Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jaden McDaniels (Federal Way) (COMMITTED) (EMFA KENTUCKY)

Comments

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,982
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    He has never been coached to harness his talent. His height on offense is almost a detriment to how he tries to play. He is 6-9 but plays like a 6-3 guard wants to face you up and try and cross you up or spin off you and keep his dribble it’s a turnover machine. It’s a long time for the ball from his hand to the floor. He doesn’t get that though.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,854
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

He has never been coached to harness his talent. His height on offense is almost a detriment to how he tries to play. He is 6-9 but plays like a 6-3 guard wants to face you up and try and cross you up or spin off you and keep his dribble it’s a turnover machine. It’s a long time for the ball from his hand to the floor. He doesn’t get that though.

Jerome Collins strikes again....

• Options
    Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Not even sure it’s coaching with McDaniels. Most high school kids aren’t well coached and AAU coaching is a joke.

He’s a toolsy player that hasn’t put it together. He wouldn’t be substantially better anywhere else. It is what it is.

He needs to be coached out of the 1:1 deep 2, but otherwise agree. Trouble is that’s a big part of how he scores.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,982
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Not even sure it’s coaching with McDaniels. Most high school kids aren’t well coached and AAU coaching is a joke.

He’s a toolsy player that hasn’t put it together. He wouldn’t be substantially better anywhere else. It is what it is.

I think he would be better at a school where they don’t encourage him to create the offense just by elimination of some of his half court ISO’s from 30 ft out.

It’s painful watching the defense collapse on him once he starts dribbling.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

I think he would be better at a school where they don’t encourage him to create the offense just by elimination of some of his half court ISO’s from 30 ft out.

At a less talented school Mcdaniels plays even more minutes, handles the ball more, and is relied on even more. He probably struggles horribly trying to force things until he quits mid season.

At a major talented school like Kentucky he is probably benched and getting extremely limited minutes.

Instead he is a hometown guy with just enough talent around him to hide the fact that he has very little usable talent on the court but is still getting regular minutes so isnt buried and called a bust.

I think Mcdaniels has been incredibly lucky to basically walk into, on accident, a Goldilocks situation for him that has mostly protected his potential projections despite his fluctuations in on court effort and relatively disappointing play.
  • Options

At a less talented school Mcdaniels plays even more minutes, handles the ball more, and is relied on even more. He probably struggles horribly trying to force things until he quits mid season.

At a major talented school like Kentucky he is probably benched and getting extremely limited minutes.

Instead he is a hometown guy with just enough talent around him to hide the fact that he has very little usable talent on the court but is still getting regular minutes so isnt buried and called a bust.

I think Mcdaniels has been incredibly lucky to basically walk into, on accident, a Goldilocks situation for him that has mostly protected his potential projections despite his fluctuations in on court effort and relatively disappointing play.
  • Options
    louism2washlouism2wash Member Posts: 334
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    McDaniels has above-average skills/raw tools. What he(and every other guard on our team) doesn't do is take what the defense gives them. Guys like Naz and McDaniels can get mid-range jump shots at will but they would rather try to take it into the teeth of the defense for a low-percentage shot. That's on Hop.

The offense that Hop runs requires guys to get their own shot and you live and die by your shooters getting/staying hot. We don't have a single competent shooter on this team right now. When you don't have guys who can create their own shot you have to run an offense of some kind that dictates where/when shots are taken. Look at Michigan State, they run a deliberate offense where the offense relies upon guards curling off of picks and the shot that opens up is the mid-range jumper. No matter who is on that team they run the same offense. Guys don't have to create their own shot. They just play the system and the system creates open mid-range shots.
  • Options

McDaniels has above-average skills/raw tools. What he(and every other guard on our team) doesn't do is take what the defense gives them. Guys like Naz and McDaniels can get mid-range jump shots at will but they would rather try to take it into the teeth of the defense for a low-percentage shot. That's on Hop.

The offense that Hop runs requires guys to get their own shot and you live and die by your shooters getting/staying hot. We don't have a single competent shooter on this team right now. When you don't have guys who can create their own shot you have to run an offense of some kind that dictates where/when shots are taken. Look at Michigan State, they run a deliberate offense where the offense relies upon guards curling off of picks and the shot that opens up is the mid-range jumper. No matter who is on that team they run the same offense. Guys don't have to create their own shot. They just play the system and the system creates open mid-range shots.

Mcdaniels doesnt do much "above-average"

Shooting = below average
    Ball handling = below average
    without the ball = below average
    rebounding = below average
    perimeter defense = below average
    Passing = average

he is maybe above average at low, weak-side help defense/blocks, thats about it.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,854
    edited March 2020
    Tequilla said:

I see him going overseas to gain experience. One and done.

• Options
    Tequilla said:
    When people say that some people just mentally mature enough to go into the NBA McDaniels is that...

He isnt good enough to have the sleepy/mopey attitude, its going to drive coaches and trainers absolutely insane. Im not even sure he even likes to play basketball let alone has the passion and work ethic to make it in any competitive league.

81% chance he continues to not put in the work off the court, He is well below average when it comes to his shooting as a guard, ball handling, and physical development.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Probably my least favorite husky basketball player of all time.

Yeah it used to be Wroten for me but Wroten was significantly better in his one and done year.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

Yeah it used to be Wroten for me but Wroten was significantly better in his one and done year.
    I hate all those fags who transferred to Gonzaga. Dickau, Brown, Knight, Williams-Goss.

Don’t agree on Dickau. One of my favorite college hoopers. I can’t blame NWG either. He wanted to win.
  • Options

dnc said:

I hate all those fags who transferred to Gonzaga. Dickau, Brown, Knight, Williams-Goss.

Don’t agree on Dickau. One of my favorite college hoopers. I can’t blame NWG either. He wanted to win.
    All those guys except maybe Knight made the right choice, and hard to blame him either. IIRC he transferred because he hated Doug Wrenn.

• Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,474
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:
    When people say that some people just mentally mature enough to go into the NBA McDaniels is that...

He isnt good enough to have the sleepy/mopey attitude, its going to drive coaches and trainers absolutely insane. Im not even sure he even likes to play basketball let alone has the passion and work ethic to make it in any competitive league.

81% chance he continues to not put in the work off the court, He is well below average when it comes to his shooting as a guard, ball handling, and physical development.
    I can agree that his ball handling and shooting aren't as good as he thinks they are, but he wasn't necessarily a low effort player, just extremely sloppy.

He was pretty disruptive on D, effort wasn’t an issue. Trying to be Kevin Durant was the issue.
  • Options
    Doogles said:

Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

I can agree that his ball handling and shooting aren't as good as he thinks they are, but he wasn't necessarily a low effort player, just extremely sloppy.

He was pretty disruptive on D, effort wasn’t an issue. Trying to be Kevin Durant was the issue.
    Agreed, you don't block that many shots by being lazy and not caring.

His biggest problem was that he was way overhyped.