Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Jacks open thread [2019]

Comments

• Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    Doogles said:

NEsnake12 said:
    Ugh, still not the right choice IMO but moving in a better direction. Bryant has good instincts as well. Is he big enough to tackle running backs as the last line of defense?
    He’s probably the best tackler on the team.
    He's an ankle biter who has made most of his tackles close to the line of scrimmage when guys don't have a full head of steam and/or don't have time to react after catching the ball in the flat. Being an ankle biter nickel and a real tackling safety like Taylor Rapp who could consistently drop running backs one-on-one when running backs had time to build up some speed further down the field and could see him coming is completely different. I thought this was common sense. I guess not.
    Budda was an ankle tackler at the line of scrimmage because he was fast and could identify quickly. That's the best time to get people, before they start moving.
    Sure is, but what about the times an elite RB breaks through the front seven and it's that RB versus Myles Bryant one-on-one to decide whether the RB scores a TD or not. Rapp made TD saving tackles look easy and routine. We have no idea if Bryant can do the same being as small as he is.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

NEsnake12 said:
    Ugh, still not the right choice IMO but moving in a better direction. Bryant has good instincts as well. Is he big enough to tackle running backs as the last line of defense?
    Special in open field
  • Options
    Why ppl keep shatting on Bryant. He was very solid last year.

Fuck all ya that keep shatting on fuller. Not his fault other wr suck around him
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,899
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

chuck said:

If its cold enough that you need a jacket or fleece then you shouldn't be wearing shorts.
    You've never gone out in shirts on a cold morning where you know it'll get nice and warm after a bit? I'd rather look like a tool in jacket and shirts for an hour or two in the morning than needlessly wear pants on a sunny day.

This is an important debate. Let's jack this thread
    The souwf agrees. 30 degree swings in a day warrant shorts, flip flops, and zip up hoodie. Then unzip and roll the sleeves during the afternoon as temp increases and then take sleeves down and put hood back on for the afternoon hurricane.
    No, just no.

Flip flops are not acceptable for adults anywhere except the beach.
    Fuck that. Once the Throbber goes into summer mode, it’s shorts and flip flops until the next snow falls

But when you’re old rich and white, you can wear what you want when you want.
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Oh, and @HillsboroDuck , allay your fears about Cam Williams. I remember you weren’t too sure about him previously until I told you about some of Lake’s comments about he sees him as a Taylor Rapp role and expects him to come in and play early.

Reports are he has been flashing every practice and doesn’t look like a lost frosh. Rest easy my friend!

Huh?

• Options
    edited April 2019
    bigcc said:

NEsnake12 said:
    He's an ankle biter who has made most of his tackles close to the line of scrimmage when guys don't have a full head of steam and/or don't have time to react after catching the ball in the flat. Being an ankle biter nickel and a real tackling safety like Taylor Rapp who could consistently drop running backs one-on-one when running backs had time to build up some speed further down the field and could see him coming is completely different. I thought this was common sense. I guess not.
    Imagine trying to paint someone's ability to tackle near the line of scrimmage as a liability
    When your position has you already on the line of scrimmage when the play starts it's kinda your job to make tackles there and contain the field side.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Doogles said:

NEsnake12 said:
    Budda was an ankle tackler at the line of scrimmage because he was fast and could identify quickly. That's the best time to get people, before they start moving.
    Sure is, but what about the times an elite RB breaks through the front seven and it's that RB versus Myles Bryant one-on-one to decide whether the RB scores a TD or not. Rapp made TD saving tackles look easy and routine. We have no idea if Bryant can do the same being as small as he is.
    "We have no idea if Bryant can replicate the play of our departed All American safety"

Great Ballz observation as always.
    Great players need to replace great players. Alabama and Ohio State and Clemson and Georgia are all reloading every year. That's the goal and expectation. Rapp replaced Budda. So why wouldn't I expect us to replace Rapp with another great player? There can be no drop off for this team to take the next step as a program and win in the post season. I want them to fucking win! Sick of them fucking losing every big game! Every position matters. Every weakness will be exploited.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,491
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Doogles said:

NEsnake12 said:
    Yes we do, he did it all fucking year last year. He made a ton of great one on one tackles in space. If you’d made this argument last spring, I’d agree with you, but since you’re making it now, I’ll just call you a retard.
  • Options

From Caple:

After redshirting in 2017, Bynum had offseason surgery to repair the injured thumb on his right hand, and entered his redshirt freshman season “a little timid … kind of just laying low, staying behind.” He appeared in 10 games but did not record a statistic.

“I was just thinking too much about trying to catch the ball, overcompensating, because I had surgery on my thumb,” Bynum said. “Now, I feel like I’ve got my hand strength back, so now I’m catching the ball like (it’s) second nature and not thinking too much.”

Bynum said new receivers coach Junior Adams emphasizes exactly that: Just go play.

“Basically, he’s told us to have fun,” Bynum said. “Don’t go out there trying to think too much. Go out there and, like, talk stuff against the defense. Just have fun. We’re not out there just lackadaisical. It’s actually a fun energy.

“He’s telling us to make plays and not just be like mannequins. He wants us to have energy and have something to us, a little edge about us.”

Other notes:

- Haener threw a pick six to Taylor, and near interceptions to Wellington and Cam Williams.

- Haener also threw the only TD of the day to Ozzy! who beat Cook on a 48 yard TD.

- Eason went 4-8 with the 1 offense against the 1 defense, drew 2 offsides, and the highlight was a bullet to Otton with Gordon draped on him.

- Bynum listed Spiker as the young receiver who will impress everyone this year.

- 1st team defense was CB Taylor, CB Gordon, NB Molden, S McKinney, S Bryant, ILB Wellington, ILB Manu, OLB Tryon, OLB Bowman, and then a constant rotation of 2 down linemen featuring pairings of Levi and Clark, Scrempos and Tuli, Bronson and Taki.

- Tafisi and Sirmon are always a pair for the 2nd team ILB, and Ulofoshio took reps outside again.

- 1st team OL was Trey, Watty, Norgaard, Jax, and Hilbers. Harris not hurt, just getting others work since no one has experience.

- 2nd team OL was Mele, Ale, Luciano, Roberts, Bain.

- In addition to Fuller/Jones/Pounds, Players held out were: Bandes, Rice, ZTF, Irvin, Ah You, and Paama.

- Henry made both FG attempts with extra leg.

Seems Ale is playing more regularly with the 2nd team than Curne is, which is something I didn't expect quite yet for him.
    Well being genetically gifted helps a lot. Hence crooting genetic freaks is must
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,274
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

From Caple:

After redshirting in 2017, Bynum had offseason surgery to repair the injured thumb on his right hand, and entered his redshirt freshman season “a little timid … kind of just laying low, staying behind.” He appeared in 10 games but did not record a statistic.

“I was just thinking too much about trying to catch the ball, overcompensating, because I had surgery on my thumb,” Bynum said. “Now, I feel like I’ve got my hand strength back, so now I’m catching the ball like (it’s) second nature and not thinking too much.”

Bynum said new receivers coach Junior Adams emphasizes exactly that: Just go play.

“Basically, he’s told us to have fun,” Bynum said. “Don’t go out there trying to think too much. Go out there and, like, talk stuff against the defense. Just have fun. We’re not out there just lackadaisical. It’s actually a fun energy.

“He’s telling us to make plays and not just be like mannequins. He wants us to have energy and have something to us, a little edge about us.”

Other notes:

- Haener threw a pick six to Taylor, and near interceptions to Wellington and Cam Williams.

- Haener also threw the only TD of the day to Ozzy! who beat Cook on a 48 yard TD.

- Eason went 4-8 with the 1 offense against the 1 defense, drew 2 offsides, and the highlight was a bullet to Otton with Gordon draped on him.

- Bynum listed Spiker as the young receiver who will impress everyone this year.

- 1st team defense was CB Taylor, CB Gordon, NB Molden, S McKinney, S Bryant, ILB Wellington, ILB Manu, OLB Tryon, OLB Bowman, and then a constant rotation of 2 down linemen featuring pairings of Levi and Clark, Scrempos and Tuli, Bronson and Taki.

- Tafisi and Sirmon are always a pair for the 2nd team ILB, and Ulofoshio took reps outside again.

- 1st team OL was Trey, Watty, Norgaard, Jax, and Hilbers. Harris not hurt, just getting others work since no one has experience.

- 2nd team OL was Mele, Ale, Luciano, Roberts, Bain.

- In addition to Fuller/Jones/Pounds, Players held out were: Bandes, Rice, ZTF, Irvin, Ah You, and Paama.

- Henry made both FG attempts with extra leg.

Seems Ale is playing more regularly with the 2nd team than Curne is, which is something I didn't expect quite yet for him.
    Did you see the progress he's made in the weight room? Just his physical frame looks like he's matured a ton in the last year. Obviously putting in the work.