Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Jacks open thread [2019]

Comments

• Options
    DawgWagonDanDawgWagonDan Member Posts: 789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

What the fuck is Jimmy doing at Safety? I expected Molden to move over to free safety because he doesn't have ideal corner length but he does have probably the highest football IQ in the secondary, 4.4 sideline to sideline speed, ball skills, instincts, good tackling ability, and probably wouldn't be a huge drop off from Rapp.

But no, instead Molden is still at corner and he starts Spring ball off with Gilchrist running with the ones who's A HUGE FUCKING DROP OFF from Tayler Rapp and the only guy he moved to safety so far is Julius Irvin who's coming off a redshirt and has barely played. On top of that, McKinney is iffy in pass coverage and looked lost against Ohio State. Dude, WTF? I'm really nervous about both safety positions. I could see them getting taken advantage of and giving up big plays over the top this season. Fuck.

I think Jimmy knows what he is doing, crazy thought I know.
    Coaching doesn't matter if the talent, depth, and/or experience you have at that position sucks. Budda and Sidney got torched as true Freshman. Did Lake not know what he was doing then and yet we still sucked. It's a similar situation at safety right now. I have a strong feeling Gilchrist sucks ass. We are fucked at free safety if it's either Gilchrist or a Freshman starting for us. Obviously Lake fucked up somewhere recruiting that position because we don't have a RS Junior, sure fire, future NFL stud to replace Rapp that nobody is worried about.
    I don't disagree we? may be fukt at safety this season but putting DB's into the NFL on a consistent bases as juniors has a way of depleting veteran depth...Not necessarily an F up on Jimmy's part.
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited April 2019

What the fuck is Jimmy doing at Safety? I expected Molden to move over to free safety because he doesn't have ideal corner length but he does have probably the highest football IQ in the secondary, 4.4 sideline to sideline speed, ball skills, instincts, good tackling ability, and probably wouldn't be a huge drop off from Rapp.

But no, instead Molden is still at corner and he starts Spring ball off with Gilchrist running with the ones who's A HUGE FUCKING DROP OFF from Tayler Rapp and the only guy he moved to safety so far is Julius Irvin who's coming off a redshirt and has barely played. On top of that, McKinney is iffy in pass coverage and looked lost against Ohio State. Dude, WTF? I'm really nervous about both safety positions. I could see them getting taken advantage of and giving up big plays over the top this season. Fuck.

I think Jimmy knows what he is doing, crazy thought I know.
    Coaching doesn't matter if the talent, depth, and/or experience you have at that position sucks. Budda and Sidney got torched as true Freshman. Did Lake not know what he was doing then and yet we still sucked. It's a similar situation at safety right now. I have a strong feeling Gilchrist sucks ass. We are fucked at free safety if it's either Gilchrist or a Freshman starting for us. Obviously Lake fucked up somewhere recruiting that position because we don't have a RS Junior, sure fire, future NFL stud to replace Rapp that nobody is worried about.
    I don't disagree we? may be fukt at safety this season but putting DB's into the NFL on a consistent bases as juniors has a way of depleting veteran depth...Not necessarily an F up on Jimmy's part.
    He's had plenty of time to recruit safeties. That's the benefit of having two multi-year starters at that position in Rapp and McIntosh. It gives you a cushion of time to recruit and develop the next wave of guys. Safety recruiting has not been equal to corner recruiting and now we're feeling the ramifications of that. Guys like Rapp and Budda leaving early doesn't matter. You have to be prepared for all scenarios and those guys leaving early was obvious a year or two in advance. I love Jimmy Lake but he is not above criticism. I do not like what I'm seeing at safety right now.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,727
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm hearing that Petersen is letting Lambo handle the inquiries of NFL scouts about Skinny
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Also Alex Cook was moved to safety.
  • Options

You take Spring ball way too seriously. Irvin is already playing safety.
    That's my fucking point you retard. We need RS Freshman Julius Irvin, who has next to zero college experience and is coming off an injury that held him back his redshirt season, to hopefully beat out Gilchrist and start for us at FS after losing Tayler Rapp. We also need a converted WR who hasn't played DB since high school to be good and provide quality depth. Yeah, that's real reassuring guys. Good stuff. There's no way we suck at safety right now. What was I thinking?
  • Options
    edited April 2019

*DAY ONE of spring ball.

Gilchrist has the seniority. He starts with the ones today but will get "passed" by the time fall rolls around.
    Sure, passed by a RS Freshman or true Freshman who has little to no experience and will probably make Freshman mistakes that could cost us games during the season. How am I taking shit too seriously? Y'all have clearly forgotten what it's like to have shit safeties playing for our defense and watch them give up big play after big play. It's a serious problem if that's the case with who we have to work with at safety right now. I would feel a lot better about the secondary if Elijah Molden was being prepared to replace Rapp because he's not only talented athletically but a cerebral player who has playing experience. Hampton and Gordon can replace Murphy just fine. Corner is not a problem. But the guys at FS right now would be a huge drop off from Rapp and you can't have an obvious hole right down the middle of your defense that teams will see on film and exploit.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

That's my fucking point you retard. We need RS Freshman Julius Irvin, who has next to zero college experience and is coming off an injury that held him back his redshirt season, to hopefully beat out Gilchrist and start for us at FS after losing Tayler Rapp. We also need a converted WR who hasn't played DB since high school to be good and provide quality depth. Yeah, that's real reassuring guys. Good stuff. There's no way we suck at safety right now. What was I thinking?
    Ok but what does this have to do with Day 1 of spring practice.

This was going to be the case as soon as Joyner retired. Did you just figure it out?

Either Hampton or Irvin or both will have to be ready to step up and start whether it be corner or safety.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

This was going to be the case as soon as Joyner retired. Did you just figure it out?

Either Hampton or Irvin or both will have to be ready to step up and start whether it be corner or safety.
    They experimented with Austin Joyner at safety last Spring. He was getting the ball thrown over his head so they moved him back to corner. Elijah Molden should have been moved to safety a long time ago. Anybody can fucking play corner. It's not a cerebral position. I'm not worried about guys like Hampton or Gordon playing for us at corner with little to no experience. They're both super talented and can hold their own. Safety is way more cerebral than corner. It's not some throw away position where guys can move over from corner and easily play. We can't afford fuck ups at that position. Fuck ups at safety are touchdowns.

Lake is responsible for the secondary's performance period. There are no fucking excuses of "Well Taylor Rapp left early and Austin Joyner had to retire." I DON'T GIVE A FUCK! That shit happens at every major program across the country. That or really talented guys transfer out. There's no fucking excuses here or elsewhere. We should have better depth at safety to replace what we lost.

This is what we got:

SS: Brandon McKinney: Looked like he didn't belong on the field in the Rose Bowl
    Alex Cook: Converted WR, most likely sucks really bad and won't be ready to contribute this Fall as a reliable rotation player.

FS: Isaiah Gilchrist: Chubby doughboy. Clearly likes to eat and has never stepped foot on a treadmill. Too slow. Not athletic enough. Guys can run right past him in the the run game and pass game.
    Cameron Williams: True Freshman, nuff said

And then somewhere in there Julius Irvin: Talented but coming off an injury, still only 183 pounds. Basically on the same level as a true freshman at the safety position because he was practicing at corner his redshirt season.

That is terrible depth and Austin Joyner wouldn't have made it much better. The safety position has been neglected in recruiting by Jimmy Lake.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,610
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

They experimented with Austin Joyner at safety last Spring. He was getting the ball thrown over his head so they moved him back to corner. Elijah Molden should have been moved to safety a long time ago. Anybody can fucking play corner. It's not a cerebral position. I'm not worried about guys like Hampton or Gordon playing for us at corner with little to no experience. They're both super talented and can hold their own. Safety is way more cerebral than corner. It's not some throw away position where guys can move over from corner and easily play. We can't afford fuck ups at that position. Fuck ups at safety are touchdowns.

Lake is responsible for the secondary's performance period. There are no fucking excuses of "Well Taylor Rapp left early and Austin Joyner had to retire." I DON'T GIVE A FUCK! That shit happens at every major program across the country. That or really talented guys transfer out. There's no fucking excuses here or elsewhere. We should have better depth at safety to replace what we lost.

This is what we got:

SS: Brandon McKinney: Looked like he didn't belong on the field in the Rose Bowl
    Alex Cook: Converted WR, most likely sucks really bad and won't be ready to contribute this Fall as a reliable rotation player.

FS: Isaiah Gilchrist: Chubby doughboy. Clearly likes to eat and has never stepped foot on a treadmill. Too slow. Not athletic enough. Guys can run right past him in the the run game and pass game.
    Cameron Williams: True Freshman, nuff said

And then somewhere in there Julius Irvin: Talented but coming off an injury, still only 183 pounds. Basically on the same level as a true freshman at the safety position because he was practicing at corner his redshirt season.

That is terrible depth and Austin Joyner wouldn't have made it much better. The safety position has been neglected in recruiting by Jimmy Lake.

Shut up. Jesus
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Ballz is right about this guys. People need plenty of time to develop into the cerebral safety position before they see the field. People forget Taylor Rapp and Budda Baker never started at safety until their redshirt sophomore years.

We are so fucked.

#FireJimmyLake

Such a world exists
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,921
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I enjoy the new narrative that McKinney sucks and tOSU proved that he doesn’t belong on the field.

For two years he would flash when he would play. For two years the older guys and coaches have raved about him. One game against the best pocket QB in the country with elite speed WR does not change that.

This kid is going to be great. Fuck off with the narrative that he sucks.

Every year we need several narratives about "this player sucks", "this coach sucks", and/or "Pete doesn't understand this part of being a head coach"

It's our fuel
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,476
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I enjoy the new narrative that McKinney sucks and tOSU proved that he doesn’t belong on the field.

For two years he would flash when he would play. For two years the older guys and coaches have raved about him. One game against the best pocket QB in the country with elite speed WR does not change that.

This kid is going to be great. Fuck off with the narrative that he sucks.

This.

McKinney has played in all 27 games since he's arrived, and they have plenty of time to coach him up and correct the issues he had against tOSU.