Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jake Browning

Comments

• Options
    TripleRainbowDawgTripleRainbowDawg Member Posts: 76
    First Anniversary Photogenic 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Can someone please tell me how I can work in a .gif of "The Point"? That was such a great moment.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,356
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Cool, thanks. Wow, what a gamer!
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,356
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    Who's supposed to pick up Ruben Foster there? Untouched.
  • Options
    ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    A couple things on the Jake Browning era at UW:

1) He played during one of, if the not worst stretches of Pac 12 football ever... no USC and no Oregon.

2) The offensive drop off that would occur between bad/average competition and good competition was massive. Browning never won a big game. Period.

3) Browning's decision making was utterly atrocious. Taking sacks for 20 yards or throwing the ball to avoid a sack but instead throwing an interception is the sort of shit that a good/great player at any position in any sport does not do. Think of it this way, if Reggie Bush was to have done his failed lateral against Texas like 6 times each season we would be talking about him in a completely different light.
  • Options

1) He played during one of, if the not worst stretches of Pac 12 football ever... no USC and no Oregon.

Disagree. A few years ago I did a deep dive on conference strength during the James glory days. During James' entire 18-year tenure:

-Oregon State never won more than 4 games per season, and never finished higher than 7th in the Pac.

-California had only 7 winning seasons, and only twice finished higher than 4th in the Pac.

-Oregon had only 6 winning seasons, and finished better than 5th in the Pac only 3 times.

-Stanford had just 7 winning seaons, finished better than 4th in conference 5 times. It tied for the conference championship once, but never made a Rose Bowl.

-Washington State had only 7 winning seasons, and only finished higher than 5th in the Pac just 3 times

USC was good in '16. Oregon was 9-4 in '15 and '18.

2) The offensive drop off that would occur between bad/average competition and good competition was massive. Browning never won a big game. Period.

PAC-12 championship in '16 (he was injured)? Apple Cup '18?

3) Browning's decision making was utterly atrocious. Taking sacks for 20 yards or throwing the ball to avoid a sack but instead throwing an interception is the sort of shit that a good/great player at any position in any sport does not do. Think of it this way, if Reggie Bush was to have done his failed lateral against Texas like 6 times each season we would be talking about him in a completely different light.

He's made SOME atrocious decisions, some inexcusable. But any QB is uniquely required to make several decisions on every play, and hence more opportunity to make bad ones. It's not the same as a RB like BUSH.
  • Options
    "CuntWaffle", meet me on the merits, my man. Don't just wave it off.

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,505
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited March 2019
    When did the Apple Cup become a big game?

As has been mentioned, all you need to do is look at Browning's numbers in "big" games he played versus the rest. 16 & 18 P12 championship games he was awful. Bama and Ohio State he was awful.

He also peaked as a sophomore and significantly regressed after. His numbers are meaningless because of sheer volume of starts.

OP go DIAFF.
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post. I've actually spent a good 30 minutes searching for an answer to this question: where can I find a reasoned, analytical argument for why it is that Jake Browning sucks? It seems to be an article of faith and baseline assumption of many participants here. Despite all of the stats (including yards per completion), all-time UW and conference records, and win %, it seems that Jake draws almost nothing but ire and snide digs. I understand the relatively weak arm strength, but why is that not mitigated by the above? Is it presumed that if the Dawgs had had a more physically impressive QB during the Browning era they'd be running the table and winning nattys? Honest question. Thanks.

I

"CuntWaffle", meet me on the merits, my man. Don't just wave it off.

Is on-the-merits near the 7-11 on Aurora?
  • Options
    Imagine blithely ignoring facts and evidence to justify an irrational hatred for an undersized but hard-working college QB that meaningfully contributed to the best run of Husky teams for decades.
  • Options
    Imagine caring to throw up tens of thousands of middlebrow internet memes, childish homophobic jokes and frat-shower butt-slap banter from a lonely basement.