Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

JONATHAN SMITH IS BEAVERS HEAD COACH!!!!

Comments

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    He's a big boy he got hired to be Matt Ryan's QB coach for a reason.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

He's a big boy he got hired to be Matt Ryan's QB coach for a reason.

I like to refer to him as "Matty Ice".
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Mosster47 said:

Please God, hire Slingblade.

UW will be even more pass happy and a bunch of pussies.

I think Pete has upgraded us when he's made new hires.
    Do you think Malloe is an upgrade over Jeff Choate?
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,294
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Is Babushka going to roam the sidelines to get FREE PUB!! For Oregon State at the Alamo Bowl?
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

dnc said:

tvoie said:

Is it wrong that I want a stud recruiter first and foremost?

yes

Coordinators job is to coach first, recruit second.
    Correct answer is abundance.
    Disagree.

Kwat can't recruit for shit and I hope he never leaves
    We gotz to get kawasaki help in recruiting, but coaching wise he is a fucking demigod
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Passion said:

Mosster47 said:

I think Pete has upgraded us when he's made new hires.
    Do you think Malloe is an upgrade over Jeff Choate?
    mallo is a good coach, just suc at recruiting. Vita and Greg and all the young DT pups are improving.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

dnc said:

dnc said:

tvoie said:

yes

Offensively, it seems to me like recruiting can be good with or without a great recruiter at OC. But an offense can't be great without a a great OC.
    Bingo.

Jonathan Smith was our OC/QB coach and we have Sirmon, BRBYO, and Morris coming in within 12 months of each other.

You can compensate for an OC who can't recruit. You can't compensate for an OC who can't coach.

Obviously I'd love for him to be great at both but most of the best coordinators aren't great recruiters. I want a great coordinator.
    I agree with this, the reason I want Bush is because I think he is a coaching star in the making. I would be willing to gamble on him being a good OC too, let alone a good recruiter. The way he came in and elevated our WR play was incredible. I just have a hunch that he is a great fucking coach.

I understand there are other potential hires out there that would be good too, but I love my bush.
    IF Bush comes here ... then obviously we will be facing a situation where in 3-5 years he’ll be moving on.

You don’t not hire him because of that, but it is a consideration.

The big negative to Hamden is that he has zero experience calling a game. I would expect growing pains for him if hired as OC.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

tvoie said:

yes

Offensively, it seems to me like recruiting can be good with or without a great recruiter at OC. But an offense can't be great without a a great OC.
    Bingo.

Jonathan Smith was our OC/QB coach and we have Sirmon, BRBYO, and Morris coming in within 12 months of each other.

You can compensate for an OC who can't recruit. You can't compensate for an OC who can't coach.

Obviously I'd love for him to be great at both but most of the best coordinators aren't great recruiters. I want a great coordinator.
    I agree with this, the reason I want Bush is because I think he is a coaching star in the making. I would be willing to gamble on him being a good OC too, let alone a good recruiter. The way he came in and elevated our WR play was incredible. I just have a hunch that he is a great fucking coach.

I understand there are other potential hires out there that would be good too, but I love my bush.
    IF Bush comes here ... then obviously we will be facing a situation where in 3-5 years he’ll be moving on.

You don’t not hire him because of that, but it is a consideration.

The big negative to Hamden is that he has zero experience calling a game. I would expect growing pains for him if hired as OC.
  • Options

Mosster47 said:

Any time a fanbase is telling you to hire their former coach, you can take that as gospel that you don't want them.

I want Bush. Or fucking Mike Bloomgren for fuck's sake. I don't know. I think Pete has upgraded us when he's made new hires and this one should be easy for him to bring Bush back.

Great recruiter, great coach. Exactly what we need.
    Usually I agree with this sentiment but Oregon’s regression was far more defensive driven than offensive ...

Not saying that Helfrich is my #1 choice, but judging him as a HC for an OC role isn’t necessarily 100% apples to oranges
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited November 2017
    Tequilla said:

Mosster47 said:

Any time a fanbase is telling you to hire their former coach, you can take that as gospel that you don't want them.

I want Bush. Or fucking Mike Bloomgren for fuck's sake. I don't know. I think Pete has upgraded us when he's made new hires and this one should be easy for him to bring Bush back.

Usually I agree with this sentiment but Oregon’s regression was far more defensive driven than offensive ...

Not saying that Helfrich is my #1 choice, but judging him as a HC for an OC role isn’t necessarily 100% apples to oranges
    Dakota Prukop, Jake Rodrigues, Seth Green, and Travis Jonsen say "hi"

Yeah, he signed Herbert, as a throw-away near walk-on but sure
  • Options
    AZDuck said:

Tequilla said:

Mosster47 said:

Dakota Prukop, Jake Rodrigues, Seth Green, and Travis Jonsen say "hi"

Yeah, he signed Herbert, as a throw-away near walk-on but sure
    Herbert was far from a throwaway ... Mariota was clearly special ...

Again, not saying that I’m advocating hiring Helfrich ... just saying that IMO the balance of negativity comes from his HC performance and the erosion of their defense
  • Options
    rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

I'm in school and my sweatpants have risen embarrasingly in amount of urine saturation.

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    whuggy said:

ntxduck said:

Why would you doogs want Helfrich anywhere near your program? Dude is a shitty AF OC, as well (and no, he was never really OC at Oregon).

I agree, ftg.
    Never got that either. In his hiring presser at Oregon, he said he was going to throw the ball more. Not what the butthuffers here are looking for.
    What? He's much more run oriented than Petersen's
    offense with a much more creative passing element.
    You folks need to put away the purple glasses.
    Oregon's offense has been far superior to ours over
    the last decade and he was in the room for that.
    He’s had better quarterbacks