Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

JIMMY LAKE DC, KWAT CO-DC

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    There's a lot more ways for this to go badly than to go well.

Really hard to imagine it making us better.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,670
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    TheHB said:

Maybe there is more to this story, but it does seem like Pete is bending over backwards to keep Lake around, and now he’s messing with a proven entity to do it. Weird.

Simple fact.

Kim talked him into it.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,500
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Yeah but you have to compare it to other future scenarios not just the current status quo. Of course we would all like things to stay the same in areas where we are elite but everything is a changin' all the tim.

Other scenarios.

Lake LEAVES!!! to become a DC at another school. <-We are worse off.
    Kwat LEAVES!!! to become a head coach <-We are worse off.

and probably a bunch of other ones I won't bother with but that would also be worse. The raility is that JL is upward mobile in the landscape right now. What's the best scenario you can imagine where that is still part of the equation.
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,910
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think it is a great move. Kwat has shown by his previous actions that he is selfless and tied to Pete. He is content with the system and culture. Like others have stated he probably would prefer to work with the kids more while grooming Jimmy to keep moving up the ranks. Their whole system is based on being selfless and bettering themselves and the people around them. This really makes perfect sense to me and I love it because we get to keep Lake and Kwat for a few more years. It is also possible Kwat is looking to step back and retire in the future.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,817
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    dnc said:

I've obviously been banging the Lake's leaving inevitably drum fairly hard over the last couple of years and for sure the last couple of months ...

There's no way that I would have ever thought that this type of scenario was realistic ... this kind of move NEVER HAPPENS ...

I don't think this move happens without K's blessing ... wouldn't shock me if he suggested it.

For those that like to bang the drum of it being important to put the best staff possible together ... it's these kinds of outside of the box moves that allow you to have a chance to do so.

Biggest risk to me though is that you have 2 largely unproven coordinators making the play calls now ... definitely will be interesting to see how it plays out.
  • Options

dnc said:

Yeah but you have to compare it to other future scenarios not just the current status quo. Of course we would all like things to stay the same in areas where we are elite but everything is a changin' all the tim.

Other scenarios.

and probably a bunch of other ones I won't bother with but that would also be worse. The raility is that JL is upward mobile in the landscape right now. What's the best scenario you can imagine where that is still part of the equation.</p>
    If you're worried about Kwat leaving to become an HC, this makes that much more likely.

And yes, we've had this discussion for months. Lake's departure to become a DC at some point is chinevitable. You don't demote a top 5 DC to roll the dice with a guy who's never called plays, no matter how good of a position coach he is.

This won't end well.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

I've obviously been banging the Lake's leaving inevitably drum fairly hard over the last couple of years and for sure the last couple of months ...

There's no way that I would have ever thought that this type of scenario was realistic ... this kind of move NEVER HAPPENS ...

I don't think this move happens without K's blessing ... wouldn't shock me if he suggested it.

For those that like to bang the drum of it being important to put the best staff possible together ... it's these kinds of outside of the box moves that allow you to have a chance to do so.

Biggest risk to me though is that you have 2 largely unproven coordinators making the play calls now ... definitely will be interesting to see how it plays out.
    I agree, I didn't think it was realistic either, because I didn't think Pete would mess with the strongest asset on his staff which is a killer DC.

I wouldn't like this no matter who was calling plays on offense. It's not likely to go well for the defense.
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

Other scenarios.

and probably a bunch of other ones I won't bother with but that would also be worse. The raility is that JL is upward mobile in the landscape right now. What's the best scenario you can imagine where that is still part of the equation.</p>
    If you're worried about Kwat leaving to become an HC, this makes that much more likely.

I think it signals that Kwat leaving for a HC gig is never going to happen unless Pete's time at UW is over.
    I think we already knew that though, but yeah I guess this moves it from an over/under of 5% that he goes to .81%.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,670
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    It basically means K is a pussy.
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,298
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic, but I like the move. Our best coach on staff is staying. Kwat will still be involved in gameplanning, but overall will have less responsibilities so hopefully he can spend more time recruiting. Jimmy Lake knows the system, he's not going to make major changes now that he has the DC title.

I would not be scared off by him maybe calling the plays in the Fiesta Bowl, I just don't think play calling is the reason they killed us. Stanford did the same shit to us when Kwat was calling plays.

And now that we have 2 DB coaches, it makes sense that one of them be the DC if you're allocating your resources evenly. Harris can pick up the recruiting slack if Jimmy has less time to recruit. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY WE GET TO KEEP JIMMY LAKE
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

I've heard rumors that Lake was the play caller for the Fiesta Bowl.

Thanks Fleenor!
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,782
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Pete is finally seeing the light on Kwat after ASU, Furd, Pedo.