Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

JIMMY LAKE DC, KWAT CO-DC

Comments

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,670
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

K probably moves right back to DC after the year. I doubt this arrangement lasts longer than a year, two tops.

Strange move. Maybe K is one of those guys that misses having a small group to coach. I’ve heard coaches talk about missing being a position coach.

Just weird. I can’t recall a coordinator of the top defense in the conference (for 2 straight years, possibly 3?) getting demoted.

Patterson at asu this year.

Although graham was the real dc
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

The alternative to this move was losing Jimmy Lake entirely. If you're not with it you're FS. JL's recruiting prowess can now be diversified across the D. And Kwat is still on staff for the long term. I love the move.

• Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,495
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

The alternative to this move was losing Jimmy Lake entirely. If you're not with it you're FS. JL's recruiting prowess can now be diversified across the D. And Kwat is still on staff for the long term. I love the move.

53 seconds, biotch!
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,198
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

HuskyJW said:

dnc said:

K probably moves right back to DC after the year. I doubt this arrangement lasts longer than a year, two tops.

Strange move. Maybe K is one of those guys that misses having a small group to coach. I’ve heard coaches talk about missing being a position coach.

Just weird. I can’t recall a coordinator of the top defense in the conference (for 2 straight years, possibly 3?) getting demoted.

The danger is if this doesn’t work well and Lake doesn’t get hired away, then what do you do? Would Pete demote Lake? Would Lake accept a demotion?

Best case scenario is Lake crushes it and gets hired away in the next 24 months. If that doesn’t happen... *shudder*.
    Maybe he knows how to stop someone on 3rd down in "big" games?
    Of all the possible positions to take on this move, "Kwat deserved the demotion" is clearly the most sensible. Kudos to you and @Haie on that.
    I try and look for the positive in everything.
  • Options
    dawgs206 said:

Pros:
    -We keep Lake on staff.

Cons:
    -Our best position coach is no longer a position coach.
    -One of the best DC's in the country is no longer the DC.
    -Our best recruiter now has more responsibility in game planning and our worst recruiter has more responsibility recruiting.

Perfect summation
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,500
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

The danger is if this doesn’t work well and Lake doesn’t get hired away, then what do you do? Would Pete demote Lake? Would Lake accept a demotion?

Best case scenario is Lake crushes it and gets hired away in the next 24 months. If that doesn’t happen... *shudder*.
    Have you seen the coaching carousel lately? Fucking dreck and double dreck. Lake will be gone in 1-2 years unless this defense takes yuuuuge steps backwards and then falls into a ditch.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,500
    Swaye's Wigwam

Get a fucking avatar.
  • Options
    pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

pat_hm said:

Sounds good and I love me some Jimmy, but if he was calling plays in the Fiesta Bowel there might be a learning curve here...

If Miles Bryant weren't forced into depth then two of those touchdowns don't happen. I think the scheme was fine. This will help us in recruiting too.
    Bullshit. Penn State was what, 14/15 against us on third down? That was some shit playcalling, and it's a little telling that it wasn't Kwat dialing those up. I think it's a great hire, but let's not kid ourselves, that was a shit defensive effort.
    I’m sorry but talent matters. It felt just like the Stanford game that Kwat called; couldn’t get off the field and picking on midget miles all day long. I agree it was a poor defensive showing and l love the lake promotion. I think Kwat has been grooming him for years. I don’t see a significant drop off at all. It will help us bc we’ll be able to attract more talent with our best recruiter as DC imo.
  • Options
    DodgyBlokeDodgyBloke Member Posts: 957
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2018
    I think it’s time Lake gives Smalls a phone call
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dawgs206 said:

Pros:
    -We keep Lake on staff.

Cons:
    -Our best position coach is no longer a position coach.
    -One of the best DC's in the country is no longer the DC.
    -Our best recruiter now has more responsibility in game planning and our worst recruiter has more responsibility recruiting.

Hopefully Lake can help with recruiting more positions than DB, but who knows how that will go. It still seems like a somewhat awkward move because I doubt Lake feels like he is in complete control of the defense and that is probably something most DC's covet. I agree this is a 1-2 year move. 81% chance this works out until it doesn't.

Obligatory were Dawgs1-205 already spoken for?! Otherwise, spot on take... this move is really puzzling to me too. Taking playcalling away from Kwat, something by any objective measure he's excelled at, and giving him more time to recruit, something by any objective measure he's failed at, is curious.
  • Options
    BaldwinIVBaldwinIV Member Posts: 797
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I hope the LinkedIn theory, in that nothing internally is actually going to change, is what's going on. Doesn't seem like something Pete would do though.

This is bad.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,710
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Damn guys who the fuck knows the reason behind it or what practical differences it even makes? Quit worrying your pretty little heads about it.

But...my guess is they mutually agreed on a change of titles and there won't be much if any changes to how calls are made in game.
  • Options
    RhythmicSlappingDawgRhythmicSlappingDawg Member Posts: 1,176
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    dnc said:

There's a lot more ways for this to go badly than to go well.

Really hard to imagine it making us better.

Saban wanted him as his DC nuff said.
  • Options

dnc said:

Komo 4?

Also, Sark is a great OC. Being an alcoholic has nothing to do with his intelligence or talent as a game planner and play caller. He's good enough for Alabama and the Falcons. I think the opinions of the people who made the decision to hire him hold a little more weight than yours.
  • Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Komo 4?

Also, Sark is a great OC. Being an alcoholic has nothing to do with his intelligence or talent as a game planner and play caller. He's good enough for Alabama and the Falcons. I think the opinions of the people who made the decision to hire him hold a little more weight than yours.
    Saban shitcanned him after one game. He was never going to be the Bama OC in 17, he was a placeholder. Saban isn't completely FS. Dan Quinn is though. That speaks volumes.
  • Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Komo 4?

Also, the defense is Saban's baby. He NOGAF about the offense and leaves them alone but the defense.