Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jay'Veon Sunday, 2020 3* RB, Waco (Connally), TX (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,864
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Similar track 100 and 200 times to Zach Charbonnet. Maybe he’s not as slow as he looks. He ran a 11.29 100 last year and improved his 200 time significantly.

I feel like something was missed in this thread. We are pessimistic about Sunday because he looks slow on tape and his track times don't refute that. We don't dislike him because of the track times. Charbonnet and Adams look plenty fast on tape.

And still, Sunday could get faster and end up being a great back. The improvements are at least encouraging.
    I’ve heard he’s Earl Campbell 2.0, right ballz?
  • Options
    Balls_DeepBalls_Deep Member Posts: 64
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Pettis has an unorthodox stride and looked slow. But he wasn’t. I think this kid will be okay with some Socha.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Pettis has an unorthodox stride and looked slow. But he wasn’t. I think this kid will be okay with some Socha.

Most running backs rarely get to play without dealing with a shit ton of contact so my take is this kid has balance and power and wiggle and vision. He’s going to be good for us. Even gaskin got caught from behind but it didn’t matter when he could somehow slip ahead for positive yardage every time he touched the ball.
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs

Similar track 100 and 200 times to Zach Charbonnet. Maybe he’s not as slow as he looks. He ran a 11.29 100 last year and improved his 200 time significantly.

I feel like something was missed in this thread. We are pessimistic about Sunday because he looks slow on tape and his track times don't refute that. We don't dislike him because of the track times. Charbonnet and Adams look plenty fast on tape.

And still, Sunday could get faster and end up being a great back. The improvements are at least encouraging.
    I’ve heard he’s Earl Campbell 2.0, right ballz?
    Campbell was a little before my time. More like Frank Gore. Anybody not cool with having a Frank Gore type back on the roster?
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,188
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

RealRhino said:

I screwed up the quote thing, so I'll do it manually:

Swaye: This is actually a good point. One I hadn't thought of. Might have merit. Plus the kid is black. And named Jay'Veon. I'd rather have Bijon, but this isn't a totally terrible situation.

I think I am mostly bothered by Low Hanging Fruit Boner mailing it in again. Lazy as fuck. A koala has more energy.

Me: Getting a black guy from Texas is not low-hanging fruit.

Also (re Corleone's post), we got a visit from Kendall Milton. That's a sniff, yes? For whatever reason it seems as if he wasn't impressed with us. And how do we know we "took" his commitment (rather than him deciding the time was right) and it's related to Bijan's visit at all?

I obviously don't know their recruiting board, but we offered Bijan mid-'17, Ngata Feb '18, Adams Nov '18, Sunday early Jan '19, and Sevion Morrison late Jan '19. As far as I know, we don't have any other open RB offers. That suggests to me Sunday was in that top tier. Maybe a slight fallback plan, but not very far back. This isn't the "local 3-star that you take near the end of the cycle when it's clear you aren't going to land your big fish" type of offer.

I'll end with what I consider some interesting stuff. Maybe you guys are such film-grinding eval stars that you won't care, but maybe it'll give you pause. Why do some people seem down on this guy relative to our other targets? His athleticism, right? He's "slow ride," right? Chew on this:

He runs a faster 100M than Gee Scott.
    He runs a faster 200M than Sam Adams, Gee Scott and Ayden Hector.
    Bijan claims he runs a 4.5 (as of 9/3/18), but at some point he did one of those testing events and he posted a 4.77 40 at the same size as Sunday. So either he had a bad day or he's not being completely truthful. Or he's lowered his time through work (he himself claimed he lowered it from 4.6 to 4.5. so maybe he lowered it from 4.77 to 4.6 to 4.5). Sunday's coach said he runs a 4.5 40. Even allowing for some exaggeration, it's possible he's actually pretty close to Bijan.

Hey RR. Don't worry, I do it manually all the time. lulz

Also, I am basing low hanging fruit off of his offer sheet, which is totally unspectacular. But, I did/do agree with the notion that we offered early, so clearly to our coaches, and based off your timeline, he was number 4 on our board out of 5. Hell, Adams, who is elite to me, is 3rd on our board. I actually prefer Adams to Ngata, but what do I know. I'd slot him second behind Bijan.

If we end up with Adams and Sunday, then we got the numbers 3 and 4 RBs on our coaches board, and one of them is borderline elite so overall it would be a success. But Boner has shown a tendency to just mail it in for years and always lay down the bunt instead of swinging for the fences. My opinion.
    @Swaye can't read so he couldn't remember this but some of us have seen their big board. He was a clever red man and figured it out anyways. They had 5 RB's targeted for 2020 confirmed. Sunday wasn't the top target confirmed(duh). I'll be perfectly happy if he's the 2nd back in a 2 back class that fills out the lower middle depth of this class.
    Bump for Adam's commitment.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Swaye said:

RealRhino said:

I screwed up the quote thing, so I'll do it manually:

Swaye: This is actually a good point. One I hadn't thought of. Might have merit. Plus the kid is black. And named Jay'Veon. I'd rather have Bijon, but this isn't a totally terrible situation.

I think I am mostly bothered by Low Hanging Fruit Boner mailing it in again. Lazy as fuck. A koala has more energy.

Me: Getting a black guy from Texas is not low-hanging fruit.

Also (re Corleone's post), we got a visit from Kendall Milton. That's a sniff, yes? For whatever reason it seems as if he wasn't impressed with us. And how do we know we "took" his commitment (rather than him deciding the time was right) and it's related to Bijan's visit at all?

I obviously don't know their recruiting board, but we offered Bijan mid-'17, Ngata Feb '18, Adams Nov '18, Sunday early Jan '19, and Sevion Morrison late Jan '19. As far as I know, we don't have any other open RB offers. That suggests to me Sunday was in that top tier. Maybe a slight fallback plan, but not very far back. This isn't the "local 3-star that you take near the end of the cycle when it's clear you aren't going to land your big fish" type of offer.

I'll end with what I consider some interesting stuff. Maybe you guys are such film-grinding eval stars that you won't care, but maybe it'll give you pause. Why do some people seem down on this guy relative to our other targets? His athleticism, right? He's "slow ride," right? Chew on this:

He runs a faster 100M than Gee Scott.
    He runs a faster 200M than Sam Adams, Gee Scott and Ayden Hector.
    Bijan claims he runs a 4.5 (as of 9/3/18), but at some point he did one of those testing events and he posted a 4.77 40 at the same size as Sunday. So either he had a bad day or he's not being completely truthful. Or he's lowered his time through work (he himself claimed he lowered it from 4.6 to 4.5. so maybe he lowered it from 4.77 to 4.6 to 4.5). Sunday's coach said he runs a 4.5 40. Even allowing for some exaggeration, it's possible he's actually pretty close to Bijan.

Hey RR. Don't worry, I do it manually all the time. lulz

Also, I am basing low hanging fruit off of his offer sheet, which is totally unspectacular. But, I did/do agree with the notion that we offered early, so clearly to our coaches, and based off your timeline, he was number 4 on our board out of 5. Hell, Adams, who is elite to me, is 3rd on our board. I actually prefer Adams to Ngata, but what do I know. I'd slot him second behind Bijan.

If we end up with Adams and Sunday, then we got the numbers 3 and 4 RBs on our coaches board, and one of them is borderline elite so overall it would be a success. But Boner has shown a tendency to just mail it in for years and always lay down the bunt instead of swinging for the fences. My opinion.
    @Swaye can't read so he couldn't remember this but some of us have seen their big board. He was a clever red man and figured it out anyways. They had 5 RB's targeted for 2020 confirmed. Sunday wasn't the top target confirmed(duh). I'll be perfectly happy if he's the 2nd back in a 2 back class that fills out the lower middle depth of this class.
    Bump for Adam's commitment.
    Where was Adams on said big bored?
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,294
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited July 2019
    That pic of the board is pretty outdated now, and didn't even make sense/was incomplete at the time. It had 1 ILB for the 2019 class and we took like 6.

Especially because Adams hardly played any varsity until his Junior year
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,188
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    All fair but my point is/was I'm happy with these two backs as our RB class.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

So thanks for all the horrible advice assholes. I’m sure you missed me last night, I was shit faced. Made it to Waco, luggage didn’t. Luckily I carried on my suit, shirt, and tie. Still fucking drunk I get up at 6:30a to eat and sober up. Caught a lyft to Walmart as nothing else was fucking open. Some how kinda found a pair of shoes and belt to match. Finish getting ready. Go to my fucking interview still kinda drunk. It was an all day thing and so I spent 6 hrs just waiting to take a fucking nap.

Miracle if I get this one... Swaye, you hiring?

I guess miracles do happen...

Next stop @Rapeculturedawg @ArtBriles @joanagainesiwillfindyou

Is TexASS still the souwf?
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

So thanks for all the horrible advice assholes. I’m sure you missed me last night, I was shit faced. Made it to Waco, luggage didn’t. Luckily I carried on my suit, shirt, and tie. Still fucking drunk I get up at 6:30a to eat and sober up. Caught a lyft to Walmart as nothing else was fucking open. Some how kinda found a pair of shoes and belt to match. Finish getting ready. Go to my fucking interview still kinda drunk. It was an all day thing and so I spent 6 hrs just waiting to take a fucking nap.

Say ‘Hi’ to Chip and Joanne.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    USMChawk said:

Say ‘Hi’ to Chip and Joanne.
    Would you like a $40 candle from magnolia?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Newton 2.0. My favorite thing about Sunday are the tacklers that want no part of going head up with him.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    this kid is definitelygoing to make coug co-ed shit themselves :wink:
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Newton 2.0. My favorite thing about Sunday are the tacklers that want no part of going head up with him.
    Yeah that's what stood out to me the most when his thread here first started. There were a lot of defenders in position to hit him who somehow managed to miss. He isn't Barry Sanders. They were missing because they were afraid of him. Its comical and why I was never fully against his recruitment.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    this kid has a great story and plays with a chip on his shoulder. He may not be the most talented (of course bijan robinson is better) but there's a lot to like here
  • Options
    vadawgvadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 466
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Still has the weirdest running style I've seen in a long time. Unless he's playing against a bunch of Desmond Trufants in college, he's going to get hit.

I do hope he works out for us....he's a good kid.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    vadawg said:

Still has the weirdest running style I've seen in a long time. Unless he's playing against a bunch of Desmond Trufants in college, he's going to get hit.

I do hope he works out for us....he's a good kid.

So what I see is a unique gait that Dante Pettis has that makes him very intriguing. In traffic his body leans way ahead of his legs so you can't really get to his feet but he seems to have the strength to get through contact moving forward and still has body control that he can go horizontal. In space the gait makes it tough for tacklers to get the right angle on him. I would suggest that this type of running style only works where a guy can still maintain lateral control (which he can) and where he's tough/violent enough to hammer through tacklers (seems to be)... call me intrigued with the unconventional.