Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

THE PLAYOFF SHOULD BE 8

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club
    If I was ever given the powers of modulation I would chin so many of my own posts it would make your dick spin.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419

Why is it so hard?

Here are the three simple qualifications:

1. Win your P5 conference.
    2. G5 teams that go undefeated are auto-bids (if there are more than three than just use the fucking committee to rank).
    3. Fill the rest with at-larges from the current committee system.

Don't allow teams from the same conference to play in the at-large game.

This has the advantage of
    a) preserving classic bowl ties
    b) preserving the meaning of every game in CFB
    c) allows for this stupid power ranking bullshit every year that people seem to love, although I think it's FS
    d) allows for the shit challengers from G5 to get proper fucked, but have a great story to get there.
    e) add intrigue and fun as we don't know how many at-large teams will be selected.

First round (J1)

Rose: B1G vs. Pac-12
    Orange: ACC vs. Big XII
    Sugar: SEC vs. AL3
    Fiesta: AL1 vs. AL2

Second round (J8)

Peach & Cotton with the same rules as now, committee ranks, highest seeds play closest to home.

Third round (J15)

Rotate locations on a bid process like the Superp Owl... or whatever. Possibly it should be played the week between the divisional championships and the Superb Owl.

Rose: Ohio State vs. Oregon
    Orange: FSU vs. Baylor
    Sugar: Bama vs. Michigan State
    Fiesta: TCU vs. Mississippi State

Rose: Michigan State vs. Stanford
    Orange: Clemson vs. Oklahoma
    Sugar: Bama vs. Ohio State
    Fiesta: Iowa vs. Notre Dame

Rose: Penn State vs. UW
    Sugar: Bama vs. Michigan
    Fiesta: Ohio State vs. Western Michigan

Rose: Ohio State vs. USC
    Sugar: UGA vs. UCF
    Fiesta: Bama vs. Wisconsin

AND OTHER YEARS WE ALL CARE ABOUT:

Rose: Purdue vs. UW
    Orange: Miami vs. Oklahoma
    Sugar: Florida vs. Va Tech
    Fiesta: FSU vs. Oregon State

Rose: Michigan vs. UW
    Orange: Miami vs. A&M
    Sugar: Florida vs. Iowa
    Fiesta: FSU vs. Penn State

Rose: Ohio State vs. USC
    Orange: Boston College vs. Oklahoma
    Sugar: Florida vs. BYU
    Fiesta: Washington vs. Nebraska

That's absurd. How will we justify a handful of millionaires collecting $500,000 salaries to determine "Whose in?" under that system?
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    SEC getting an at large every year is a terrible idea. Otherwise I'm down with this plan.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,964
    Frankly, I like it best the way it was, and that's because it's the way it was. I like most things the way they were, because that's the way they were.

It was better with the random tie-in bowls (Orange Big 8, open; Rose Pac, Big, etc.).

It was more fun to argue about it. Who needs objectivity? Who cares? It gives smart and stupid people alike something to do.

I also wish there were more powerful independents. Those that played hard as nails schedules and went around mixing shit up to go along with old conference ties. It was messy, like an Italian kitchen. It was good.

GUOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,967 Founders Club

Frankly, I like it best the way it was, and that's because it's the way it was. I like most things the way they were, because that's the way they were.

It was better with the random tie-in bowls (Orange Big 8, open; Rose Pac, Big, etc.).

It was more fun to argue about it. Who needs objectivity? Who cares? It gives smart and stupid people alike something to do.

I also wish there were more powerful independents. Those that played hard as nails schedules and went around mixing shit up to go along with old conference ties. It was messy, like an Italian kitchen. It was good.

GUOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone here who wouldn't rank January 1st, 1992 as their greatest sports viewing day of all time needs to LEAVE! Cal won a Citrus Party Bowl over Cimpson for crying out loud. I didn't even care that Miami beat Tom Osborne for the like the infinityeth time; we were National Champs before they even kicked off that game in the REAL Orange Bowl.
  • RhythmicSlappingDawgRhythmicSlappingDawg Member Posts: 1,176

I assure you Dennis that in an NFL hating competition, I can hold my own with anyone here. And there's a hell of a lot more than just(now diminished) Bowls which make CF a far better product than the NFL:

For example:
    - Better tailgates
    - Better Fans
    - Better pageantry
    - Better (non generic) stadiums
    - More exciting games and varying schemes
    - TBSing
    - Try hard kids of all population groups playing for the love of the game and a free education

I can go on and on.

College football is easily the best sport in America because of its idiosyncrasies and regionality.

Pro football is a boring sport for people who like to get in heated debates about which corporate business is better than the other:

Nike vs. Adidas
    Coors vs. Bud
    McDonald's vs. Burger King

etc.
    Duh. Coors Banquet Beers kicks Bud's ass. The boy's are thirsty in Atlanta and there's (Coors Beer) in Texarkana and we'll bring it back no matter what it takes.

Look, I think your proposed solution has a lot of merit. Sometimes, my inner nihilist just says fuck it and go faggy NFL style, which would have some cool matchups that we don't normally get to see- e.g., #4 UW hosting #12 Okie Light in Seattle in 2016.

The best solution - which no one ever talks about - is to just play all the bowls, old timey style and all and have the AP vote #1 and #2 and have those teams play a game for those that care 2 weeks later. This is how we beat @creepycoug to win our undisputed NT in 1991. https://www.si.com/vault/1992/01/13/125776/the-dream-game-would-you-believe-it-washington-beat-miami-in-the-battle-of-two-no-1s
    This is easily the case. Just have the bowls then do the current system on the final two.

There is literally no good reason why to not do it this way...

When I was FUCKING NINE YEARS OLD... I said 'Mom, there should be a bowl called the Cherry Bowl (great idea, I admit) where the top two vote getters in the AP play and they should do it the week in before the Superb Owl when no one plays'.

FUCK THE WORLD.
    Yeah, why not have Jude and his counterparts decide who plays for the natty, right?
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646

I assure you Dennis that in an NFL hating competition, I can hold my own with anyone here. And there's a hell of a lot more than just(now diminished) Bowls which make CF a far better product than the NFL:

For example:
    - Better tailgates
    - Better Fans
    - Better pageantry
    - Better (non generic) stadiums
    - More exciting games and varying schemes
    - TBSing
    - Try hard kids of all population groups playing for the love of the game and a free education

I can go on and on.

College football is easily the best sport in America because of its idiosyncrasies and regionality.

Pro football is a boring sport for people who like to get in heated debates about which corporate business is better than the other:

Nike vs. Adidas
    Coors vs. Bud
    McDonald's vs. Burger King

etc.
    Duh. Coors Banquet Beers kicks Bud's ass. The boy's are thirsty in Atlanta and there's (Coors Beer) in Texarkana and we'll bring it back no matter what it takes.

Look, I think your proposed solution has a lot of merit. Sometimes, my inner nihilist just says fuck it and go faggy NFL style, which would have some cool matchups that we don't normally get to see- e.g., #4 UW hosting #12 Okie Light in Seattle in 2016.

The best solution - which no one ever talks about - is to just play all the bowls, old timey style and all and have the AP vote #1 and #2 and have those teams play a game for those that care 2 weeks later. This is how we beat @creepycoug to win our undisputed NT in 1991. https://www.si.com/vault/1992/01/13/125776/the-dream-game-would-you-believe-it-washington-beat-miami-in-the-battle-of-two-no-1s
    This is easily the case. Just have the bowls then do the current system on the final two.

There is literally no good reason why to not do it this way...

When I was FUCKING NINE YEARS OLD... I said 'Mom, there should be a bowl called the Cherry Bowl (great idea, I admit) where the top two vote getters in the AP play and they should do it the week in before the Superb Owl when no one plays'.

FUCK THE WORLD.
    Yeah, why not have Jude and his counterparts decide who plays for the natty, right?
    I mean, it's really not that hard. This year for instance, it easily would have been Bama and Georgia for their season and their bowl games.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    very close...

Just need to add a few small qualifiers:

1) requirement for no FCS (division 2 or whatever its called now) games

2) required minimum 9 conference games for the P5 teams

3) must play atleast one non conference P5 team to be eligible
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    Houhusky said:

very close...

These are great additions. I would modify 1 to say 'must have 12 games non FCS'. The FCS stuff is different in different parts of the country, but in the South, a lot of programs make their whole nut for the year by playing up.

It would sabotage a lot of decent FCS schools to take away their ability to play one game 'up'.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    edited January 2018
    Houhusky said:

very close...

I like these, and will expand it...

The P5 needs to tell everyone to fuck off and hire a schedule maker. The idea of teams creating their own schedules is fucking stupid.

What I would do:

Make all 5 leagues have even number of teams (14)

Every school either plays a FCS (these games are crucial for a lot of FCS programs) or none do. I'd lean to every team plays one.

The schedule is rotating based on conference records/strength each year (strongest conference this year plays weakest the next year and rank it down, or some order) OR it's just rotated over a 6 year schedule (Pac v. SEC in 2017, PAC v. SEC in 2018, PAC v. BIG 2019). You play two teams from the opposing conference, one at home one away (based on records) and it flips the next year.

All teams go to 9 conference games.

Schedule would look like this for EVERYONE: FCS, P5 Home, P5 Away, 9 Conference games.

This would allow for fans to know what is happening with their schedule and get excited by it. "Oh shit, Alabama beat Georgia this week, that means if we win out, next year we will get Georgia at home!!! How cool!"
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

Houhusky said:

very close...

The P5 needs to tell everyone to fuck off and hire a schedule maker. The idea of teams creating their own schedules is fucking stupid.

What I would do:

Every school either plays a FCS (these games are crucial for a lot of FCS programs) or none do. I'd lean to every team plays one.

The schedule is rotating based on conference records/strength each year (strongest conference this year plays weakest the next year and rank it down, or some order) OR it's just rotated over a 6 year schedule (Pac v. SEC in 2017, PAC v. SEC in 2018, PAC v. BIG 2019). You play two teams from the opposing conference, one at home one away (based on records) and it flips the next year.

Schedule would look like this for EVERYONE: FCS, P5 Home, P5 Away, 9 Conference games.

This would allow for fans to know what is happening with their schedule and get excited by it. "Oh shit, Alabama beat Georgia this week, that means if we win out, next year we will get Georgia at home!!! How cool!"
    Sounds realistic. When do we start to implement these changes and how can I help?
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    edited January 2018
    Extend it to 8, but disagree with everything else. Discard all previous bowl ties. Why should the PAC 12 be forced to play a team from the BIG 10 in the first round every fucking year? Boring. Mix it up. Would rather see PAC teams face a wider variety of teams from other conferences in big games.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club

Houhusky said:

very close...

What I would do:

Sounds realistic. When do we start to implement these changes and how can I help?
    First of all, we kill all the lawyers
    Checks out.