Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jay'Veon Sunday, 2020 3* RB, Waco (Connally), TX (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Beast. Favorite skill position commit.
  • Options
    sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Really? What makes you so high on him?
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I've come around on this guy. He looks like he can create on his own. Maybe a little too in love with the hero play, but he's different from the RBs we have. He's not Cam Davis, but he's tough like Newton and looks a lot shiftier than he did.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Really? What makes you so high on him?
    Like the way he runs. Opponents want no part of him. Some here don’t care about high school, but he was really productive. His line is pretty bad in the film too. Competition looks really bad too even tho it’s Texas.

The lack of top end speed is a little concerning, but I think he has a good feel and runs behind his pads with power. RB isn’t a position to get too caught up on measurables. He’s not electric like Bijan Robinson, but I see a productive RB that I think could be very good.
    Senior film looks a lot better

Quick feet, decent vision, great balance.

Still looks a bit awkward and slow when running.

If he is taught the Ahmed shuffle he will be a disaster, if he runs hard like Newton he will probably be fine.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,647
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I've come around on this guy. He looks like he can create on his own. Maybe a little too in love with the hero play, but he's different from the RBs we have. He's not Cam Davis, but he's tough like Newton and looks a lot shiftier than he did.

There's my issue with this film...well the main one. Soe of those plays reminded me of playground ball when the teacher wasnt looking. We'd get brave and switch to tackle, but it would devolve into the biggest kid running around and nobody tackling him even though he was easy to catch.

My biggest concern had always been whether or not he can get out of the backfield quick enough. His quickness does look to be improved, so I'll call that concern partially addressed.

He's running away from contact most of the time in his highlights. It works for him now, but wont in college. Hopefully that method gets tossed right away and he accepts that his job is to grind out tough 5 yard runs, not make a bunch of cuts and reversals looking for daylight.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think he looks like Newton with a little better feel for reading blocks and shiftiness. Maybe Chris Carson isn’t a horrible comparison either.
  • Options
    WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I've always liked him, but I'm doubtful he ever becomes the #1 back. I think he's a good change of pace guy who will be physical, be a great lead blocker like Lavon Coleman was, and spell the feature back on some reps. Our RB room needs another guy like that, so I'm happy we got him. Also, Bhonapha's closing has sucked, but his evaluations have generally been pretty good, and he offered this guy relatively early.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

All I know is DDY hated him immediately like Dick, and we’ve all seen what Dick has done.

This kid runs angry as fuck. He breaks tackles, and despite a weird running style, still has plenty of plays where he is outrunning dudes.

It’ll be fine.

I hate boner, but Boner has a good track record of getting good to serviceable RB.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I’m with Roaddie on this one

The most impressive thing in his film is the competitiveness about not going down

The running backward thing you see in a lot of HS film and doesn’t take too long to be coached out of a kid

The Carson comp went through my mind as well in terms of physicality

The other comp for me is TCU’s Sewo Olonilua ... guys that can be very successful going North/South but effectiveness drops going East/West

For those questioning speed ... stop paying attention to motion and notice that he consistently runs away from players
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2019

All I know is DDY hated him immediately like Dick, and we’ve all seen what Dick has done.

This kid runs angry as fuck. He breaks tackles, and despite a weird running style, still has plenty of plays where he is outrunning dudes.

It’ll be fine.

Dick is dope and I get that he got quite a bit of goal line carries but he’s averaged like 3.5 ypc in conference, he hasn’t run away from anyone lol. He doesn’t have a whole lot of wiggle. He’s a good situational guy I suppose and that’s fine.

Cam is going to be starting next year. Cook it.
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2019

Emoterman said:

It’ll be fine.

Dick is dope
    New bored motto?

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

It’ll be fine.

Dick is dope and I get that he got quite a bit of goal line carries but he’s averaged like 3.5 ypc in conference, he hasn’t run away from anyone lol. He doesn’t have a whole lot of wiggle. He’s a good situational guy I suppose and that’s fine.

The YPC is a little concerning, but that shit fluctuates for a lot of guys. It’s his style of running I like and I think his YPC will eventually improve to above 5. YPC can be a misleading stat, but his does need to improve.
  • Options

It’ll be fine.

The YPC is a little concerning, but that shit fluctuates for a lot of guys. It’s his style of running I like and I think his YPC will eventually improve to above 5. YPC can be a misleading stat, but his does need to improve.
    His lack of wiggle is really concerning to me.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    l

It’ll be fine.

His lack of wiggle is really concerning to me.
    Shut up.
    Ok!