Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sam "Boston Lager" Adams, 4* 2020 RB, Bellevue (Eastside Catholic), WA (COMMITTED)

Comments

• Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    If a player can get the rock 15-25 times a game in their hands ... Is that overrated? If they are good?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    animate said:

If a player can get the rock 15-25 times a game in their hands ... Is that overrated? If they are good?

Running back success or failure is determined more by a) the offensive line and b) the formations/play-calling than it is by the running back.

I'm not claiming RBs don't matter. I don't believe that. I am saying that they typically get more credit and blame than they deserve.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,615
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Great running backs can cover for other deficiencies and save your ass in games where the offense isn't working otherwise. They are important to most great teams.

Polk, Sankey, or Gaskin would be making plays right now that extend drives and result in points. Instead we have a crew of guys who each have enough ability to take advantage of good blocking and timely play calls. None of them are making things happen on their own, its missed, and it will continue to be missed.
  • Options
    chuck said:

Great running backs can cover for other deficiencies and save your ass in games where the offense isn't working otherwise. They are important to most great teams.

Polk, Sankey, or Gaskin would be making plays right now that extend drives and result in points. Instead we have a crew of guys who each have enough ability to take advantage of good blocking and timely play calls. None of them are making things happen on their own, its missed, and it will continue to be missed.

I love all three of those guys very much but only Polk was extremely highly recruited and he wasn't recruited as a RB.

And none of them have done anything in the NFL (obviously still hoping Gaskin does).

We'd be better with one of them starting this year, don't twist, but they kind of prove the point I'm making. Having a Napolean Kauffman or a Corey Dillon is fucking awesome, but those guys are rare and you can win (bigly) without them.

I'd like an RB coach who is at least willing to swing for the fences with those kinds of guys though.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,615
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

chuck said:

I love all three of those guys very much but only Polk was extremely highly recruited and he wasn't recruited as a RB.

And none of them have done anything in the NFL (obviously still hoping Gaskin does).

We'd be better with one of them starting this year, don't twist, but they kind of prove the point I'm making. Having a Napolean Kauffman or a Corey Dillon is fucking awesome, but those guys are rare and you can win (bigly) without them.

I'd like an RB coach who is at least willing to swing for the fences with those kinds of guys though.
    Good point. The three guys I mentioned were all lucky grabs as recruits since they were all way better than their ratings or offers would've indicated.

On the other hand, Polk was a fast athlete with a frame to carry significant weight. Sankey had elite speed and quickness and was a workhorse to boot, and Gaskin had amazing vision and elusiveness to go with that stout lower body. These were all things plain to see from their HS videos. The only backs on our roster that had eye popping traits as prospects are Salvon, who we knew was a finesse back who would struggle in a featured role, and a true freshman. The rest are solid role players but there's not one among them that anyone expected to carry the offense at any point. I think it's wrong to argue that the talent level is not below what we should aim for and expect.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,708
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

KB’s RBs are fine but let’s not act like we are RB fucking U or something.

Did you know Bama has had 9 RBs drafted in last 9 years?

Ingram
    Richardson
    Lacy
    Yeldon
    Henry
    Drake
    Scarborough
    Jacobs
    Harris

LSU 6 in last 7 including Fournette and Guice.

Nobody is acting like we are RBU. It’s just not a problematic position. If Bama or Saquan Barkley is the standard, then we suck at almost every position. Gaskin was a favorite but he’s behind those guys too.

I simply think Newton is going to be very good. Ahmed has played well the last two games too. Sunday will be a monster too. You guys are too stuck on ratings. Good players are good players and we have them at RB.
    It’s not a problematic position because there are a million guys that can do fine on a good team with good blocking. Great, we have a couple of them. Maybe. We certainly don’t have a stable.

But yes Zeke Elliott, Saquon Barkley, Derrick He Ray, Damien Harris, Travis Etienne are the standard. We are trying to win national championships here not lose to Cal.
    Yes, Ahmed and Newton played a large role in that loss.
    Again, they were fine, not spectacular. Cal’s RBs were better. That shouldn’t happen.
  • Options
    Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533
    I thought when we got McGrew it was one of the biggest coups on the West Coast. Same with Wattenburg.

I've liked McGrew this year, but he can also just be a JAG back there, too. What really saddens me is that we have another year of him returning kickoffs. Nothing dynamic there, a la Fuller.
  • Options
    JnewbludJnewblud Member Posts: 36
    5 Up Votes Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    Can't wait to see this kid in action for the Huskies!
  • Options
    sinceredawgsinceredawg Member Posts: 774
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Dissin Adams over on the DM.c bored, sayin he's not even getting touches?
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,901
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Dissin Adams over on the DM.c bored, sayin he's not even getting touches?

Well, hes not. They have some white guy as their primary RB. Sam is playing primarily on defense
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Might be keeping some miles off him for us.

The Crusaders aren't afraid to play the young talent.
  • Options
    So are Husky coaches going to force him in at RB? Or would he play on D?
  • Options

He's played plenty of RB in his high school career, playing him there won't be forcing anything.
  • Options
    dnc said:

He's played plenty of RB in his high school career, playing him there won't be forcing anything.
    It would be if it's not his best position.
  • Options

dnc said:

Who says it's not his best position?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Gee Scott and a couple others have said he’s a better DB. I don’t think he will be as good of RB as Sunday. More versatile, but I don’t love Adams on offense.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited September 2019

dnc said:

dnc said:

Gee Scott and a couple others have said he’s a better DB. I don’t think he will be as good of RB as Sunday. More versatile, but I don’t love Adams on offense.
    He is a better DB. He tried committing to OSU on his visit but they wouldn't take him as a RB and thought they were in on better safeties. He wants to play RB anyway