Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Emeka Egbuka, 2021 5* WR, Steilacoom (Steilacoom HS), WA (Offered 10/20/18)

Comments

• Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,020
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Are we recruiting him for the softball team?
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Who did this? You need to stop! I just assume we blame la mike.

That’s dope. There’s literally nothing wrong with it. Universities make designs for kids. I see nothing wrong with fan love. What kid wouldn’t want to be compared to Griffey anyways?

Y’all gotta see outside the prism of a 30-50 year old middle aged white dude.
    Its corny. Its also not very good. Id like to be compared to Stone Cold Steve Austin but photoshopping my face on his would still be fucking pathetic. And thats the bottom line!
    Not really. Any teenager would find it cool. Again look outside the prism of old, white, and rich.
  • Options
    rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

That’s dope. There’s literally nothing wrong with it. Universities make designs for kids. I see nothing wrong with fan love. What kid wouldn’t want to be compared to Griffey anyways?

Its corny. Its also not very good. Id like to be compared to Stone Cold Steve Austin but photoshopping my face on his would still be fucking pathetic. And thats the bottom line!
    Not really. Any teenager would find it cool. Again look outside the prism of old, white, and rich.
    Who would you like your face photoshopped onto if you were a 5 star?
  • Options

It’s not that serious. It’s a cool concept. It’s not the end of the world, I promise mr. I have black friends!1!!1!1!
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

STOp thinking like a middle aged white dude!

Also, what kid wouldn’t want to be compared to a guy who hasnt been great since the 1990s??
  • Options

I agree this one is harmless
  • Options

It’s not that serious. It’s a cool concept. It’s not the end of the world, I promise mr. I have black friends!1!!1!1!
    Dang still hung up on that? That was yesterday bro
  • Options

Dang still hung up on that? That was yesterday bro
    I believe the response you are looking for is STOp LIVING IN THE PAST!!!
  • Options
    @dnc I dont use the classic sayings out of fear of butchering them. Lol. But ya that's what I meant
  • Options

And the irony is that this "edit" will appeal almost exclusively to an audience of 30-50 year old white dudes, not the 17 year old kid it is targeting. The mystique of the Ken Griffey Jr Upper Deck rookie card is cool nostalgia for guys who idolized him as kids. Unfortunately those guys are approaching 40. Baseball card collecting, card shops, shows, and the star of Griffey all died out long before Emeka was even born. Im sure he knows that Griffey was a local start, if he saw this, theres an 80% chance someone had to explain the reference to him and without familiarity or context it just looks like a somewhat shitty, confusing edit.
    EXACTLY

Race should put his face on this next

• Options

And the irony is that this "edit" will appeal almost exclusively to an audience of 30-50 year old white dudes, not the 17 year old kid it is targeting. The mystique of the Ken Griffey Jr Upper Deck rookie card is cool nostalgia for guys who idolized him as kids. Unfortunately those guys are approaching 40. Baseball card collecting, card shops, shows, and the star of Griffey all died out long before Emeka was even born. Im sure he knows that Griffey was a local start, if he saw this, theres an 80% chance someone had to explain the reference to him and without familiarity or context it just looks like a somewhat shitty, confusing edit.
    When I was a kid I knew who Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays were. Never saw them play, knew they were legends. Griffey is the Seattle version of those guys. He's timeless. Emeka is also a great baseball player so if this isn't at least flattering then I don't know what else would be.
    Like I said I think it's harmless in this case.

I think the argument that *ANY* kid would be honored to be comped to Griffey, while telling other people to get out of the mind of middle aged white dudes is hilarious.

Most American black kids today couldn't GAF about beisbol (hell, most white kids too). Egbuka is different (different!) so this probably works with him.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,627
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    But wait...Griffey was a kid from Ohio who ripped the heart out of Seattle by being loyal to his hometown and leaving the flourishing franchise for one that was long dead from it's former glory and it went horribly? Is that a good or a bad parallel in this case?
  • Options
    dnc said:

STOp thinking like a middle aged white dude!

Also, what kid wouldn’t want to be compared to a guy who hasnt been great since the 1990s??
    Griffey’s a cultural icon that transcends generations. Stop it.