Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Most painful Husky losses that you remember

For some reason with Oregon having yet another painful loss, last night on Pac-12 classics it was the 1992 UW at Arizona game and of course this is UCLA the school who gave us IMO our most painful loss in program history.

So to you guys what is your top 5 most painful Husky losses?

1. UCLA loss in 1990: Cost us a national title, easily the worst defensive performance of that era, offense was terrible.

2. 1995 home loss to Oregon: Cost us a Rose Bowl plus back to back losses to Oregon just fucking sucked.

3. UW at Arizona in 1992: I forgot what losing felt like. That whole week was fucked up and watching our offense just sputter really hurt. I was just in shock the rest of the night.

4. UW at UCLA in 1999: Cost us a Rose Bowl and UCLA was fucking awful that year/injured. I still remember Tui throwing a costly pick in Overtime to blow the game.

5. UW at Michigan in 2002: That team had some talk of national title and a lot of talk of Rose Bowl. To lose on having 12 men on the field after a timeout just fucking ruined my day. I was like Race/iDawg after the BYU loss where I was like TSIO as I knew then that team didn't have what it took.

I was born in 1980 so that is why I left out 1982 AC and 1985 Oregon State.

If you noticed I don't have any in the past decade not because we haven't had painful losses but more to the fact I stopped caring. UW back then was a big deal and every loss mattered so much.

So guys what are your most painful losses?

Comments

• section8section8 Member Posts: 1,581
    2007 losing the chance to fire our sack of shit coach and hire Jim Mora. Cost us several quality bowl wins and a shot at a good BCS game.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,829 Founders Club
    edited November 2013
    1990 Colorado & 1990 UCLA... the 1995 home loss to ND and then the "Leap by the Lake" game. The Holiday Bowl loss against Major Applewhite's Texas really sucked ass.
  • section8 said:

2007 losing the chance to fire our sack of shit coach and hire Jim Mora. Cost us several quality bowl wins and a shot at a good BCS game.

I should clarify actual games. Coaching hires/blunders are an entire different category.

Damn that list could go on forever.
  • unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    There's been many, but the 1995 home loss to ND sticks out. Only b/c a guy from my HS was playing for ND and he likes to talk shit at reunions. Cocksmoker

There's been many, but the 1995 home loss to ND sticks out. Only b/c a guy from my HS was playing for ND and he likes to talk shit at reunions. Cocksmoker

UW had a comfortable lead in that game in the 3rd quarter and lost the game when ND threw a TD pass to a totally uncovered receiver... pitch & catch... easy.
  • DawgtonaDawgtona Member Posts: 705
    1982 Stanford and WSU, 1984 SC, 1990 Ucla, 1992 Arizona
    The Bledsoe "Snow Bowl" game was a terrible, too. The Huskies were moving the ball well with Darius Turner running the ball up the gut. But, they went away from that in favor of running sweeps with Kaufman.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,842 Founders Club
    '85 Oregon State, '86 ASU, '92 Arizona, '94 Oregon, '95 Oregon, '02 Michigan, '03 Nevada, '04 Arizona.... All losses after that occurred when we ceased being a football school.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    The tie to USC in 94 or 95 sucked. That is one of my earliest memories of going to games. 2000 Oregon, '97 Oregon and Apple Cup.
  • '85 Oregon State, '86 ASU, '92 Arizona, '94 Oregon, '95 Oregon, '02 Michigan, '03 Nevada, '04 Arizona.... All losses after that occurred when we ceased being a football school.

Why was 04' Arizona painful? By that point we were like 1-8.

Nevada was more frustration that we lost but I stopped giving a fuck as I knew Gilby was a shit coach.

Good choice guys on 1995 Notre Dame. I remember leading by 7 late, then they blocked a John Whales punt as our normal punter was hurt. Then ND goes for two and the lead where Mayes is wide open.

Then Huard is driving us down for the win only to throw a pick six. That was only our second home loss in a a span of 40 games at the time.
  • DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    Definitely '95 Notre Dame. 99 UCLA because I made my parents promise me they'd take me to the rose bowl if we went. The tie vs USC that cost us the PAc10. I still say the loss to Nevada because that was a huge omen of things to come and pretty much ruined my night. Personally, the 05 Apple cup really really stung because I started college in 02 having huge hopes for the program while I was there. And working for the team my junior senior year, I just remember walking up the tunnel cussing up a storm realizing that my upperclassmen years at UW we went 3-19.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited November 2013
    good call on '99 UCLA. I was in a similar position as you. I would have been at the Rose Bowl if we won that one. At least I got to go the next year.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,842 Founders Club
    edited November 2013
    re: '04 AZ... Because Napoleon Kaufman and Lincoln Kennedy were inducted into the Husky HOF at halftime, and the surreal scene of empty seats and a shitty football team were hard for me to take.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    2012 apple cup. What the fuck?
  • re: '04 AZ... Because Napoleon Kaufman and Lincoln Kennedy were inducted into the Husky HOF at halftime, and the surreal scene of empty seats and a shitty football team were hard for me to take.

That makes more sense. I'll say the 2011 Oregon game was tough in that regard too. How piss poorly they handled honoring the 1991 Huskies team.

Seeing what we used to be while watching our rivals become what we once were. I know you even wrote a good article on that.
    I was at the 99 UCLA game. A dude was passing around a sign up sheet for people that would be interested iin a rose bowl trip package.
    1990 Colorado didn't bother me. I felt UW lost to a very good team on the road and played them right to the wire. I felt the team was on the verge of great things.
  • I was at the 99 UCLA game. A dude was passing around a sign up sheet for people that would be interested iin a rose bowl trip package.

I remember them passing around roses in the winning locker room after defeating Arizona and thinking about the 1990 feeling I had when UW had to host UCLA. I thought it was a terrible omen.

At least the next year we made up for it with a Rose Bowl win.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,798
    James '93
    Neuheisel '03
    Mora '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
  • Only time I was ever happy after a loss was Hawaii in 2007 as I thought for sure that was the final nail in the Tyrone coffin.

When Ty was announced for a year four that was easily the most devastated I felt in the past decade. I couldn't believe it at all.

I hated the hire but when after year three when they looked at all the evidence to bring that fucker back when Mora was sitting right fucking there in town I was so pissed.