Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Because they care

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited November 2018
    @USMChawk

Sounds like we agree.

Yes, as you know, I know.

And if you don't like your taxes now, wait until South Snohomish County becomes North King County, and it will.
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

@USMChawk

Sounds like we agree.

And if you don't like your taxes now, wait until South Snohomish County becomes North King County, and it will.

On this we agree (and a few other things). I’m already on my 10 years to retirement plan and will be moving to Phoenix in the next year or two. After that Snohomish County can do what they want.
  • Options
    USMChawk said:

@USMChawk

Sounds like we agree.

On this we agree (and a few other things). I’m already on my 10 years to retirement plan and will be moving to Phoenix in the next year or two. After that Snohomish County can do what they want.
    We're going to keep a place here ... there are few places I'd rather be than the PNW in late spring, summer and early to mid fall.

But we are working on the winter palace as we speak. I want to be already gone from this place a month ago this time of year.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,605
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    dflea said:

I wonder how Shelton public schools measure up. That's where we went because that's where you go when you're from Shelton.

It didn't hold my older brother back. He got full rides at UW, MIT, and the Max Planck Inst. He was on Hans Dehmelt's team at UW that won the Nobel prize for making an atomic clock out of a barium ion suspended in a laser trap. The team he was on at MPI also won the Nobel prize in physics, but I can't remember what they did to get it.

I also went to Shelton public schools and UW, but I'd rather fish, hunt, drink beer, smoke weed and talk shit than go to Stockholm for some gay ass prize ceremony.

I blame the public schools and my parents for my shortcomings, of course. I also blame my brother for being a cock and setting the bar high so my lack of effort would be more noticeable. Fucker.

Yeah but I'm hearing he can't hang in the tug
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,720
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

I wonder how Shelton public schools measure up. That's where we went because that's where you go when you're from Shelton.

It didn't hold my older brother back. He got full rides at UW, MIT, and the Max Planck Inst. He was on Hans Dehmelt's team at UW that won the Nobel prize for making an atomic clock out of a barium ion suspended in a laser trap. The team he was on at MPI also won the Nobel prize in physics, but I can't remember what they did to get it.

I also went to Shelton public schools and UW, but I'd rather fish, hunt, drink beer, smoke weed and talk shit than go to Stockholm for some gay ass prize ceremony.

I blame the public schools and my parents for my shortcomings, of course. I also blame my brother for being a cock and setting the bar high so my lack of effort would be more noticeable. Fucker.

I had to chuckle. My brother went to OIy schools and was a national merit scholar and went to Columbia then Berkeley. His list of accomplishments stop there though. He went into construction

I skipped all the bullshit and went into construction. I wanted to be a lawyer but 6 years of college wasn't happening. Lawyers suck anyway
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,341
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

How much does it cost to educate a Down's Syndrome kid? I know advanced physics and math do cost more. You have to be a clueless moron or a liar to figure out the disparity in a quality private school education program from a public school system. Discipline requirements alone are worth it. Wonder why all the dems in Washington DC send their kids to private school? Because it is just the same? Why would a parent want to send their kid to a public school that can't discipline the kids. A dysfunctional class room is okay as long as they are indoctrinating the kids to vote dem?

Dude, they send them to the most elite and expensive PREP schools in the country. Sidwell Friends is like $50k a year and your kids would never get through the entrance exam even if you did whore your mom out for the tuition.

There are as many vouchers there as there are at Lakeside, which is to say, zero.

Speaking of that, let's zero in on what you're talking about. If you're talking about the run-of-the-mill parochial school, they are mediocre and a good many fall short of even a decent suburban public high school.

I have lived this life, both as a student and as a parent. If anything, the kids at St. Brendan tend to show up to BHS, WHS and IHS less prepared for the high-end advanced classes that each of those schools offer. IHS, in particular, pulls kids into their IB curriculum who would otherwise be looking at University Prep, Lakeside or Bush. And that's no shit.

Garfield ... and now Roosevelt are schools that the professional class in Seattle sends their kids to in droves, and those kids go on, in droves, to the tippy top elite colleges in the country. There are also kids at each of the aforementioned schools who are going to trade school, beauty school and the greatest of social program, the military. Girls with stupid parents will get knocked up and not get an abortion, and kids will OD.

No vouchers for Lakeside but if they want you, you'll be able to afford it. Their financial aid spend is huge. With a 5% acceptance rate for 5th fucking grade.
    Yes. But they'll only "want you" if you play a sport and / or help them color the place up a bit, because other than Asians it's lily white. Otherwise, they're interested in 'full pay'.

This plays out at elite colleges almost exactly the same way.

It helps on the margin to be full pay at all but a small handful of schools, who have so much fucking money they don't have to care about anything.

• Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

How much does it cost to educate a Down's Syndrome kid? I know advanced physics and math do cost more. You have to be a clueless moron or a liar to figure out the disparity in a quality private school education program from a public school system. Discipline requirements alone are worth it. Wonder why all the dems in Washington DC send their kids to private school? Because it is just the same? Why would a parent want to send their kid to a public school that can't discipline the kids. A dysfunctional class room is okay as long as they are indoctrinating the kids to vote dem?

Dude, they send them to the most elite and expensive PREP schools in the country. Sidwell Friends is like $50k a year and your kids would never get through the entrance exam even if you did whore your mom out for the tuition.

There are as many vouchers there as there are at Lakeside, which is to say, zero.

Speaking of that, let's zero in on what you're talking about. If you're talking about the run-of-the-mill parochial school, they are mediocre and a good many fall short of even a decent suburban public high school.

I have lived this life, both as a student and as a parent. If anything, the kids at St. Brendan tend to show up to BHS, WHS and IHS less prepared for the high-end advanced classes that each of those schools offer. IHS, in particular, pulls kids into their IB curriculum who would otherwise be looking at University Prep, Lakeside or Bush. And that's no shit.

Garfield ... and now Roosevelt are schools that the professional class in Seattle sends their kids to in droves, and those kids go on, in droves, to the tippy top elite colleges in the country. There are also kids at each of the aforementioned schools who are going to trade school, beauty school and the greatest of social program, the military. Girls with stupid parents will get knocked up and not get an abortion, and kids will OD.

Feel better having that off your chest? Damn!
  • Options
    dflea said:

In all fairness, people like your brother will be found anywhere. I knew a dude from North River who got plucked up by Cal Tech on a full ride.

That guy, and your brother, are the 1/1000th percenters. Malcolm Gladwell has written books about people like your brother.

Weatherwax has had a few too. Not in my class. That's for fucking sure.

I think the main thing is, does the high school have a good selection of the tuffer courses. Is there a good AP curriculum? Are the teachers capable of teaching it? If you have IB you essentially have a free prep school within a school.

Fuck when I was at Aberdeen you had to go to GHC to take calculus if you got that far. Didn't have it at the HS. I'm sure that's changed.

You can get anywhere from anywhere. But you're better served if you can take a tuff course load; helps you get into and through college.

Sorry about your smart brother being smarter than you. I'm sure your life has been Tuff.
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2018

USMChawk said:

@USMChawk

Sounds like we agree.

We're going to keep a place here ... there are few places I'd rather be than the PNW in late spring, summer and early to mid fall.

But we are working on the winter palace as we speak. I want to be already gone from this place a month ago this time of year.
    I’ll spend July and August here but October - April can get fucked. I’m already tired of the rain, the darkness, and the traffic. Usually we go to Hawaii or California for mid-winter break and get some much needed sunshine but this year we’re going to London instead. It’s going to be a looooong winter.
  • Options
  • Options

No vouchers for Lakeside but if they want you, you'll be able to afford it. Their financial aid spend is huge. With a 5% acceptance rate for 5th fucking grade.
    Yes. But they'll only "want you" if you play a sport and / or help them color the place up a bit, because other than Asians it's lily white. Otherwise, they're interested in 'full pay'.

This plays out at elite colleges almost exactly the same way.

It helps on the margin to be full pay at all but a small handful of schools, who have so much fucking money they don't have to care about anything.

The ever sneaky "multi-racial" category. Translation: I don't have anything to help me out, but I don't want to check the "whitey" box.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,720
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The pot keeps melting

The standard of beauty is now mixed race. Beautiful women. I'm in
  • Options
    USMChawk said:

USMChawk said:

@USMChawk

Sounds like we agree.

I’ll spend July and August here but October - April can get fucked. I’m already tired of the rain, the darkness, and the traffic. Usually we got to Hawaii or a California for mid-winter break and get some much needed sunshine but this year we’re going to London instead. It’s going to be a looooong winter.
    Holy shit that's a lot of pale skin.
  • Options

You have a problem with the post? Let's hear it.
  • Options

You have a problem with the post? Let's hear it.
    Everything you speak of is in the past tense. Garfield is in a nose-dive of rapid decline and currently a shadow of its former self, and many, many families went private over the last two years. Franklin will surpass Garfield by 2020 if present trends continue. One look at its demographics explain why. Garfield's feeder school, Washington Middle, has basically declared war on the best students and are pulling the rug out from under them in the name of Equity. The IB programs in SSD have become a joke, perhaps with Ingraham being the only exception, but for all Advanced Learning, including AP classes, the official plan in place is to spread them around and water them down so classes will become more diverse, because that is the Number One priority of SSD these days. Not achievement, not competence, not performance, but feel good diversity and inclusion. And the teacher's union is 110% behind this march toward socialism, with Garfield taking the lead every time. Should just rename it "Protest High School."
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

This thread was started by a duck import and is quite a lively discussion

Don't be afraid of those who are different from you

Great advice kunt. Take it, and cut loose that little legion of dumb fucks who just echo what you've already read from the playbook because you like hearing it.
    Fuck off hondo
    Is that the best insult you have?
  • Options
    2001400ex said:

Great advice kunt. Take it, and cut loose that little legion of dumb fucks who just echo what you've already read from the playbook because you like hearing it.
    Fuck off hondo
    It's certainly the most appropriate for you, Hondo.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

2001400ex said:

Fuck off hondo
    Sick burn bro.
  • Options
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Fuck off hondo
    Sick burn bro.
    Not a burn; a fact. Fuck Off Hondo.