Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Scott Woodward: will he be a Stone Cold Savage or a wilting flower?

1235»

Comments

• HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,686 Standard Supporter
    I don't know much about futbol but Tequilla is pretty good when it comes to HUSKY FOOTBALL. He also is sick of Sloppy Seven Win Steve's bait and switch tactics.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    edited November 2013

If we finish 4-5, Woodward is full of shit because he was pretty clear in a Seattle Times chat that he expected improvements. He was asked about 7-6 and 5-4, and said he would not give a win total, but he expected more wins. Of course, he will have bullshit excuses like tough road schedule, banged up Price, incremental progress in other areas, stability, etc. I think we are fucked.

Here are his actual quotes from that August 14 interview:

-----

Question: Scott, have you spent any time watching practices? If so, do you honestly think we look better than last year?

Answer: I do. I have high expectations, both objectively and subjectively, and I hope the final result meets our expectations.

Question: You say that you hope the final result meets your expectations in terms of the football program's success this year. What are those expectations? Do you have a win total in mind?

Answer: If I knew the answer to that, I'd be in Las Vegas, not here.

We expect to progress, obviously better than the 7-6 mark.

-----

That last line should be telling, right? "Obviously better" should mean what we all hope it means, yet I have this sinking feeling that Woodward is a doog at heart and will play it safe, barring a complete collapse. Silly us for taking him at face value.
    I agree with you...I am getting the sense that Woodward is a Doog with a capital D rather than a Savage DAWG
    Gladstone said:

If we finish 4-5, Woodward is full of shit because he was pretty clear in a Seattle Times chat that he expected improvements. He was asked about 7-6 and 5-4, and said he would not give a win total, but he expected more wins. Of course, he will have bullshit excuses like tough road schedule, banged up Price, incremental progress in other areas, stability, etc. I think we are fucked.

-----

Question: Scott, have you spent any time watching practices? If so, do you honestly think we look better than last year?

Answer: I do. I have high expectations, both objectively and subjectively, and I hope the final result meets our expectations.

Question: You say that you hope the final result meets your expectations in terms of the football program's success this year. What are those expectations? Do you have a win total in mind?

-----

That last line should be telling, right? "Obviously better" should mean what we all hope it means, yet I have this sinking feeling that Woodward is a doog at heart and will play it safe, barring a complete collapse. Silly us for taking him at face value.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    HFNY said:

So you are saying that Woodward talking about Oregon's dumpster academics was revealing in the sense that as long as we go to a bowl game, he will keep Sarkisian no matter what? And if that's true, there's no sense in debating Sarkisian and Woodward anymore?

Tailgater said:

HFNY said:

I just don't think it's good enough to complain but to channel that frustration / energy towards getting RESULTS.

Does anyone have any better ideas than mine? Surely some of you are more creative / intelligent than me, right?

Here's something to consider that's more intellegent than your strength-of-schedule once removed performance analysis:

Would Sarkisian as a former offensive coordinator with no previous head coaching experience have done better replacing Mike Bellotti at Oregon than he has done in replacing Tyrone Willingham at UW? Think of it as the Woody Factor as in Do It the Oregon Way or if you prefer,..... Oregon's Academics Are Embarrassing.

If this is confusing for you, the point I'm trying to make is that when you know something about major college football, silly questions such as you've posted here won't be necessary for forming a conclusion about whether or not Sark is the head football coach we need and deserve.
    Sorry I'm so late responding, but yah,...... you got it about right. By his public comments, especially the two utterly stupid statements he made about doing it the Oregon Way and embarrassing quality of Oregon academics, Woodward has from the beginning demonstrated to us why he is not suited to be the athletic director we need and deserve. Therefore, and I believe this is the most important question, why should we believe that Woodward can ever be or become the Joe Kearney or Mike Lude kind of football intelligent AD we must have to search for and hire the head coach and staff Husky Football needs and deserves. If this logic is too difficult or convoluted to understand, think about the asshole who decided Scott Woodward should become our AD in the first place. There's an overriding fear in college football that success on the gridiron and on the scoreboard must come at the expense of a university's academic credibility and the foremost advocate of such fear is the asshole who decided Scott Woodward must be our AD.

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,842 Founders Club
    edited November 2013
    When asked about his coaching search in 2008, Woodward also said that Husky fans appreciate a defensive stop on 3rd down more than scoring touchdowns, and then he went out and hired an unproven offensive coordinator as his head coach. So what he says in an interview like that doesn't mean much and can't be taken at face value.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    DJ,

Not picking a bone with you on this b/c I agree with your comments that what Woody has said publicly you can't take at face value.

It's the problem with most high ranking officials ... just because they say something publicly doesn't mean that they do what they say.

What is interesting though is that Woody made a comment that reflects what the fan base really does enjoy ... the question is why did he deviate from that?
  • unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    edited November 2013
    What is interesting though is that Woody made a comment that reflects what the fan base really does enjoy ... the question is why did he deviate from that?

Because he's retarded, just like your avatar y los deportes de fútbol
  • Gladstone said:

-----

-----

It's going to be a shame when UW finishes 7-6 that not one media member will bring that quote up to Pool Boy and make him explain himself when he retains Sark.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295

When asked about his coaching search in 2008, Woodward also said that Husky fans appreciate a defensive stop on 3rd down more than scoring touchdowns, and then he went out and hired an unproven offensive coordinator as his head coach. So what he says in an interview like that doesn't mean much and can't be taken at face value.

Exactly. Pool boy is a politician. He'll go with public opinion on Sark. He won't fire Sark unless public opinion supports it.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Exactly. Pool boy is a politician. He'll go with public opinion on Sark. He won't fire Sark unless public opinion supports it.
    I think we have a better shot at the Boosters insisting on Sark getting fired. Sark still has a lot of supporters from the general public.
    Ok so how do we get the boosters on board and is there a way we can get dozens of them in a meeting, especially if @ UCLA goes the way we think it will based off of SSWS' Pac-12 record over nearly 5 seasons?