Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Nick Herbig, 4* 2020 OLB, Honolulu (St. Louis), HI (Offered 9/27/18)

Comments

• Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited June 2019

We passed on Herbig? Hahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahaahahahhahahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahha

I love when people get upset at me for saying “we don’t actively recruit in the winter and spring” because it just seems so unrealistic that when things like this happen you have to find an even more unrealistic justification to disagree.

This past Spring Herbig had an interview in which he was gushing about UW and said he "loves Coach Gregory" and that was "his guy". So the facts don't support your narrative. Herbig absolutely loved UW. If they wanted him, he'd be a Dawg. They passed. Not because he sucks. But because of the 2021 guys they're in on.
  • Options

I'm just going to take everything @StrongArmCobra says as gospel and not worry about anything

The coaches got this

Good man :)
  • Options
    lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

This is not a fucking miss. We like the 2021 linebackers more than him. We just went from taking three next year to taking four. We traded Herbig for Latu. We're getting Ethan Calvert, Will Latu, Keith Brown, and Trey Reynolds. It will be the best ILB class of all time. Herbig does not matter. You wanted Latu to get the offer and then he did. There is a trade off or opportunity cost for every recruit we take. Passing on Herbig is the opportunity cost of offering Will Latu.

I do not agree with this at all... because that means putting your trust in bob Gregory to recruit the shit out of Calvert, latu, brown, Reynolds and possibly Simon. Do you trust bob Gregory to lock up the majority of them? He fucking cost us botelho and herbig this year when your saying we could have gotten herbig easily this yr.

What happens if we take a shitty lb recruit this year? Will you call it a miss?

Honestly fuck Gregory! What happens next year when we don’t sign some of them? Are you going to say we cooled and didn’t want any of them? Or better yet the class of 2021 recruits are so much better so we’re waiting for lbs in that class? Stool moving the god damn goal posts. We fucked up LB recruiting because Pete thought it would be a good idea to not recruit in late winter/early spring.

Ethan Calvert and Will Latu are UW locks. Trey Reynolds is right in Bob Gregory's wheelhouse being a white kid from Arizona and appeared to be in awe of his UW offer. Keith Brown will be the toughest pull but UW feels good about their chances.
    Oregon just got a commitment form their 3rd safety this cycle. DJDuck needs your opinion over at the Duck Refuge.
    It’s all positive...

Sarcoma level positive.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,091
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited June 2019
    Thank gawd. Wouldn't want another white guy. That would make the natives restless. Not talking about you, Swaye.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

This is not a fucking miss. We like the 2021 linebackers more than him. We just went from taking three next year to taking four. We traded Herbig for Latu. We're getting Ethan Calvert, Will Latu, Keith Brown, and Trey Reynolds. It will be the best ILB class of all time. Herbig does not matter. You wanted Latu to get the offer and then he did. There is a trade off or opportunity cost for every recruit we take. Passing on Herbig is the opportunity cost of offering Will Latu.

I do not agree with this at all... because that means putting your trust in bob Gregory to recruit the shit out of Calvert, latu, brown, Reynolds and possibly Simon. Do you trust bob Gregory to lock up the majority of them? He fucking cost us botelho and herbig this year when your saying we could have gotten herbig easily this yr.

Honestly fuck Gregory! What happens next year when we don’t sign some of them? Are you going to say we cooled and didn’t want any of them? Or better yet the class of 2021 recruits are so much better so we’re waiting for lbs in that class? Stool moving the god damn goal posts. We fucked up LB recruiting because Pete thought it would be a good idea to not recruit in late winter/early spring.

Ethan Calvert and Will Latu are UW locks. Trey Reynolds is right in Bob Gregory's wheelhouse being a white kid from Arizona and appeared to be in awe of his UW offer. Keith Brown will be the toughest pull but UW feels good about their chances.
    Oregon just got a commitment form their 3rd safety this cycle. DJDuck needs your opinion over at the Duck Refuge.
    Another kid who will still take other official visits. That's not a commitment. It's a place holder. He's being slow played by USC. Not a guy we wanted anyways and not a kid that's coveted by the big national schools even though he's a 4-star California recruit.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,543
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    This forum is fucking retarded.

Get white player - Pete hates black people, this guy is okay but sucks, we suck at recruiting, polynesians arent a minority, we suck

Do not get white player - Pete sucks, the assitants suck, we suck at recruiting

DIAFF. All of you
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,901
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Oregon's 1st and 2nd safety commits are about as soft a commitment as you can get. One of them is putting out a top schools list soon. They need to stock their pantry
  • Options
    lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Oregon's 1st and 2nd safety commits are about as soft a commitment as you can get. One of them is putting out a top schools list soon. They need to stock their pantry

Yep. Between Tae, Slusher and Hill probably one stick. Recruits are put off by how young Oregon’s DB depth chart is.

I think the strategy is take them and let it sort itself out. It’s not like the staff is naive and going to get blindsided by this.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,892
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm surprised he doesn't have better schools after him. Outside of UW it's Wisconsin, UCLA, and Virginia? That's weird. He's really good, but I think UW began to cool on him the more the 2021 ILB board began to get worked out during the Spring evaluation period. I don't think UW will take an ILB this class. I think that scholarship will go to a position that's more of a need in this class. I think by not taking Herbig in this class, UW could take up to four 2021 ILB's and the talent available to them is mouth watering.

WDWHA.... 😐

How many ILB’s will be gone after this yr?
    We were all super hard on for this kid earlier, I honestly wasn’t but figured he and Tuli would help with bothello, but now we’re going to miss on both and are ok with it?

My WDWHA was really a WTF
    Bump

Are you going to keep saying this for position group after position group?
    No, there are only two position groups in which UW really loaded up on last class and can now afford to be very selective at this class. ILB and D-line.

Between those two positions, ILB is the only position that is clearly loaded out West in the 2021 class with kids that UW feels very good about.

As usual, you have to understand the context behind what is specifically going on with ILB recruiting. You can't just look at it in a vacuum and say "there goes UW again missing on one of their top targets." Fucking pay attention, think, and use deductive reasoning. They're taking Latu next class over Herbig this class.

We're fortunate to have a coaching staff that is intelligent and looks ahead to future classes when making recruiting decisions for the present class. They saw the 2020 class being low on D-line talent a year ago and preemptively loaded up in the 2019 class in preparation for that. Other coaching staffs are not thinking ahead like that. You have to get the talent at certain positions while the gettin' is good to maximize the talent you're bringing in. The gettin' is very good for ILB's next class so they can afford to pass on Herbig this class and give that scholarship to another position, possibly a fourth WR.
    You’re fucking annoying. You go from super hard on for a kid to “WDWHA” and “coaches have a plan, we’ll be ok.”

Anytime things like this don’t go our way, you always have a positive spin; a reason why’ll it’ll be ok. “It was all part of the plan the whole time.”

They are not going to close all 4 of those fuckers next year. They did have a heavy class LY but to now be ok with not hitting on our top targets is top level doog shit.

GTFO with that.

Get some fucking self awareness... get off the interwebs and do some soul searching with Smalls.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

I'm surprised he doesn't have better schools after him. Outside of UW it's Wisconsin, UCLA, and Virginia? That's weird. He's really good, but I think UW began to cool on him the more the 2021 ILB board began to get worked out during the Spring evaluation period. I don't think UW will take an ILB this class. I think that scholarship will go to a position that's more of a need in this class. I think by not taking Herbig in this class, UW could take up to four 2021 ILB's and the talent available to them is mouth watering.

WDWHA.... 😐

How many ILB’s will be gone after this yr?
    We were all super hard on for this kid earlier, I honestly wasn’t but figured he and Tuli would help with bothello, but now we’re going to miss on both and are ok with it?

My WDWHA was really a WTF
    Bump

Are you going to keep saying this for position group after position group?
    No, there are only two position groups in which UW really loaded up on last class and can now afford to be very selective at this class. ILB and D-line.

Between those two positions, ILB is the only position that is clearly loaded out West in the 2021 class with kids that UW feels very good about.

As usual, you have to understand the context behind what is specifically going on with ILB recruiting. You can't just look at it in a vacuum and say "there goes UW again missing on one of their top targets." Fucking pay attention, think, and use deductive reasoning. They're taking Latu next class over Herbig this class.

We're fortunate to have a coaching staff that is intelligent and looks ahead to future classes when making recruiting decisions for the present class. They saw the 2020 class being low on D-line talent a year ago and preemptively loaded up in the 2019 class in preparation for that. Other coaching staffs are not thinking ahead like that. You have to get the talent at certain positions while the gettin' is good to maximize the talent you're bringing in. The gettin' is very good for ILB's next class so they can afford to pass on Herbig this class and give that scholarship to another position, possibly a fourth WR.
    You’re fucking annoying. You go from super hard on for a kid to “WDWHA” and “coaches have a plan, we’ll be ok.”

Anytime things like this don’t go our way, you always have a positive spin; a reason why’ll it’ll be ok. “It was all part of the plan the whole time.”

They are not going to close all 4 of those fuckers next year. They did have a heavy class LY but to now be ok with not hitting on our top targets is top level doog shit.

GTFO with that.

Get some fucking self awareness... get off the interwebs and do some soul searching with Smalls.
    Like I said, Botelho was a miss at OLB. I'm not a doog who thinks UW passed on everybody they don't get. I know when UW misses on kids and when they pass. Herbig is a pass. You wanna doubt their ability to get who they want next class, that's fine. I'm just telling you what the strategy is. Like I said, Calvert and Latu are locks and will probably be early commits. Those two alone should put any worry to rest. Brown and Reynolds are not long shots by any means. We're in good shape with ILB recruiting. It's OLB recruiting that needs to be consistently better.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,614
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sounds somewhat like the instate OL bumper crop of 2011...or was it 12?
  • Options
    chuck said:

Great comparison. Not apples to oranges at all.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,614
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Identical doogery. You dont get it, and you won't get it, and...I wont help.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Identical doogery. You dont get it, and you won't get it, and...I wont help.
    Except it's not. Obviously UW is a much better program than they were under Sark and therefore are recruiting at a much higher level than Sark ever did. The program is beginning to recruit itself. UW has been turning away 4-star talent for a while now. This is nothing new. Back under Sark, we were never gonna get the big recruits in the next class that doogs thought we were gonna get. Under Petersen we have and we will continue to those big recruits. Apples to oranges. It's not doogery anymore. It's real.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

“It doesn’t matter if we get elite ILBs this year because we’re allegedly going to get some next year.”

Stop paraphrasing @CuntWaffle’s parody shit, fucko.
    Not a parody. It's real now. We literally just brought in the best ILB haul in the conference this past class and you don't think we can do it again in 2021? It's happening.