Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sam "Boston Lager" Adams, 4* 2020 RB, Bellevue (Eastside Catholic), WA (COMMITTED)

1282930313234»

Comments

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,980
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

NEsnake12 said:

thechatch said:

Very few tailbacks take in the 1st/2nd round these days.

DBs are at a premium. If you’re deciding between two positions it’s pretty obvious where your best chance is to see the field and get drafted.

And even in just the last 10 years, there’s been a dramatic shift in how NFL teams utilize and value RBs.

2010 season: 11 RBs with 250+ carries
    2020 season: 3 RBs with 250+ carries

And how many RBs drafted in the first 2 rounds in the last 10 years would you look back and say “yeah that pick was worth it”?
    Probably just Zeke, McCaffrey, and Cook. And Cook only because he was taken in the second round. And Zeke might not be worth it anymore after the year he just had.

It's wild that we're talking about potential HOFers here, and yet we can't be sure that they would've been worth the picks that they were taken at. I'm not sure why anyone would choose to play RB if they could play literally any other position.
    Henry, edwards hilaire and Barkley and probably josh Jacobs IMO are all worth it. But you could make the case they’re not because of injuries too. Running back is complicated.

That said if you get a top 5-10 level running back you have a real playmaker in your backfield for dirt cheap by salary comparisons. I would say if you expect to have your team compete for a deep playoff run during the first contract for a couple of years of said player it’s absolutely worth it.

Lining up all those things is the difficult part.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

NEsnake12 said:

thechatch said:

DBs are at a premium. If you’re deciding between two positions it’s pretty obvious where your best chance is to see the field and get drafted.

And even in just the last 10 years, there’s been a dramatic shift in how NFL teams utilize and value RBs.

And how many RBs drafted in the first 2 rounds in the last 10 years would you look back and say “yeah that pick was worth it”?
    Probably just Zeke, McCaffrey, and Cook. And Cook only because he was taken in the second round. And Zeke might not be worth it anymore after the year he just had.

It's wild that we're talking about potential HOFers here, and yet we can't be sure that they would've been worth the picks that they were taken at. I'm not sure why anyone would choose to play RB if they could play literally any other position.
    Henry, edwards hilaire and Barkley and probably josh Jacobs IMO are all worth it. But you could make the case they’re not because of injuries too. Running back is complicated.

That said if you get a top 5-10 level running back you have a real playmaker in your backfield for dirt cheap by salary comparisons. I would say if you expect to have your team compete for a deep playoff run during the first contract for a couple of years of said player it’s absolutely worth it.

Forgot about Henry. But he was a mid 2nd rounder, which further proves the point that taking a RB high is a waste of a pick. Like Barkley. The Giants would kill to have a do-over on that #2 overall pick.
  • Options
    SonnyShackelfordSonnyShackelford Member Posts: 917
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Feels like Johri Fogerson 2.0
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

NEsnake12 said:

thechatch said:

Barkley at two is a reach. He’s good, but kind of an all or nothing back. I have a somewhat controversial opinion that Adrian Peterson was always overrated because of the all or nothing factor to his game. And nowadays, the RB better be a real threat catching the ball.

I don’t hate picking a RB in the first round tho. Of course I would rather pick Alvin Kamara in the third round but that basically goes for any position. Safeties and ILB’s are also not considered value positions in the draft, but it’s stupid to me.

A legit difference maker is worth a high pick, regardless of position. So many times we hear about a LT being a safe pick when the LT is really just an average player with a low ceiling.

I’ve posted before about how stupid it is to pick a guy that scouts say can’t play LT, but can play RT as if opponents can’t put their best pass rusher against a RT. LT is a tiny bit more important than RT, but the blindside bullshit jumped the shark a long time ago. A mediocre or bad tackle will fuck you. You can get away with an average interior OL, but not more than one.

The real stupidity is picking a non pass rushing DT early. I like Danny Shelton because he played at UW but picking him 11th was asinine. Run stuffing veteran DT’s are available for bargain prices and saving money to get a player 95% as good is important.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,980
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

NEsnake12 said:

thechatch said:

Forgot about Henry. But he was a mid 2nd rounder, which further proves the point that taking a RB high is a waste of a pick. Like Barkley. The Giants would kill to have a do-over on that #2 overall pick.
    The problem with the giants taking Barkley high is the rest of their team is ass so by the time the team is ready to compete they likely have to pay top dollar to keep Him. This is also assuming he stays healthy which is a problem with multiple positions besides rb.

Taking Zeke high wasn’t bad for Dallas. They just choked in the playoffs and did nothing before they had to pay him.

If there was a stud running back for the dolphins or 49ers this year it may have been worth it for either of those teams as they are solid to good rosters. Not sure there was though. Maybe Najee Harris but that may be a stretch.