Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Scott Woodward: will he be a Stone Cold Savage or a wilting flower?

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    I attend one Sounders game a year - normally their last home game when they fall flat on their faces. If I watch 1/3 of their games during the year, that's probably the high end of things.

I definitely would never write the amount about Minor League Soccer (see what I did there) that HH did ...

HOWEVER, one thing I'd disagree with is the bringing in of Dempsey. Both Dempsey and Johnson have shown that they can excel at the national team level - yes? Dempsey generally plays either forward or attacking midfield on the national team level (if we play w/ 5 midfielders) and Johnson tends to play out wide. For the Sounders, Sigi has Johnson play forward and Dempsey in midfield ... he's really not playing either in their positions of strength.
  • I like that with the Sounders you can vote out the GM every four years. I would LOVE if UW could vote out their A.D. or if the Mariners could vote out their GM every four years.

If the guy is a loser then the fans will get his fucking ass out. That's how it should be.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,686 Standard Supporter
    I really want to believe what you say is true but the word I've been getting (beyond the DM.com guys) is that Woodward will give him an unearned 6th year unless the wheels fall off (which would start with losing to Colorado at home).

Have you heard 2nd or 3rd, or whatever hand that Woodward will actually can him unless he finishes 4-0 (or even 3-1)???

HFNY said:

If Sarkisian finishes out the regular season 2-2 and then goes 7-5 with a conference record of 4-5 in his 5th season, will Woodward be a Stone Cold Savage and pay Sarkisian to go away? Or will he refuse to admit Sarkisian wasn't the best hire, dig in to cover his own ass, and give him an unearned 6th season?

So would our best win be against Arizona? Does a head-coach deserve to come back for a 6th season when the entire roster is his, he has a RS-SR at QB, and enjoyed 17 returning starters?

And if Woodward doesn't do what is in OUR (Hardcore Husky Fans) interests, then what do we do? Do we get rid of him too?

Yes
    No
    Yes
    No
    Fire Him
    See Thad the Fag Turner

Sark getting fired is NOT Woodward failing. Sark was Woodward's 37th choice. Sark got us out of a hole. "Thanks Sark, you got paid VERY WELL for 5 years." "Don't let the door hit you in the ass."

This idea that Woodward would be embarrassed to fire Sark is complete Bull Shit. Steinbrenner fired every manager he ever hired, except the last one. It's no big fucking deal. Nobody expected Sark to be the next Don James, and he isn't.

The ubers know that. They run businesses. They've fired plenty of people that they hired. Do they resign after? LMAO

The Regents know it too. Did the Regents resign after they fired McCormick? They hired him didn't they?

Five years ago, Woodward couldn't hire shit. Now he can trade up. Shit, just blame Emmert. Say that Emmert hired Sark and fire his ass. Or blame George Bush. That still works after 5 years doesn't it?

What's the big fucking deal?

Now go tell Fatters that he's a giant fat fuck, and tell Kim he's a queer, so they throw your ass out of Doog Town.
    HFNY,

Let's see how it all plays out ...

If he finishes 2-2 and the 2 losses are pitiful efforts, then I would tend to think that Pool Boy will start feeling a little more pressure from some pissed off fans who are only excited in the Vegas part of the Vegas Bowl Part Deaux experience.
    I know, I know...it will play out no matter what a peon like me thinks will happen. It's just that I was mostly on-board with Sarkisian until the Debacle In The Desert II curb-stomping so after that, it's hard to imagine Sloppy Seven Win Steve winning either game on the road and Leach very well could out-coach him in the AC again.

I'm still not convinced Woodward realizes how much damage he would do in keeping Sarkisian for a 6th year if he goes 2-2 the rest of the way (or even 3-1 and then loses a bowl game). Even going 3-1 to close out the season would leave him with a conference record of 5-4.....the same conference record he's had the last 3 seasons. It's hard not to imagine moderate fans throwing in the towel on their tickets and the Football Program losing millions of dollars in ticket sales for 2014, especially considering the 4 OOC games of 2014 mostly suck and are lay-ups. If a season ticket holder is on the fence (or considering coming back) and we keep SSWS, will they really pony up $1,000 to $2,000 for two season seats to see the Huskies play Eastern Washington, Georgia State, and Hawaii? Illinois would be a decent game but I have to believe we'd be favored by at least 2 TDs even if I was coaching the team!
  • I can't see Sark getting fired at 7-5 if the two losses are to UCLA and Oregon State.

Remember Price is banged up and Kasen is out for the season. Sark will start using the injury card very soon.

"Minus the ASU game we were on our way to a special season then injuries kind of derailed the season. It's pretty unfortunate that happened because I felt we were a better team than our record showed". -Future Sark quote at the end of the year.
    That's what would be so pathetic and what I'd argue, terrible for the financial health of the Athletic Department considering the strong likelihood of some season ticket holders getting fed up and throwing in the towel. That's not even considering lost concession sales, lost merchandise sales, lost parking revenues, lost advertising dollars, possibly less corporate sponsorships, etc.

Also, how do you quantify the possibility of losing out on new season ticket holders? If the Athletic Department showed it was serious about competing by getting a new coach with a proven record of success (rather than just talking a good game), I imagine some people in the area would get serious too by buying season tickets again (or for the first time).

I can't see Sark getting fired at 7-5 if the two losses are to UCLA and Oregon State.

Remember Price is banged up and Kasen is out for the season. Sark will start using the injury card very soon.

"Minus the ASU game we were on our way to a special season then injuries kind of derailed the season. It's pretty unfortunate that happened because I felt we were a better team than our record showed". -Future Sark quote at the end of the year.

• We had over 60,000 fans show up to the last game. Eklund is right to some degree that we are the vast minority.

The majority of our fans have learned absolutely nothing from the last 0-12. NOTHING!

Only way these fans turn on Sark is if he loses to Colorado or WSU at home. Possibly if he is plunger raped to some awful MWC team in the shit bowl game that nobody gives a fuck about.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Right now, I would be very surprised if Sark is not back. That said, blowout losses can change things pretty quickly, as could an Apple Cup loss. I think the smart money is on Sark getting a 6th year.
  • RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    If Sark meets BSU in a bowl and looses, it will be interesting to hear all the Doogs who put the Holiday Bowl on a pedestal, talk about how you cannot expect a team to get up for playing a team in a bowl that it had already defeated in the regular season.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,107 Founders Club
    "That was then, this is now" Barbra Hedges after firing Lambo after UW was embarrassed by Air Force in a bowl.
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,967
    Tequilla said:

I attend one Sounders game a year - normally their last home game when they fall flat on their faces. If I watch 1/3 of their games during the year, that's probably the high end of things.

I definitely would never write the amount about Minor League Soccer (see what I did there) that HH did ...

HOWEVER, one thing I'd disagree with is the bringing in of Dempsey. Both Dempsey and Johnson have shown that they can excel at the national team level - yes? Dempsey generally plays either forward or attacking midfield on the national team level (if we play w/ 5 midfielders) and Johnson tends to play out wide. For the Sounders, Sigi has Johnson play forward and Dempsey in midfield ... he's really not playing either in their positions of strength.

Holy fuck...you basically admit you don't pay attention and then give me a lecture on how they should be playing? Can't beat knowing everything I guess...

As an FYI...Martins is their best center forward, and Johnson is horrible as a winger. He's a speed forward and that's about it.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,293 Founders Club

I can't see Sark getting fired at 7-5 if the two losses are to UCLA and Oregon State.

That routine has been over played, it's tired and no longer has legs. Before the season started, the national media was running with the frustration of three consecutive seven win seasons at Washington. This was supposed to be the season they get over that hump and start challenging for conference titles. @Stanford nearly supported that idea. vs Oregon made it clear that they're not there yet .... in year 5. @ASU should have been the death knell. That game showed, once again, how glaringly bad the coaching really is.

I don't see him surviving another seven win season. The disappointment and pressure will be coming from all sides if they finish with a fourth consecutive seven win season. IMO the real problem is if they somehow win eight or more games. At that point it will come down to how much pressure the high value donors apply to Woody to get serious about winning titles (just as they did to Hedges over Lambo). If they are content as a group with the way the team finishes, get ready for Sark v6.0. If not, get ready for a new coach, and a whole lot of angst over Woody's selection process.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208

We had over 60,000 fans show up to the last game. Eklund is right to some degree that we are the vast minority.

The majority of our fans have learned absolutely nothing from the last 0-12. NOTHING!

Only way these fans turn on Sark is if he loses to Colorado or WSU at home. Possibly if he is plunger raped to some awful MWC team in the shit bowl game that nobody gives a fuck about.

60,000 fans did not show up to the last game. I think you meant to say 60,000 tickets were distributed.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    Tequilla said:

HFNY,

If he finishes 2-2 and the 2 losses are pitiful efforts, then I would tend to think that Pool Boy will start feeling a little more pressure from some pissed off fans who are only excited in the Vegas part of the Vegas Bowl Part Deaux experience.

You speak as if the government bureaucrat cares what the public thinks.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652

We had over 60,000 fans show up to the last game. Eklund is right to some degree that we are the vast minority.

This is why I won't be rooting for 0-13 next year. The morons who learned nothing from 0-12 won't learn a thing from 0-13 either.

HH,

I watch the Sounders when they are playing against good teams - I avoid the shit MLS games like I'd avoid a Lemon Party.

I agree with you that Johnson's best attribute is his speed - which is lost when you have him playing center forward. He needs to find a way to play in space and attack people to get goals. In my mind, easiest way to do that is to get him out a little bit wider.
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,967
    edited November 2013
    Tequilla said:

HH,

I watch the Sounders when they are playing against good teams - I avoid the shit MLS games like I'd avoid a Lemon Party.

I agree with you that Johnson's best attribute is his speed - which is lost when you have him playing center forward. He needs to find a way to play in space and attack people to get goals. In my mind, easiest way to do that is to get him out a little bit wider.

EJ had horrible ball skills, is a crappy passer, and no defensive skills which makes him a horrible option as an outside half. His best position is as a 2nd forward playing through off a target forward...only problem is, Dempsey's best position is as a withdrawn forward roaming off of a target forward. Same with Neagle. They all play the same position in very different ways (also not helping team chemistry...). So in a 4-4-2 formation you've got 3 guys that are good at being the 2nd forward and 1 injured guy (Martins) that is the best target forward option...which leads me back to my point that bringing in Dempsey was dumb.

And just wait to see how dumb it will be in 3 years when he's a shadow of his current self getting paid $3+MM...
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652

Tequilla said:

HH,

EJ had horrible ball skills, is a crappy passer, and no defensive skills which makes him a horrible option as an outside half. His best position is as a 2nd forward playing through off a target forward...only problem is, Dempsey's best position is as a withdrawn forward roaming off of a target forward. Same with Neagle. They all play the same position in very different ways (also not helping team chemistry...). So in a 4-4-2 formation you've got 3 guys that are good at being the 2nd forward and 1 injured guy (Martins) that is the best target forward option...which leads me back to my point that bringing in Dempsey was dumb.

And just wait to see how dumb it will be in 3 years when he's a shadow of his current self getting paid $3+MM...
    have fun swapping jizz with mello, scarftard

nttawwt
    That is what is so alarming to me (Woodward's political background)...the more I read up on him and hear 2nd/3rd hand what he is thinking, the less I believe in him either.

http://www.gohuskies.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208229301

Besides, if our athletic department pulls in $65 million (or more now with the new stadium), how come paying Sarkisian to go away (max of $3.9 million) would be such a big deal? That's just 6% of all revenues and Football is by far the biggest revenue generator for the Athletic Department!

Tequilla said:

HFNY,

You speak as if the government bureaucrat cares what the public thinks.