Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Nick Herbig, 4* 2020 OLB, Honolulu (St. Louis), HI (Offered 9/27/18)

Comments

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,841
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm surprised he doesn't have better schools after him. Outside of UW it's Wisconsin, UCLA, and Virginia? That's weird. He's really good, but I think UW began to cool on him the more the 2021 ILB board began to get worked out during the Spring evaluation period. I don't think UW will take an ILB this class. I think that scholarship will go to a position that's more of a need in this class. I think by not taking Herbig in this class, UW could take up to four 2021 ILB's and the talent available to them is mouth watering.

WDWHA.... 😐

How many ILB’s will be gone after this yr?
    We were all super hard on for this kid earlier, I honestly wasn’t but figured he and Tuli would help with bothello, but now we’re going to miss on both and are ok with it?

My WDWHA was really a WTF
    Bump

This is not a fucking miss. We like the 2021 linebackers more than him. We just went from taking three next year to taking four. We traded Herbig for Latu. We're getting Ethan Calvert, Will Latu, Keith Brown, and Trey Reynolds. It will be the best ILB class of all time. Herbig does not matter. You wanted Latu to get the offer and then he did. There is a trade off or opportunity cost for every recruit we take. Passing on Herbig is the opportunity cost of offering Will Latu.

Are you going to keep saying this for position group after position group?
    No, there are only two position groups in which UW really loaded up on last class and can now afford to be very selective at this class. ILB and D-line.

Between those two positions, ILB is the only position that is clearly loaded out West in the 2021 class with kids that UW feels very good about.

As usual, you have to understand the context behind what is specifically going on with ILB recruiting. You can't just look at it in a vacuum and say "there goes UW again missing on one of their top targets." Fucking pay attention, think, and use deductive reasoning. They're taking Latu next class over Herbig this class.

We're fortunate to have a coaching staff that is intelligent and looks ahead to future classes when making recruiting decisions for the present class. They saw the 2020 class being low on D-line talent a year ago and preemptively loaded up in the 2019 class in preparation for that. Other coaching staffs are not thinking ahead like that. You have to get the talent at certain positions while the gettin' is good to maximize the talent you're bringing in. The gettin' is very good for ILB's next class so they can afford to pass on Herbig this class and give that scholarship to another position, possibly a fourth WR.
    You’re fucking annoying. You go from super hard on for a kid to “WDWHA” and “coaches have a plan, we’ll be ok.”

Anytime things like this don’t go our way, you always have a positive spin; a reason why’ll it’ll be ok. “It was all part of the plan the whole time.”

They are not going to close all 4 of those fuckers next year. They did have a heavy class LY but to now be ok with not hitting on our top targets is top level doog shit.

GTFO with that.

Get some fucking self awareness... get off the interwebs and do some soul searching with Smalls.
    Like I said, Botelho was a miss at OLB. I'm not a doog who thinks UW passed on everybody they don't get. I know when UW misses on kids and when they pass. Herbig is a pass. You wanna doubt their ability to get who they want next class, that's fine. I'm just telling you what the strategy is. Like I said, Calvert and Latu are locks and will probably be early commits. Those two alone should put any worry to rest. Brown and Reynolds are not long shots by any means. We're in good shape with ILB recruiting. It's OLB recruiting that needs to be consistently better.
    Herbig was a lock...
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,705
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

This forum is fucking retarded.

Get white player - Pete hates black people, this guy is okay but sucks, we suck at recruiting, polynesians arent a minority, we suck

Do not get white player - Pete sucks, the assitants suck, we suck at recruiting

DIAFF. All of you

Its almost like there are multiple variables at play! So complicated I know.
  • Options
    ZoneUWZoneUW Member Posts: 794
    5 Fuck Offs First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Get white player - Pete hates black people, this guy is okay but sucks, we suck at recruiting, polynesians arent a minority, we suck

DIAFF. All of you

While I agree we should all DIAFF, you suck at this.

• Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited June 2019

So the coaches dropped a guy even tho they’ve had later offers out on guys who have barely sniffed us in Kourt Williams and McDonald? So who is the guy they’re dropping Herbig for? Flowe? Botelho?

Most of you would say Bruener right? But we haven’t offered hmmmmm I wonder why? Offering Bruener as a legacy who was in the (now infamous) junior day photo would seem like a lock to Herbig huh? Maybe they wanted Herbig to feel like the #1 guy after Botelho left & Bruener would make him question a team who just took 4 ILBs the year before and a legacy. So if we offer Bruener or anyone in this class is Herbig still a drop?

As for the supposed 2021 dream class, who is the player who has been the most discussed as the kid everyone can’t believe UDUB hasn’t offered? Julien Simon. What position is he being recruited at? Inside Linebacker. Seems weird to be offering Latu after Herbig’s commitment if we dropped Herbig. Washington was the one of if not the last of Keith Brown’s 8 offers. He got his UDUB offer after his Visit to his dream hometown school. Why would the coaches put this much into timing of 2021’s first offers if they just missed their first three offers in 2020?

Botelho, Flowe, and Herbig are by far the best three LBs in an ILB class we’ve had in quite some time. Flowe has a really close brother like relationship with Cam Davis and Botelho & Herbig were once licks at the Poly Bowl never even came on an all expenses paid trip to UDUB which is a bigger deal when from Hawaii.

Your first mistake you made was confusing inside guys with outside guys. They are two very different positions in this defense and are recruited separately by different position coaches.

Botelho and McDonald have nothing to do with Herbig because they're OLB recruits for us. UW has not only missed on Botelho at OLB, but Jaden Navarrette (for now) as well. Not to mention the Savell Smalls debacle. OLB recruiting sucks ass right now.

Justin Flowe was always a long shot. He wasn't interested enough so UW moved on. Maybe things will pick back up for him after he sees what UW's defense does this season, but that's just a dream right now.

Herbig was our only ILB recruit for a while. It's obvious UW cooled on him as they began to get out for Spring evaluations and see 2021 kids. He went from all over UW's nuts on Twitter and gushing about UW and Bob Gregory to all Wisconsin rather quickly because UW cooled on him and made that decision a lot easier. They would have brought him in for an official visit for one of these big recruiting weekends this month if they still wanted him. They didn't.

UW only recruited two ILB's in this class. One wasn't interested, they passed on the other, and you're all dramatic about it. We just brought in a loaded ILB class of FIVE guys in the 2019 class. We're fine if we don't take any ILB's in this class.

As far has Julien Simon goes, he has very little ILB film from his Sophomore year. The coaches need to see more to confirm he's what they're looking for at ILB. Also, I don't have any insider info on this but visually the kid's body has not progressed since he was in 8th grade. He needs to get in the weight room and go to work. His arms look weak af. That could be another factor holding up his UW offer. Trey Reynolds can bench press 325 pounds and squat 485 pounds as a 17 year old. That stuff matters not only because we want physically superior athletes, but also because we want guys that work their asses off. Is Julien Simon one of those guys? I don't know. If he is, I hope he gets the offer because he's very talented.

When you see a 4-star ILB recruit working on his academics to specifically EARN a UW offer, that's when you know ILB recruiting is in great shape. As long as UW handles their business on the field and stack their fourth straight 10+ win season on the others, they'll have their way with ILB recruiting for the 2021 class. No worries there.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    3 things seem abundantly clear ...

We’ve taken pretty large ILB numbers the last couple of years so we probably weren’t going after big numbers here this year

We’ve got some promising traction on 2021 guys and looking like a large class is shaping up there ... IF this is the position that Simon is viewed as a best fit it’s quite possible he’s at best 5th on our ILB depth chart at this point in the 2021 class

Herbig’s tune seemed to change quite quickly and that would seem to lead credibility to there being a cooling for whatever reason ... it wouldn’t shock me if we go with a 0 here in the 2020 class
  • Options
    edited June 2019

So the coaches dropped a guy even tho they’ve had later offers out on guys who have barely sniffed us in Kourt Williams and McDonald? So who is the guy they’re dropping Herbig for? Flowe? Botelho?

Most of you would say Bruener right? But we haven’t offered hmmmmm I wonder why? Offering Bruener as a legacy who was in the (now infamous) junior day photo would seem like a lock to Herbig huh? Maybe they wanted Herbig to feel like the #1 guy after Botelho left & Bruener would make him question a team who just took 4 ILBs the year before and a legacy. So if we offer Bruener or anyone in this class is Herbig still a drop?

As for the supposed 2021 dream class, who is the player who has been the most discussed as the kid everyone can’t believe UDUB hasn’t offered? Julien Simon. What position is he being recruited at? Inside Linebacker. Seems weird to be offering Latu after Herbig’s commitment if we dropped Herbig. Washington was the one of if not the last of Keith Brown’s 8 offers. He got his UDUB offer after his Visit to his dream hometown school. Why would the coaches put this much into timing of 2021’s first offers if they just missed their first three offers in 2020?

Botelho, Flowe, and Herbig are by far the best three LBs in an ILB class we’ve had in quite some time. Flowe has a really close brother like relationship with Cam Davis and Botelho & Herbig were once licks at the Poly Bowl never even came on an all expenses paid trip to UDUB which is a bigger deal when from Hawaii.

Your first mistake you made was confusing inside guys with outside guys. They are two very different positions in this defense and are recruited separately by different position coaches.

Botelho and McDonald have nothing to do with Herbig because they're OLB recruits for us. UW has not only missed on Botelho at OLB, but Jaden Navarrette (for now) as well. Not to mention the Savell Smalls debacle. OLB recruiting sucks ass right now.

Justin Flowe was always a long shot. He wasn't interested enough so UW moved on. Maybe things will pick back up for him after he sees what UW's defense does this season, but that's just a dream right now.

Herbig was our only ILB recruit for a while. It's obvious UW cooled on him as they began to get out for Spring evaluations and see 2021 kids. He went from all over UW's nuts on Twitter and gushing about UW and Bob Gregory to all Wisconsin rather quickly because UW cooled on him and made that decision a lot easier. They would have brought him in for an official visit for one of these big recruiting weekends this month if they still wanted him. They didn't.

UW only recruited two ILB's in this class. One wasn't interested, they passed on the other, and you're all dramatic about it. We just brought in a loaded ILB class of FIVE guys in the 2019 class. We're fine if we don't take any ILB's in this class.

As far has Julien Simon goes, he has very little ILB film from his Sophomore year. The coaches need to see more to confirm he's what they're looking for at ILB. Also, I don't have any insider info on this but visually the kid's body has not progressed since he was in 8th grade. He needs to get in the weight room and go to work. His arms look weak af. That could be another factor holding up his UW offer. Trey Reynolds can bench press 325 pounds and squat 485 pounds as a 17 year old. That stuff matters not only because we want physically superior athletes, but also because we want guys that work their asses off. Is Julien Simon one of those guys? I don't know. If he is, I hope he gets the offer because he's very talented.

When you see a 4-star ILB recruit working on his academics to specifically EARN a UW offer, that's when you know ILB recruiting is in great shape. As long as UW handles their business on the field and stack their fourth straight 10+ win season on the others, they'll have their way with ILB recruiting for the 2021 class. No worries there.
    Botelho was an ILB who was recruited by Gregory and Coach K because they’re not good enough on their own. There’s a reason he was moved to ILB on sites after they spoke to him upon his recent visit with the coaches.

Please don’t try to educate me on the defense. Cory Littleton pis a starting MIKE in the NFL and played SAM at UDUB. Tevis Bartlett played outside for three years when all of you said he’s an inside guy. Kaho was a slotted at SAM as was Henry To’oto’o despite ILB body types. The best thing about a multiple set defense is that players play multiple variations, positions and learn everything. Pete’s NFL development isn’t just good because he says so, every player is cross trained physically & mentally to play multiple different techniques, not just coasting on what they’re good at.

I HATE position knit picking because it doesn’t matter just like saying Latu is too big to play BUCK. Sign the players you offered without having to go far down the initial list of offers because our coaches are sofa king good on the field that they will get guys in the best spot to succeed (unless it’s Paopao and Gregory)
    Botelho was never an inside guy for UW. He just wasn't. That's an OLB miss.

There was no going down the list. When you only recruit two ILB's and decide not to take any because you loaded up in the previous class, that's not a recruiting failure. That's just a recruiting decision. If UW out of nowhere decides to offer another 2020 ILB soon after Herbig's commitment to the other UW, then you'll have a point and reason to gripe. But right now, it's looking like they won't take an ILB this class and never were in the market to take more than one. You bitch too much. Bitch about the shit that deserves being bitched about. This isn't one of them.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

We’ve taken pretty large ILB numbers the last couple of years so we probably weren’t going after big numbers here this year

We’ve got some promising traction on 2021 guys and looking like a large class is shaping up there ... IF this is the position that Simon is viewed as a best fit it’s quite possible he’s at best 5th on our ILB depth chart at this point in the 2021 class

Herbig’s tune seemed to change quite quickly and that would seem to lead credibility to there being a cooling for whatever reason ... it wouldn’t shock me if we go with a 0 here in the 2020 class

If our offer is so important and meaningful, why would we offer two out of the top 8 ILBs in the country just to say nah we’re full? Especially after we pursued To’oto’o till the bitter end and never questioned if we had room for him.

Botelho and Herbig’s talent + our chances at landing them after Tui committed > The entire 2021 LB class + all of the 2019 class outside of Danny Hammer.

Can we just call a spade and spade and say that this is the price to pay after taking long periods of inactivity where you just assume a kid will continue to love UDUB because we’re just here? The “cooling” and “dropping” talk makes us sound like the long distance boyfriend who truly believes their GF isn’t fucking everything in sight while they’re miles apart.
    I suspect we’d take Flowe no matter what ... just seems like he was never that interested in us

None of us truly know whether the cooling in focus came down to us not being in contact, UW cooling, etc

This is where I’d say that the context of how many spots we have and where the roster depth is needed combined with recruiting depth for 2020 (and beyond) factors in

And finally, to the question you always pose as to whether Player A helps UW beat Bama or Clemson

In the end, we’re going to sign a class of 18-22 and offer 80+ or thereabouts ... so we’ll fail ~ 75% of the time
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,984
    Founders Club
    edited June 2019
    ZoneUW said:

Thank gawd. Wouldn't want another white guy. That would make the natives restless. Not talking about you, Swaye.

I know I’m the fuckin bored tard

But can we take a moment to talk about how painfully unfunny big Ernie is

ZoneUW said:

Thank gawd. Wouldn't want another white guy. That would make the natives restless. Not talking about you, Swaye.

I know I’m the fuckin bored tard

But can we take a moment to talk about how painfully unfunny big Ernie is
    You're not wrong.

Also has a fucking horrendous gif game as well.

• Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,984
    Founders Club
    ZoneUW said:

DIAFF. All of you

While I agree we should all DIAFF, you suck at this.

Says the motherfucker twitting at Savell like a damn foo.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Tequilla said:

If our offer is so important and meaningful, why would we offer two out of the top 8 ILBs in the country just to say nah we’re full? Especially after we pursued To’oto’o till the bitter end and never questioned if we had room for him.

Botelho and Herbig’s talent + our chances at landing them after Tui committed > The entire 2021 LB class + all of the 2019 class outside of Danny Hammer.

Can we just call a spade and spade and say that this is the price to pay after taking long periods of inactivity where you just assume a kid will continue to love UDUB because we’re just here? The “cooling” and “dropping” talk makes us sound like the long distance boyfriend who truly believes their GF isn’t fucking everything in sight while they’re miles apart.
    1. Because things change in recruiting all the fucking time! It's a fluid process. Guys that get offers and are heavily pursued at one point can be dropped from consideration just a couple of weeks later. Why is it so hard for you to fucking understand that? Sure, if Justin Flowe wanted to go to UW, of course they'd fucking take him. But he's not interested. They obviously decided they like their top ILB targets for 2021 as much or more than Herbig and feel good about getting them. They'll use that scholarship that could have gone to Herbig for another position this class.

2. Why did they continue to pursue To'oto'o? Because he's a fucking elite talent. Duh. Had they signed him they probably would have bumped Tuputala out to OLB. They then got a commitment from a preferred walk on who had offers from Utah and UCLA and is probably the third best ILB we got in that class. They also have another walk on who's a baller in Eddie Ulofoshio. So yeah, we're fucking loaded at ILB right now.

3. No, you can't "call a spade a spade" because that's not what fucking happened! You want to fucking spin it into some negative narrative about UW being lazy in recruiting and that's not the fucking case. UW was Herbig's favorite when they were heavily recruiting him. They decided to go in a different direction and not take an ILB in this class. It happens. Our ILB recruiting if fucking phenomenal right now. Stop being a spoiled bitch. We are never going to get every single recruit you want and not every guy they offer and don't take is a recruiting miss.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    guntlove said:

Ballz getting taken behind the woodshed by @LaMichael_Corleone in this thread.

Not at all. Our ILB depth is loaded with elite talent and our ILB recruiting is very good right now. Anybody complaining about it is an idiot. I get it, it's cool to be negative about everything. That's what gets you likes and chins. But not everything is negative. Most of what is going on with the program and our recruiting is positive and trending up. Anybody who agrees with him is wrong and a spoiled little bitch crying over one recruit we literally don't fucking need at all. All the facts line up and clearly suggest UW passed on Herbig. But most of you would prefer to ignore those facts and believe a negative narrative that UW lost him to Wisconsin which isn't the case.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

guntlove said:

Ballz getting taken behind the woodshed by @LaMichael_Corleone in this thread.

Not at all. Our ILB depth is loaded with elite talent and our ILB recruiting is very good right now. Anybody complaining about it is an idiot. I get it, it's cool to be negative about everything. That's what gets you likes and chins. But not everything is negative. Most of what is going on with the program and our recruiting is positive and trending up. Anybody who agrees with him is wrong and a spoiled little bitch crying over one recruit we literally don't fucking need at all. All the facts line up and clearly suggest UW passed on Herbig. But most of you would prefer to ignore those facts and believe a negative narrative that UW lost him to Wisconsin which isn't the case.
    We can all hear your yelps from behind the woodshed