Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jordan Peterson: Inequality does not always imply discrimination

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,281
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Say goddamn! Fucking A right, boy. Spot on.

People on the Right have to recognise that the current distribution of wealth and power does not necessarily reflect the distribution of wealth and power as it would exist under conditions of perfect equality of opportunity. That’s because equality of opportunity is an aspirational goal that is constantly undermined by human desire for unearned advantage. From tax-breaks for well-connected individuals to protections for uncompetitive firms, equal opportunity will always be threatened by privilege.

People on the Left have to recognise that unequal outcomes do not necessarily reflect conspiracies and systemic oppression. Inequality arises for a variety of reasons, including differing abilities, choices and preferences among individuals. As such, unequal outcomes must be assessed on their merits and without prejudice. The question that ought to be asked by all those who care about living in a fair society is the same question that the proponents of the Enlightenment would have asked, Is this instance of inequality a result of unequal treatment before the law? If so, let’s address it. If not, let’s pause and think about it some more.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Say goddamn! Fucking A right, boy. Spot on.

People on the Right have to recognise that the current distribution of wealth and power does not necessarily reflect the distribution of wealth and power as it would exist under conditions of perfect equality of opportunity. That’s because equality of opportunity is an aspirational goal that is constantly undermined by human desire for unearned advantage. From tax-breaks for well-connected individuals to protections for uncompetitive firms, equal opportunity will always be threatened by privilege.

People on the Left have to recognise that unequal outcomes do not necessarily reflect conspiracies and systemic oppression.
    Inequality arises for a variety of reasons, including differing abilities, choices and preferences among individuals. As such, unequal outcomes must be assessed on their merits and without prejudice. The question that ought to be asked by all those who care about living in a fair society is the same question that the proponents of the Enlightenment would have asked, Is this instance of inequality a result of unequal treatment before the law? If so, let’s address it. If not, let’s pause and think about it some more.

While I do agree with the larger point. Those two points written together aren't the best presentation.

While there are some idiots on the left that think there is systematic oppression (one of my friends is dead set on the war on drugs being about the oppression of blacks). It's not really about oppression. But more that the system is setup for the rich to get richer and poor get poorer. Although the country is also probably the best in the world to provide opportunity for hard workers to become financially independent.
  • Options
    Spoken like an avowed party member. Kudos on another $0.06 earned, komrad.

• Options

Got anything to add to the discussion?
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    Standard Supporter
    edited November 2018
    If the “system” was set up for the rich to get richer and the poor to get poorer how is it so many formally poor people/famlies are no longer living in poverty? Take a look at the percentage of the population that lived in poverty 100 years ago compared to how many live in poverty today. Also compare the state of poverty in America today to poverty 100 years ago.

I was once poor, and grew up in poverty. How is it that I’m no longer in that position today if the “system” was designed for me to get poorer?

There are numerous people today who are doing very well for themselves and their families who came from a very humble background, if your claims about the “system” were true this wouldn’t be the case.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

If the “system” was set up for the rich to get richer and the poor to get poorer how is it so many formally poor people/famlies are no longer living in poverty? Take a look at the percentage of the population that lived in poverty 100 years ago compared to how many live in poverty today. Also compare the state of poverty in America today to poverty 100 years ago.

I was once poor, and grew up in poverty. How is it that I’m no longer in that position today if the “system” was designed for me to get poorer?

There are numerous people today who are doing very well for themselves and their families who came from a very humble background, if your claims about the “system” were true this wouldn’t be the case.

Read my last sentence. Fuck you are dumb.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    edited November 2018
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

Oh so the fact that you contradict yourself in your dumbfuckery absolves you of the dumbfuckery?

It's not really about oppression. But more that the system is setup for the rich to get richer and poor get poorer. Although the country is also probably the best in the world to provide opportunity for hard workers to become financially independent.

What "system" are you referring to Hondo? And while you acknowledge that this county is the best at providing opportunity, that doesn't negate the "system" that you cite that is designed to make the rich get richer and the poor to get poorer.

Don't blame the reader for the fact that you write like a barely literate moron.
  • Options
    GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
  • Options
    2001400ex said:

Got anything to add to the discussion?
    Between the quote from the article and the paid-post reply...I got it covered.

• Options
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

Oh so the fact that you contradict yourself in your dumbfuckery absolves you of the dumbfuckery?

It's not really about oppression. But more that the system is setup for the rich to get richer and poor get poorer. Although the country is also probably the best in the world to provide opportunity for hard workers to become financially independent.

What "system" are you referring to Hondo? And while you acknowledge that this county is the best at providing opportunity, that doesn't negate the "system" that you cite that is designed to make the rich get richer and the poor to get poorer.

Don't blame the reader for the fact that you write like a barely literate moron.
    Embarrassing.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    edited November 2018
    You're right, the fact that you write like a retard is embarrassing. Shocking you dodged like a Kunt the question that was put to you.

Your response was entirely predictable, no way in hell you'd even defend that dumbfuckery you posted.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

You're right, the fact that you write like a retard is embarrassing. Shocking you dodged like a Kunt the question that was put to you.

Your response was entirely predictable, no way in hell you'd even defend that dumbfuckery you posted.

Ok. I'll respond one time. Everyone else here understands except you.

Rich get richer: lobbying system and politicians owned by the wealthy.

Poor get poorer: food stamps, section 8, Obama/Bush phone. Etc. Keep the poor poor.

Poor able to get out: pell grants and other opportunities for the poor to get education and other ways they can move up with hard work.

Does that make sense pookie?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Why don’t you just admit you were talking out your ass Hondo?
  • Options
    In 1,750 posts. You've yet to demonstrate any ability to read for comprehension.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    I quoted you word for fucking word Hondo. Don’t blame me because you can’t express yourself clearly. Hell even with your "clarification" you're still spouting gibberish.

Poor get poorer: food stamps, section 8, Obama/Bush phone. Etc. Keep the poor poor.

Poor able to get out: pell grants and other opportunities for the poor to get education and other ways they can move up with hard work.

You claimed the "system" is "setup for the rich to get richer and the poor get poorer." How does an Obama phone keep poor, poor dumbass?

Dance you stupid fucking Kunt, dance!!!

• Options
    SFGbob said:

I quoted you word for fucking word Hondo. Don’t blame me because you can’t express yourself clearly. Hell even with your "clarification" you're still spouting gibberish.

You claimed the "system" is "setup for the rich to get richer and the poor get poorer." How does an Obama phone keep poor, poor dumbass?

Did you miss food stamps and section 8? Or just skip over those?
  • Options
    The clash of the well read intellectuals heats up
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

I didn't miss anything. You're talking straight out of your ass. There is no "system" that keeps poor people poor or rich people rich.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Why do you think Peterman appeals almost strictly to straight white males?

The way I see it there are two options.

Straight white men are just the smartest and see this truth before everyone else. Being a straight white male, I am willing to hear this argument out.

Or

He’s working them. And you if you fall for his bullshit.

• Options
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

I didn't miss anything. You're talking straight out of your ass. There is no "system" that keeps poor people poor or rich people rich.
    While I highly doubt for the most part it is intentionally set up this way. The notion does exist that rich people have more influence in the lay of the laws and for the most part desire to make more money.