Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Peterson's shrinking balls a growing concern?

Comments

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,252
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mosster47 said:

What if Petersen came to Washington specifically because he doesn't have balls and knew this was a D 1 payday where no one actually gives a shit about winning big?

Chew on that

He didn't want the Oregon job because there would be expectations.

That's an interesting poont.
    So Cristoball should be gone after going for less than 10 wins this year with a soft as charmin schedule then right?
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,591
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

What if Petersen came to Washington specifically because he doesn't have balls and knew this was a D 1 payday where no one actually gives a shit about winning big?

Chew on that

Built for life philosophy, upper campus wet dream for block head football players.

An outstanding D 1 payday at that.

Browning will force Pete's hand to play Haener at some point versus Utah. We know the receivers want it. COOK IT.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,893
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    jecornel said:

Chew on that

Built for life philosophy, upper campus wet dream for block head football players.

An outstanding D 1 payday at that.

Browning will force Pete's hand to play Haener at some point versus Utah. We know the receivers want it. COOK IT.
    How do we know this?
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Front page material, IMO.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Mosster47 said:

Chew on that

He didn't want the Oregon job because there would be expectations.

That's an interesting poont.
    Oregon's last three head coaching hires prove that Oregon has no expectations.
    Yryk
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Sometimes in football it's better to be lucky than good. The glorious 2016 campaign was almost over before it started, but Jake got lucky and tore up the script in OT to beat Arizona. What if the ball bounces our way one more time against Auburn and we convert one of those red zone opportunities into 7 more pts? Would Jake somehow be a better QB because he got lucky and we won? Would the program somehow be a better place because we finally got the marque non-con win?

We have a chance at a truly special season. No. Yes.

Edited: I do actually think Jake might be a better QB with that win. It might have gotten that monkey of "not good enough to win it big" off of his back. Now it's ingrained.
    Yes, we did have a chance to do something truly speshial. It was a coin flip game that didn't work out. So be it.

Speaking of risk taking: scheduling games like this is the very definition of taking risks for the bigger reward.
    The why it didn't work out is important though. It's not because we had some flukey football shit happen or something with a high level of variance. It's because Jake performed in a manner that consistently sabotaged the success of the rest of the team.

I can accept a loss to a good team on some statistical randomness. It's a lot tougher to accept a game we should have won by all of the football play except at one position.

ex. the random bounce of an out of character fumble vs. the super in character throwing a pick straight to the defense
    Look, UWDB, I don't disagree with any of your poonts here. The oft stated cliché around (shout out to @Dennis_DeYoung ) is that Pete is doing about 95% really well here and 5% FS. The shitty QB play from a 4 year starter is in the 5% and it's fair game to criticize Pete on this. I suppose I've just reached the point of bashing Browning fatigue and would rather just change the subject when it comes up. I still think a Pac title is well within reach weather Jake or Jake starts and I'd rather focus on the 95% that makes me happy.
    Like I said, I'm tired of Jake being the scapegoat too. Winners win. This team SHOULD win the Pac12 regardless of Jake. No excuses.

Jakes bad but he's not some next level of bad that torpedoes the rest of the talent on the team. If he is that bad and you are allowing him to torpedo the whole team then that's not on Jake that's on the coaches.

That means you are higher than 5% FS. That means I really do start to wonder if Petermen can win a Natty here which in turn leads to the question, are you willing to have a "good" coach that can win against inferior talent but can't win it big at UW? If I told you we can win the Pac12 1/3 years and occasionally a NY6 but nothing more is that good enough?

Don't twist, I'm not there yet but if Jake/coaching fucks our season again and we lose the North I'm going to be wondering at these things.
    THIS RIGHT FUCKING HERE

Blame Sark
    Blame ole Trebuchet
    Blame Babushka
    Blame Browning

Fuck right off, its been 5 years, NFL RBs, WRs, TEs fucking everywhere AND a consistently good defense.

Fucking Pete need to fix HIS offense or DIAFF
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sometimes in football it's better to be lucky than good. The glorious 2016 campaign was almost over before it started, but Jake got lucky and tore up the script in OT to beat Arizona. What if the ball bounces our way one more time against Auburn and we convert one of those red zone opportunities into 7 more pts? Would Jake somehow be a better QB because he got lucky and we won? Would the program somehow be a better place because we finally got the marque non-con win?

Edited: I do actually think Jake might be a better QB with that win. It might have gotten that monkey of "not good enough to win it big" off of his back. Now it's ingrained.
    Yes, we did have a chance to do something truly speshial. It was a coin flip game that didn't work out. So be it.

Speaking of risk taking: scheduling games like this is the very definition of taking risks for the bigger reward.
    The why it didn't work out is important though. It's not because we had some flukey football shit happen or something with a high level of variance. It's because Jake performed in a manner that consistently sabotaged the success of the rest of the team.

I can accept a loss to a good team on some statistical randomness. It's a lot tougher to accept a game we should have won by all of the football play except at one position.

ex. the random bounce of an out of character fumble vs. the super in character throwing a pick straight to the defense
    Look, UWDB, I don't disagree with any of your poonts here. The oft stated cliché around (shout out to @Dennis_DeYoung ) is that Pete is doing about 95% really well here and 5% FS. The shitty QB play from a 4 year starter is in the 5% and it's fair game to criticize Pete on this. I suppose I've just reached the point of bashing Browning fatigue and would rather just change the subject when it comes up. I still think a Pac title is well within reach weather Jake or Jake starts and I'd rather focus on the 95% that makes me happy.
    Like I said, I'm tired of Jake being the scapegoat too. Winners win. This team SHOULD win the Pac12 regardless of Jake. No excuses.

Jakes bad but he's not some next level of bad that torpedoes the rest of the talent on the team. If he is that bad and you are allowing him to torpedo the whole team then that's not on Jake that's on the coaches.

That means you are higher than 5% FS. That means I really do start to wonder if Petermen can win a Natty here which in turn leads to the question, are you willing to have a "good" coach that can win against inferior talent but can't win it big at UW? If I told you we can win the Pac12 1/3 years and occasionally a NY6 but nothing more is that good enough?

Don't twist, I'm not there yet but if Jake/coaching fucks our season again and we lose the North I'm going to be wondering at these things.
    The minimum bar to judge Pete on is DJ- i.e., win the Pac once every three years, and always be playing football games that matter in November. DJ took 9 17 years to win his NT. Dabo took 8.5. Where in year 5 of Pete. It's way to early to start making judgments as to whether or not he can win a NT or let along match DJ's level of success.
    Hey, I still think Pete is on the right track long term but to quote an economist, "We're all dead in the long term."

We all know the on the field success is lagging all the other metrics like recruiting right now but how many other fan bases do we make fun of for that same trope? 2019 2020 2021 [Fill in the blank] could be special. At what point do we have to have a special season and not just the future hope of one?

Nut up and win the PAC12 and a rosebowl this year. It's tim.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,935
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

The minimum bar to judge Pete on is DJ- i.e., win the Pac once every three years, and always be playing football games that matter in November. DJ took 9 17 years to win his NT. Dabo took 8.5. Where in year 5 of Pete. It's way to early to start making judgments as to whether or not he can win a NT or let along match DJ's level of success.
    Hey, I still think Pete is on the right track long term but to quote an economist, "We're all dead in the long term."

We all know the on the field success is lagging all the other metrics like recruiting right now but how many other fan bases do we make fun of for that same trope? 2019 2020 2021 [Fill in the blank] could be special. At what point do we have to have a special season and not just the future hope of one?

Wrong, wrong, wrong.
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/which-college-football-teams-do-the-most-with-the-least-talent-and-vice-versa/

• Options
    Honestly I think it's the defense this season that has a better chance of letting us down than Jake and the offense. lack of pass rush and ZERO play making ability in the front 7 is very concerning. No picks by our DBs in two games doesn't look good either.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Wrong, wrong, wrong.
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/which-college-football-teams-do-the-most-with-the-least-talent-and-vice-versa/

That's only for 2015-2016...which no one denied we were outperforming ourselves in 2016.

Got a fupdate to include last year?
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

Honestly I think it's the defense this season that has a better chance of letting us down than Jake and the offense. lack of pass rush and ZERO play making ability in the front 7 is very concerning. No picks by our DBs in two games doesn't look good either.

DBs have been my biggest disappointment, followed by LB play & depth.