Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Ethan Calvert, 2021 4* ATH, Westlake Village (Oaks Christian), CA (Offered)

Comments

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,831
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2020

I'm with BTP that it's not hard to be a good recruiter. Being a really elite recruiter probably requires some unique skills, but being a good recruiter just comes down to effort.

I think there's just a lot of coaches who do not want to put in the effort, and/or they do not believe that getting marginally better recruits is as important as it is.

I think a lot of coaches believe the next guy on the list is just as good. That leads to less effort. And it’s not hard to get why coaches hate recruiting. You are a grown man talking and trying to relate with teenagers, their over protective mom with her hand out, their shady uncle, his high school position coach bothering you to talk at his youth ministry, etc.
    You see the way (some) of these coaches jump around and act like idiots, khaki pants. They can relate and suck kids off through text if they really wanted to. They are just as dumb and goofy as these teenagers.

I go back to my women anal-ogy. Treat it like the hot girl you’re chasing trying to get a piece. Just don’t actually try and get a piece. Talking to you pedo state.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm with BTP that it's not hard to be a good recruiter. Being a really elite recruiter probably requires some unique skills, but being a good recruiter just comes down to effort.

I think there's just a lot of coaches who do not want to put in the effort, and/or they do not believe that getting marginally better recruits is as important as it is.

I think a lot of coaches believe the next guy on the list is just as good. That leads to less effort. And it’s not hard to get why coaches hate recruiting. You are a grown man talking and trying to relate with teenagers, their over protective mom with her hand out, their shady uncle, his high school position coach bothering you to talk at his youth ministry, etc.
    You see the way (some) of these coaches jump around and act like idiots, khaki pants. They can relate and suck kids off through text if they really wanted to. They are just as dumb and goofy as these teenagers.

I go back to my women anal-ogy. Treat it like the hot girl you’re chasing trying to get a piece. Just don’t actually try and get a piece. Talking to you pedo state.
    If you want to get the hot girl's attention ignore her. Every swinging dick is making a fool out of himself

Treat her like shit and you stand out

Not recommended for teen boy recruiting though
    I chased out of my league. Scored and then they figured out I was a piece of drug addict.
  • Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

If you want to get the hot girl's attention ignore her. Every swinging dick is making a fool out of himself

I chased out of my league. Scored and then they figured out I was a piece of drug addict.
    Sark?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sark?
    Maybe. Pic?

Failed into better? No, TOF ISNT BETTER.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,977
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited July 2020

Race = Mystery

• Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Beno4Life said:

I made the mistake of watching Calvert's Jr tape. My god, you're telling me there isn't a difference between Cooper McDonald and this guy? Hell, I like his tape better than Danny Hammer. I'll just keep on going and say he'd be the most talented LB in the room as soon as he stepped foot on campus.

I just don't get recruiting for these assistants. Like, how fucking hard is it to text/DM someone every single day and let them know you care? Or do a bit of homework and research to get to know someone, conveying to to them you really care?

Like, it's not that hard. If your job is to watch tape, call HS coaches, and text a 17-year-old, who all live on their phones, then your job ain't that hard. Now, I get it, doing that 24/7, 365 is fucking exhausting. But man, it's worth it in this case.

Coaches make it sound like recruiting is so hard. It’s really not, it’s super fucking easy
    It’s like chasing a chick you want to bone. You’d think bonnerpop would be better at it considering all the insta stalking he does. If someone could explain the similarities between what he actually does compared to what he should be doing we might have a decent recruiter.
    Exxxaaactly. I vividly remember my first ride along with my boss when I got my first sales job out of college. He played RB in college at an FBS school. He kinda reminded me of Bonerpopper, actually.

I picked him up from the airport and we had a 2hr drive to our first call. About halfway there, he breaks the awkward silence by dropping some knowledge about the sales game and telling me thinks I could be all right. He pauses for effect before he hits me with the "Do you like pussy?" motivational speech. It's not that fucking hard, especially if you're not selling a shitty product.

If Bonerpopper's fat ass can spit game like he's not offering a shitty product, I don't understand why he can't 'croot the same way.
  • Options
    dOgmasterdOgmaster Member Posts: 561
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    It will be interesting to see if the ncaa either moves or adds another signing day to accommodate for high school spring football. Maybe something like the first Wednesday in May.
  • Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    dOgmaster said:

It will be interesting to see if the ncaa either moves or adds another signing day to accommodate for high school spring football. Maybe something like the first Wednesday in May.

Signing day doesn’t really have a deadline...
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,062
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

From Boggins:

Westlake Village (Calif.) Oaks Christian linebacker Ethan Calvert was on track to graduate early but said he now plans to stay for his spring semester and play his last year of high school ball.

On Monday, the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) announced all fall sports would be moving back to December/January. For those players planning to graduate early, it leaves them with a tough decision.

Early grads typically finish up high school in December and enroll in January. The question for those players now is, do I graduate early and forfeit my senior year of high school or scrap the early graduate plan, play out by senior year and enroll in June.

Calvert was set to graduate early but said he now plans to stay at Oaks so he can play his senior year of football.

“It just came down to me wanting to play my senior year with my teammates,” Calvert said. “I didn’t want to miss out on this and everyone talks about how special it is to play your senior season. It’s one of the best times of your life and I’m comfortable with my decision.”

Calvert, who’s down to UCLA, USC, Utah and Washington, said he heard from all four schools the day the decision came down to find out what he planned to do.

“They were all fine with me staying back and playing,” Calvert said. “I’m sure they wanted me to be there for spring ball but they understood and no one tried to pressure me or anything. I think I can still compete for playing time as a freshman when I get there in the summer so it wasn’t an issue.”

Washington has been a constant on Calverts short list and remains in contention.

"When I look at Washington, I see a school that plays great defense every year, develop their players really well and gets them drafted," Calvert said. "It seems like every year they have one of the best defenses out West and I like their style of play.

"My brother Josh is there and he really likes it a lot. I have another bro (Bo) at UCLA but neither of those guys are pushing me hard to go to their school. It’s still good to know they’re happy where they’re at and have good things to say about the program but they're giving me the space to make my own decision."

Scheme fit is another plus for the Huskies here.

"I like how physical Washington always is," Calvert said. "They get after it defensively and I think I would fit in well with what they’re doing scheme wise. They do a good job putting their players in a position to make plays and I think it's a good fit.

"The whole staff is recruiting me hard too. I talk with coach K (Kwiatkowski), coach Gregory and coach Lake all the time. They’re all great guys that I’m very comfortable with so it's a good all around fit."

The original plan for Calvert was to make a late summer commitment, sometime in August but he said he’s not putting any deadlines on a decision for himself.

“If I had to commit tomorrow, I wouldn’t be able to decide,” Calvert said. “I would love to make my decision soon and get it over with but I really don’t know what I want to do right now. If I feel good about a school and I’m comfortable with it, I’ll go ahead and make a decision.

“I’m in no rush though and if I still don’t know in August, I’ll push it back. I don’t want to push it back too far but at the same time, this is a big decision and I’m not going to commit just to commit when I don’t feel like I’m 100% ready.”

I would doog so hard ... er than I normally do.
  • Options
    dOgmasterdOgmaster Member Posts: 561
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    There is, which is why they have an early signing period and the normal signing period. Hence the word ‘period’.

And there is this:

‘When your student-athlete receives their NLI document, the appropriate Signing Period should be checked. If the Signing Period has begun for their sport, they must sign within seven days of the issue date (noted on the document). If they receive the NLI document before the Signing Period window opens, they must wait until 7 a.m. of the first date of the period. The student-athlete's parent or legal guardian must also sign the document; college coaches cannot be present during the signing.‘

I believe the early signing period only lasts 3 days. Last year it was Dec 18th - Dec 20th.

The recruit could sign a financial aid agreement and avoid the NLI altogether, but those are fairly rare.
  • Options
    MotrboatnsobMotrboatnsob Member Posts: 424
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    chuck said:

He's right up there with the other crucial targets still on the board. Get Calvert, JTT and Egbuka and all the other fuckery is at least partially forgotten and mostly forgiven for now.

So we won’t be forgiving or forgetting any time soon then.
  • Options
    Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Sounds like such a smart dude. Knows the depth chart, the recruiting class (facepalm), the schemes, etc.

Judging by this interview, I’d say UW is running second behind USC.