Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

More late term abortion news

Comments

• SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

Does the baby have to be severely deformed for the abortion to take place as the law was written?

No. It would be possible to obtain a late term abortion if a physician determines there are dire risks to the mother’s health in not aborting.
    "Health" can be very widely interpreted. Including mental health.

What if the law made that point clear? That mental health doesn't count? That it's only in situations where the woman is at serious risk, and that were determined by an unaffiliated, non-abortion doctor?

What then?

My point here is, why nitpick the law if you don't believe it's ok. Just say that and stand by it. I don't have any issues with people who are anti-abortion, even those who are anti-abortion in every single circumstance. I understand the argument and the position. It's just that most of them are full of shit and terribly insincere in their beliefs.
    If the law made that kind of distinction I wouldn't oppose it but that's not the way these abortion laws are being written and that's not some kind of oversight by the pro-abortion crowd.
  • HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 18,954
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    blob et al cling to the theory that women seek abortions at eight and a half months for trivial reasons.
    Standard Supporter
    HHusky said:

blob et al cling to the theory that women seek abortions at eight and a half months for trivial reasons.

Then why not write these laws to exclude these "trivial" reason O'Keefed?
    The law doesn’t permit late term abortion for trivial reasons. Never has. But by all means, do continue your snipe hunt.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,483
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

Does the baby have to be severely deformed for the abortion to take place as the law was written?

No. It would be possible to obtain a late term abortion if a physician determines there are dire risks to the mother’s health in not aborting.

What if the law made that point clear? That mental health doesn't count? That it's only in situations where the woman is at serious risk, and that were determined by an unaffiliated, non-abortion doctor?

What then?

My point here is, why nitpick the law if you don't believe it's ok. Just say that and stand by it. I don't have any issues with people who are anti-abortion, even those who are anti-abortion in every single circumstance. I understand the argument and the position. It's just that most of them are full of shit and terribly insincere in their beliefs.
    I'm against it. Only pointing out that it is very open to interpretation and it's really not as it was representd in an earlier post.

They won't change the law. Guarantee that.
    What was represented, in an earlier post made by you, was that this law was abortions for all. Which we all know was a lie.
    It is abortion on demand since being depressed or stressed out about having the baby could easily earn an abortion. Like I said it's not like abortion doctors have morals. They're all about the money. No dead babies no money.

Fuck you're dumb!
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

What then?

I'm against it. Only pointing out that it is very open to interpretation and it's really not as it was representd in an earlier post.

What was represented, in an earlier post made by you, was that this law was abortions for all. Which we all know was a lie.
    It is abortion on demand since being depressed or stressed out about having the baby could easily earn an abortion. Like I said it's not like abortion doctors have morals. They're all about the money. No dead babies no money.

Fuck you're dumb!
    You think a doctor would risk their license over $500? And you say I'm dumb? El oh el
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

What then?

Fuck you're dumb!
    You think a doctor would risk their license over $500? And you say I'm dumb? El oh el
    The law allows for an abortion if the mother is depressed. They wouldn't be risking their license.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

What then?

Fuck you're dumb!
    To be clear, I am entirely against this. I've wrestled with this debate for years, and the "drawing the line" thing is impossible, which compromises all the viability arguments. The other arguments that are trash are the "my body, my rules" and privacy lines of reasoning, though I recognize that the SCOTUS position is deeply rooted in notions of privacy.

That said, I also know that I react much differently to the termination of an early-stage fetus than to a late-stage developed fetus. I know that those are different, and the explanations for why are rather complicated. But it's slippery as hell. All of it.

But I agree with one thing somebody said, and that is that women lining up for late-term abortions is not a thing. I think they're rare and almost always involve some biological threat to the woman's health. I know a few docs with whom I knock back beers, and we've talked about this. They'll tell you that it's also not easy to find an abortion doc. who will do those procedures ... if only from a liability standpoint, they don't want to be involved. Messy stuff.

But I also have to say I can't support an open-ended law like that. There's no reason for it. Btw, these procedures are risky as all get out for the mother too. It's not an uncomplicated thing to terminate a fetus that late. Mental issues can be overcome. Terminating a fetus in the 7th or 8th month because you're depressed should be a "no go" IMO. But I also believe terminating in the first trimester should be a no-questions-asked right. Just my $0.02.
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

What then?

Fuck you're dumb!
    The law allows for an abortion if the mother is depressed. They wouldn't be risking their license.
    Bull fucking shit
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

What then?

Fuck you're dumb!
    Care to support that that stance?
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Get rid of abortion laws altogether. Then each state will or will not press murder charges.

Either way the doctor patient relationship does not and will not be the final word on what happens - laws or no laws
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:
    Good article. Where does it say a woman can have an abortion for being depressed?
    Either didn't read it, too stupid to understand it or are just lying about it.

Take your pick.
    edited February 2019
    SFGbob said:
    The writer mentions early on, and never again, the requirement that a doctor has to make a determination. For about the last two-thirds of the piece, you'd be forgiven for thinking that women are allowed to end late stage pregnancies on whim, because it is the writer's (dishonest) intention to convey that message.
    Standard Supporter
    A single doctor has to make the determination with no oversight and the "mental health" of the mother can be used in order to make that determination.

Go fuck yourself O'Keefed.
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

Bob prefers to have the government make the decision rather than the doctor and mother. Such the conundrum that you now trust the government over the expert on what's best for the mother's health.
    Yeah, Gosnel was all about the mother's health and he was an "expert."

Gosnel is serving his sentence. Any more disingenuous arguments, blob?
    SFGbob said:

A single doctor has to make the determination with no oversight and the "mental health" of the mother can be used in order to make that determination.

Again they are going to do that over $500? I know that's a lot of money to you. But not to a doctor.
    SFGbob said:

And there you have it--the enormous respect the RW has for women. Because it would be possible for a doctor and a woman to skirt the law's intent and conspire to kill the Gerber baby, blob needs government more involved. Again, Gosnel is in prison.