Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Gee Scott Jr, 4* 2020 WR, Bellevue (Eastside Catholic), WA (Offered 6/19)

Comments

• Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,101
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

Gee Scott: I don't want my son to face consequences for my opinions.
    Also Gee Scott: I'm going to name him Gee Scott Jr.

You’re crossing lines adding my son to this. A SERIOUS LINE!! My opinions are my opinions. DO NOT EVER INVOLVE MY SON!!!!

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    DDY and I had a solid discussion on the topic of UW’s perception amongst the AA community in Seattle and the angles to it are really interesting when you think about it

The perception is that UW is elitist and out of touch ...

UW IS ELITIST ... and guess what, THEY SHOULD BE given the quality of the University, it’s standing, etc. As an alum, you should want UW to have a high standing because it has implications on your perceived quality ... the whole guilty by association thing. It’s also why we look down at Wazzu and Oregon because they are everything that we aren’t (small bs big town, strong academics vs piss poor, party vs commuter schools, etc)

For those that don’t identify with UW, UW feels as distant to them as Stanford or the Ivy League. It’s not fast vs slow strategy per se, but it’s just different perceptions, etc

The beauty of Pete and OKGs is that it perfectly aligns to what UW is. We’re essentially recruiting individuals that will thrive at UW.

The challenge that Pete will face going forward is how to incorporate guys that don’t look like the cookie cutter OKG but have the elite talent needed to win. And in saying this, that’s not just from a player perspective but what comes with them from a family perspective.

From the sounds of it if you buy the rumors, it sounds like Jr understands what is expected at UW and is aggressively pursuing an offer. You could argue that going to UW may unlock even more potential in Jr as he merged the fast and slow strategy (always best when you combine the best elements of both). But Sr is very clearly fast strategy as fuck and has haterade in his blood. Can Pete and those that help to mitigate these types of situations get Sr to calm down enough for Jr to earn his coveted offer? Or does Sr continue to project and try to live his life through his son like many fathers can fall into a trap of doing?

As with all of this stuff, go too far in one direction and you open yourself up as UW has very likely done at a pretty decent level. On the other, it’s also a strategy that has resulted in strong performance both on/off the field. It’s all about finding that balance and constantly working on strengthening your weakness while highlighting and cultivating its strengths.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

It’s funny that Grinolds’ initial criticism of Pete’s ability to recruit “guys with an edge” was actually spot on.

Or just an “edge” player. S/O to @Passion ..., where ya at my edge loving negha!!!
  • Options
    SarkFanSixtyNineSarkFanSixtyNine Member Posts: 362
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    whose he talking about i am enthralled by where hes going with this

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Who gives a living shit whether he is nice or mean?

When I was his age I was in jail for robbing people, selling drugs and other general thuggery. I was as much of an asshole as you can imagine.

Still am, in fact.

Let's fucking offer this kid.

I would still offer 17 year old Aaron Hernandez. So what he needed 1 or 6 body bags while at Florida
    Didn't commit homicide until after college. Seems legit to me!
    Dude you don’t just start killing people execution style, he had practice
    I CARE ABOUT THE GAMES. LET'S WIN THE GAMES.

I pick my friends based on whether they are likely to kill people over stupid bullshit or not. Football players I care about how they play football.
    Yup, but it is a bonus when they kill too
    Are you new here? Goes without saying.
    Knew hear*
    *gnu here
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Eklund, Huffmann, who else is there?
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,112
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Damone’s drunk father in law on the couch
  • Options
    ThebourbinatorThebourbinator Member Posts: 664
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Woof said:

Just curious, but is the sentiment the same for the hoops program?

Lots of very successful local African Americans going through the program who seem to be strong supporters of UW.

It seems like Pete's pursuit/fondness for slow strategy white-ish kids has come at the expense of the Heir/Garfield types, or has at least been interpreted that way.

I thought our shooty hoops street cred got pretty fucked when we fired Romar and hired a whitey
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

@CokeGreaterThanPepsi , @Dennis_DeYoung
    Fuck those guys!
    Dennis = Yes

Pepsi = Craves It

True?
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Tequilla said:

DDY and I had a solid discussion on the topic of UW’s perception amongst the AA community in Seattle and the angles to it are really interesting when you think about it

The perception is that UW is elitist and out of touch ...

UW IS ELITIST ... and guess what, THEY SHOULD BE given the quality of the University, it’s standing, etc. As an alum, you should want UW to have a high standing because it has implications on your perceived quality ... the whole guilty by association thing. It’s also why we look down at Wazzu and Oregon because they are everything that we aren’t (small bs big town, strong academics vs piss poor, party vs commuter schools, etc)

For those that don’t identify with UW, UW feels as distant to them as Stanford or the Ivy League. It’s not fast vs slow strategy per se, but it’s just different perceptions, etc

The beauty of Pete and OKGs is that it perfectly aligns to what UW is. We’re essentially recruiting individuals that will thrive at UW.

The challenge that Pete will face going forward is how to incorporate guys that don’t look like the cookie cutter OKG but have the elite talent needed to win. And in saying this, that’s not just from a player perspective but what comes with them from a family perspective.

From the sounds of it if you buy the rumors, it sounds like Jr understands what is expected at UW and is aggressively pursuing an offer. You could argue that going to UW may unlock even more potential in Jr as he merged the fast and slow strategy (always best when you combine the best elements of both). But Sr is very clearly fast strategy as fuck and has haterade in his blood. Can Pete and those that help to mitigate these types of situations get Sr to calm down enough for Jr to earn his coveted offer? Or does Sr continue to project and try to live his life through his son like many fathers can fall into a trap of doing?

As with all of this stuff, go too far in one direction and you open yourself up as UW has very likely done at a pretty decent level. On the other, it’s also a strategy that has resulted in strong performance both on/off the field. It’s all about finding that balance and constantly working on strengthening your weakness while highlighting and cultivating its strengths.

So in Seattle, what's the AA university?
    Ain't like there is some historically black college there. On the East Coast if the elitist, prestigious University won't kiss your ass, you have plenty of options. May not be D1 but you can play football on scholarship with the brothas.

Where the fuck do you go in Seattle for that?

And if Georgetown and Villanova, two schools which believe they are the elitist of the elite, can go get whatever hoops players they want successfully, Washington football can do the same.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,474
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2018
    I'm not in the know with the local Seattle recruiting scene like some of you, but I have a very hard time believing Petersen wouldn't offer a kid because his dad is a psycho IF the kid has indeed earned it and is receptive to the message the program is preaching.

That would be seriously fucked up and sheepish to not give a life changing offer because of an overbearing family member.

Pete and staff should relish those opportunities.
  • Options
    HuskyClawsHuskyClaws Member Posts: 1,170
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Doogles said:

I'm not in the know with the local Seattle recruiting scene like some of you, but I have a very hard time believing Petersen wouldn't offer a kid because his dad is a psycho IF the kid has indeed earned it and is receptive to the message the program is preaching.

That would be seriously fucked up and sheepish to not give a life changing offer because of an overbearing family member.

Pete and staff should relish those opportunities.

One of the things that Coach Pete hates the most is outside distractions. One of the top causes of outside distractions is the media. Putting those two things together and Gee Scott, Sr probably gives Coach Pete nightmares. I'm sure he has had a situation similar to this in his past that he will be leaning on. In my opinion, unless Gee Scott, Jr gets a new dad this weekend, he isn't getting offered this weekend. We are already fully aware of his talent. That won't be changing at the camp today.