Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

THE PLAYOFF SHOULD BE 8

Why is it so hard?

Here are the three simple qualifications:

1. Win your P5 conference.
2. G5 teams that go undefeated are auto-bids (if there are more than three than just use the fucking committee to rank).
3. Fill the rest with at-larges from the current committee system.

Don't allow teams from the same conference to play in the at-large game.

This has the advantage of
a) preserving classic bowl ties
b) preserving the meaning of every game in CFB
c) allows for this stupid power ranking bullshit every year that people seem to love, although I think it's FS
d) allows for the shit challengers from G5 to get proper fucked, but have a great story to get there.
e) add intrigue and fun as we don't know how many at-large teams will be selected.

First round (J1)

Rose: B1G vs. Pac-12
Orange: ACC vs. Big XII
Sugar: SEC vs. AL3
Fiesta: AL1 vs. AL2

Second round (J8)

Peach & Cotton with the same rules as now, committee ranks, highest seeds play closest to home.

Third round (J15)

Rotate locations on a bid process like the Superp Owl... or whatever. Possibly it should be played the week between the divisional championships and the Superb Owl.

Rose: Ohio State vs. Oregon
Orange: FSU vs. Baylor
Sugar: Bama vs. Michigan State
Fiesta: TCU vs. Mississippi State

Rose: Michigan State vs. Stanford
Orange: Clemson vs. Oklahoma
Sugar: Bama vs. Ohio State
Fiesta: Iowa vs. Notre Dame

Rose: Penn State vs. UW
Sugar: Bama vs. Michigan
Fiesta: Ohio State vs. Western Michigan

Rose: Ohio State vs. USC
Sugar: UGA vs. UCF
Fiesta: Bama vs. Wisconsin

AND OTHER YEARS WE ALL CARE ABOUT:

Rose: Purdue vs. UW
Orange: Miami vs. Oklahoma
Sugar: Florida vs. Va Tech
Fiesta: FSU vs. Oregon State

Rose: Michigan vs. UW
Orange: Miami vs. A&M
Sugar: Florida vs. Iowa
Fiesta: FSU vs. Penn State

Orange: Boston College vs. Oklahoma
Sugar: Florida vs. BYU
Fiesta: Washington vs. Nebraska

Comments

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    I thought I knew you.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,967 Founders Club
    Fuck 4 or 8. They both suck a BFC. Either go back to the old ways (not an option) or full on FCS style 16 team play-off. I want my home playoff game in December in Husky Stadium damn it!
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

Fuck 4 or 8. They both suck a BFC. Either go back to the old ways (not an option) or full on FCS style 16 team play-off. I want my home playoff game in December in Husky Stadium damn it!

Why is that superior to this system? Other than getting rid of the bowls and totally devaluing the regular season - what does it accomplish?

Why is that superior to this system? Other than getting rid of the bowls and totally devaluing the regular season - what does it accomplish?
    For starters it would lead to 15 post season games that all matter AND that I would want to watch on TV. This is a hell of lot more than we can say about the current model. The current bowl system is already so devalued, part of me want to just say fuck it an go NFL style. I know GA/OU or PSU/USC made for great TV, but those weren't true GDOTA Bowl Game. Regular season still matters a shit ton because seeding (i.e., home field advantage is all important). Win your conference and you are guaranteed a top 5 seed.

For starters it would lead to 15 post season games that all matter AND that I would want to watch on TV. This is a hell of lot more than we can say about the current model. The current bowl system is already so devalued, part of me want to just say fuck it an go NFL style. I know GA/OU or PSU/USC made for great TV, but those weren't true GDOTA Bowl Game. Regular season still matters a shit ton because seeding (i.e., home field advantage is all important). Win your conference and you are guaranteed a top 5 seed.

Jesus fucking Christ.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    Keeping the classic bowl tie-ins for the first round is fucking stupid. The SEC would always get to avoid the conference winner from another P5, and there would be plenty of years where the #1 and #2 team would face off in the first round. Also, the G5 doesn't deserve shit just for going undefeated. They get one autobid, and the rest can fight for one of the two at-large spots if they're worthy enough.

Other than that, I agree. 8 is the obvious next step.

Why is it so hard?

Here are the three simple qualifications:

1. Win your P5 conference.
    2. G5 teams that go undefeated are auto-bids (if there are more than three than just use the fucking committee to rank).
    3. Fill the rest with at-larges from the current committee system.

Don't allow teams from the same conference to play in the at-large game.

This has the advantage of
    a) preserving classic bowl ties
    b) preserving the meaning of every game in CFB
    c) allows for this stupid power ranking bullshit every year that people seem to love, although I think it's FS
    d) allows for the shit challengers from G5 to get proper fucked, but have a great story to get there.
    e) add intrigue and fun as we don't know how many at-large teams will be selected.

First round (J1)

Rose: B1G vs. Pac-12
    Orange: ACC vs. Big XII
    Sugar: SEC vs. AL3
    Fiesta: AL1 vs. AL2

Second round (J8)

Peach & Cotton with the same rules as now, committee ranks, highest seeds play closest to home.

Third round (J15)

Rotate locations on a bid process like the Superp Owl... or whatever. Possibly it should be played the week between the divisional championships and the Superb Owl.

Rose: Ohio State vs. Oregon
    Orange: FSU vs. Baylor
    Sugar: Bama vs. Michigan State
    Fiesta: TCU vs. Mississippi State

Rose: Michigan State vs. Stanford
    Sugar: Bama vs. Ohio State
    Fiesta: Iowa vs. Notre Dame

Rose: Penn State vs. UW
    Sugar: Bama vs. Michigan
    Fiesta: Ohio State vs. Western Michigan

Sugar: UGA vs. UCF
    Fiesta: Bama vs. Wisconsin

AND OTHER YEARS WE ALL CARE ABOUT:

Rose: Purdue vs. UW
    Orange: Miami vs. Oklahoma
    Sugar: Florida vs. Va Tech
    Fiesta: FSU vs. Oregon State

Rose: Michigan vs. UW
    Orange: Miami vs. A&M
    Sugar: Florida vs. Iowa
    Fiesta: FSU vs. Penn State

Orange: Boston College vs. Oklahoma
    Sugar: Florida vs. BYU
    Fiesta: Washington vs. Nebraska

I CAME HERE FOR AN ALL CAPS POAST DENNIS AND YOU FUCKING DIDNT DELIVER AS USUAL GOD BLESS
    GET YOUR MIND RIGHT GOD BLESS EVERYONE!!!

Keeping the classic bowl tie-ins for the first round is fucking stupid. The SEC would always get to avoid the conference winner from another P5, and there would be plenty of years where the #1 and #2 team would face off in the first round. Also, the G5 doesn't deserve shit just for going undefeated. They get one autobid, and the rest can fight for one of the two at-large spots if they're worthy enough.

Other than that, I agree. 8 is the obvious next step.

Killing the bowl tie ins is FS.

Everyone acts like this is some fucking competition to show who the best team is. Guess what? It's not. It's just theater.

The bowl tie-ins is what makes college football unique. A lot of people outing themselves as closet NFL fans here.

Fuck the NFL.

Also - In the past 10 years there has only been one occasion where there have been two undefeated G5s. So it's not something we'd really need to plan against.

Also, making undefeateds an auto-bid strengthens the regular season.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    edited January 2018
    I assure you Dennis that in an NFL hating competition, I can hold my own with anyone here. And there's a hell of a lot more than just(now diminished) Bowls which make CF a far better product than the NFL:

For example:
    - Better tailgates
    - Better Fans
    - Better pageantry
    - Better (non generic) stadiums
    - More exciting games and varying schemes
    - TBSing
    - Try hard kids of all population groups playing for the love of the game and a free education

I can go on and on.