to pretend like every championship contender has great recruiters. They don’t. Some of these guys are retread white guys. The schools sell themselves.

I don’t think anyone criticizing UW’s marketing and sales is wrong, but winning helps. The reason we are good is because of Petersen’s system. If we get a stud QB we can win a title. If we don’t or the offense is too fucktarded we won’t.

Petersen can build a strong enough team to contend. Of course we want the best possible players, but we’ve been good enough to contend since 2016. We need our Deshaun Watson or Trevor Lawrence. Huard is the doog hope.
    I find it odd that PaoPao is called just a “fine coach” or treated as pretty average and disposable ( 5?), a zero recruiter, but has generated well above average TE results (8+) in Sample, Disslydawg, and now Bryant (plus other solid support).

The WRs play has sucked for years outside of Ross and pettis
    The RBs other than Gaskin have been pretty meh
    The QB room and play has been a fucking mess
    The clock management/ @TheChart has been terrible
    The overall motion scheme sucks

The TE group has been the most consistently good thing on the offensive side of the ball.

Paopao has major flaws and things to work on, there isn’t a TE position coach in the country who doesn’t. I don’t think the on field results are as easily replicated as people almost entirely focused on high school recruiting believe.
    Paopao is + development

We'd like him to be + recruiting

He's a TE coach so that's really all there is. Do BOTH well or GTFO.

Even Bonerpoper is at least the recruiting coordinator doing something else for his paycheck.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:

I still can’t get on board with this. Elite talent has been the last problem for UW at TE.

Some like to pretend like every championship contender has great recruiters. They don’t. Some of these guys are retread white guys. The schools sell themselves.

I don’t think anyone criticizing UW’s marketing and sales is wrong, but winning helps. The reason we are good is because of Petersen’s system. If we get a stud QB we can win a title. If we don’t or the offense is too fucktarded we won’t.

Petersen can build a strong enough team to contend. Of course we want the best possible players, but we’ve been good enough to contend since 2016. We need our Deshaun Watson or Trevor Lawrence. Huard is the doog hope.
    Paopao has 100% earned himself the benefit of the doubt. For two straight years he's put a tight end in the first four rounds of the draft and has the best TE duo in the country this upcoming season. He's earned the right to be a shit recruiter, which he's not, because we already have one of the best prep TEs in the country locked down. Sometimes people here take recruiting more seriously than the game itself. People talk about Ikaika like he's a god, meanwhile nobody wants to talk about the fact that Coach K is the best fucking DC we've had since Lambo.
    Does anyone that's not a retard call for Coach K to be fired? I wonder why he gets a pass?

Also, "surprise" people evaluate coaches recruiting on the recruiting bored.

I'm tired of the false binary. We want good development AND good recruiting.

If you want to argue LIPO on a coach or "the system is good just not the results THIS year" then fine. Thinking the program isn't capable of hiring coaches who are good at recruiting AND development has been proven to be a retarded take though.
    I agree with this but the evidence is not that Paopao is a good coach, it’s that he’s a great coach. This gives him more leeway with me than a guy like Bonerpopper who is an obviously good but probably not great developer.

Paopao has had amazing resuits. I don’t know that we can replicate that even with a better recruiter unless he’s also a great coach. I’m open to suggestions on who that would be at anything close to his salary level. He gets paid peanuts.
  • Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I also think we may be swimming upstream on this kind of thing. Pete has shown by his actions that his primary goal is to get coaches that are great teachers, probably with the belief (which I share) that over time, great coaching will lead to results that will lead to great recruiting.

Maybe if the recruiting gets bad enough (Strausser?) he will switch. But the continued presence of Gregory, Boner, Kwat and Paopao shows he's not in a hurry to do so.

• Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    - get great teachers ...
    - selling is an art form that can be taught to a degree. Works even better in a successful system and/or that coach has some natural talent
    - if a guy has coaching chops and/or results then they get a bit of a pass as long as they start improving their crootin game.
    - Peterman likes stability, reliability, consistency and all that other okg shit. There's alot of hard-to-measure value in all of that.

Remember kwat? Some years ago some people were giving him the stink eye because he couldn't recruit but he could coach and run a defense.

But mostly it was understood that he peaked at defensive coordinator and was relatively happy at this level with less interest in head coaching positions.

Peterman likes that because it's stable, he has one less thing to worry about with his coaching structure and he can concentrate more in shoring the weaker coaches.

Lake is stable but he's upward trending thus the will Harris understudy position for when it's time for lake to strike out in his own.