Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Kelee Ringo, 5* 2020 DB, Scottsdale (Saguaro), AZ (Offered 12/7/17)

Comments

• Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2019
    Currently, our branding is development and eventual nfl dollars... But that really only appeals to slow strategy types until we get more track record in the next few years starting with Rapp and Murphy et al.

You're already hearing more about this from recruits... But the branding is still soft...
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,825
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hopefully peterman will continue to let lake get “edgy” and then Jr helps with the O. Shouldn’t bush be swagging a little? He seems to have a little passion.
  • Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Holy crap Texas has had a ton of top recruits. I tried to see how both the UW and Texas fared turning their better recruits into NFL prospects. I looked at 247's little list of best recruits throughout the years for each school. The list goes to 25 players. Looked at ours. Did fairly well, though there were a lot of misses at QBs and a few transfers. Tried to compare Texas's 25 best, but then I noticed their 25th-best recruit was rated a .9875 by 247. TWENTY-FIVE guys ranked .9875 or above! We have had FOUR. So, small sample sizes apply.

Good news, I guess, is that of our four rated .9875 or above, only two actually played football for us, and both of those were 1st-round picks. So, 100%. (We also had Budda and ASJ and Lockner rated lower, but trying to stay with similar talent levels).

Of Texas's 25, 23 were out of school and drafted/draftable already (good news for us I suppose is that 6 of our 25 are currently at the UW). Of those 23, 11 were drafted. That doesn't sound great to me. I mean, every one of those 23 guys was a 5-star prospect. Not high 4-star, 5-star. And less than half even got drafted. 8 of the 11 were drafted in the first three rounds.

Short version: Every 5-star prospect that played for the UW in the last 15 years has been drafted in the 1st round. Only 13% of 5-star prospects at Texas in the last 15 years has been drafted in the 1st round. Only 47% of those 5-star prospects at Texas were even drafted at all.

Caveat: The numbers for UW are small. 2 guys. And both schools have new coaches.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

RealRhino said:

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Byron Murphy’s recruitment offers insight of what what’s important to a top-5 cornerback and his mother. From the Athletic

Byron’s mama : “When you walk in as a mother and you do all these official visits and meet all these coaches, a lot of them say the same thing, and it’s repetitive and kind of gets old. Who is the character? Who’s telling the truth here? Who cares about him? Who’s telling me anything I want to hear just to get them in the school? The difference between every coach I met and Coach Lake and Coach Petersen was so far off the charts. There was no confusion for me.”

Deep down, Murphy knew where he belonged, too, even as others worked to sway him until the moment he put pen to paper.

How close was he to staying home instead of playing for the Huskies?

“I signed for two schools,” Strickland said. “I had surgery and couldn’t go to his announcement. I told him, ‘You know what to do. God will tell you what to do.’ ”

Ultimately, Murphy’s relationship with Lake won out.

“I felt like he was the best coach on the field and off the field, him and Coach Pete,” Murphy said. “He’s one of the best DB coaches in the nation, I think, and having a head coach like Coach Pete being a good guy on and off the field … I kind of wanted to do something new, have a new experience, and I felt like that was the best place for me.”

In hindsight, Murphy’s decision to leave home marked the beginning of a transformation — from immature teenager to a development-minded adult — that continues to this day.

“It would have been a lot easier to go to Arizona State,” Mohns said. “When he really took a step back, I think he realized that getting out and getting away from some of the people around him and getting out of his comfort zone is what he really needed to do to grow up. Coach Petersen runs a true program. Coach Lake, I think, is the best in the country at developing defensive backs, and a good man and good role model. If he was going to be successful and have the opportunity to do what he’s getting ready to do, that was the place he needed to go.”

Does mama Ringo care about this though?
    Yep
    Then when does texass seem to be her fav? Good bagmen? Just not understanding this one.
    I'm sure everything about Texas says big time. That would influence me as a parent. I'm not sure with our marketing, our uniforms, our everything, that we give off the same vibe. DDY is right, our branding is weak as shit. Even as a Husky fan I see our presence as more mom 'n' pop, when what we should really be is the exclusive boutique firm that isn't the monolithic big presence, but the ninja fuckers that actually get results.
    Even our fucking fans think we are small time. It is shocking what fucking low self esteem we have as a fan base.

It’s shocking how little confidence we project in our marketing materials.

Our program motto might as well be, “we may not be very cool or good looking, but we have a good personality, drive a Subaru and will take you on weekly date nights at Olive Garden!”
    you have no idea the damage ty/sark did to your psyche
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    RealRhino said:

Holy crap Texas has had a ton of top recruits. I tried to see how both the UW and Texas fared turning their better recruits into NFL prospects. I looked at 247's little list of best recruits throughout the years for each school. The list goes to 25 players. Looked at ours. Did fairly well, though there were a lot of misses at QBs and a few transfers. Tried to compare Texas's 25 best, but then I noticed their 25th-best recruit was rated a .9875 by 247. TWENTY-FIVE guys ranked .9875 or above! We have had FOUR. So, small sample sizes apply.

Good news, I guess, is that of our four rated .9875 or above, only two actually played football for us, and both of those were 1st-round picks. So, 100%. (We also had Budda and ASJ and Lockner rated lower, but trying to stay with similar talent levels).

Of Texas's 25, 23 were out of school and drafted/draftable already (good news for us I suppose is that 6 of our 25 are currently at the UW). Of those 23, 11 were drafted. That doesn't sound great to me. I mean, every one of those 23 guys was a 5-star prospect. Not high 4-star, 5-star. And less than half even got drafted. 8 of the 11 were drafted in the first three rounds.

Short version: Every 5-star prospect that played for the UW in the last 15 years has been drafted in the 1st round. Only 13% of 5-star prospects at Texas in the last 15 years has been drafted in the 1st round. Only 47% of those 5-star prospects at Texas were even drafted at all.

Caveat: The numbers for UW are small. 2 guys. And both schools have new coaches.

Datadawg or redmondlonghorn or some other dawg posts some good shit on twitter about this exact thing. If I care that much I’d go find it and lost it here for you. Sorry.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Meek said:

Kelee is fucking good, but I think our chances with him are less than 20%.

Lake isn't Lambo - Kwat is Lambo. Or - to be fair to Kwat, Kwat is Solich, prolly - but you get my point.

Lake wants to be a HC and he should. I just don't want him to be a HC at USC or Oregon.

The reality is, USC makes a lot of sense for him...

I'm just hoping they cock up the hire and get Jeff Fisher or Jack Del Rio.

Being a HC is mostly about being a CEO. I don't have close enough knowledge to evaluate whether Jimmy is a good CEO or not. He's a fucking great position coach (though pretty much everyone looks like a great position coach under Pete) and he's a really good recruiter.

I'm not afraid of Cristobal's recruiting machine, though. Teams that recruit amazing are annoying because they can randomly whip your ass when they have a 'good game' (see us vs. USC 2016), but generally guys who are 'great recruiters' end up like Sark and Kiff did at USC... "you brought in all this talent, why are you getting beat by the 7th place team in the conference?!?!"

See - I don't JUST care about recruiting.

We aren't getting Kelee unless Sav'ell commits early and dedicates his life to recruiting him.

what an interesting and quick way to kill my morning boner
    The only way we get him is if Sav'ell makes it his mission and somehow we can convince his mom that UW is going to be good for her kid.

I really hope we see Byron and Taylor go 1-2 for DBs, it would definitely help.
    They're not going 1-2. Byron has what, maybe a 40% shot of being the first? He's probably the favorite but you almost always have to take the field, it's not like he's seen as some can't miss, top 5 DB type. I think Rapp makes it into the first round but I don't think it's likely he makes it all the way to the #2 DB.

If we need them going 1-2 to get Kelee, #HeGone.
    Rapp is definitely not going second after his combine unless he just absolutely destroys the Pro Day.

He might fall to the third round is his pro day is like this. Most likely second.
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Meek said:

Lake isn't Lambo - Kwat is Lambo. Or - to be fair to Kwat, Kwat is Solich, prolly - but you get my point.

Lake wants to be a HC and he should. I just don't want him to be a HC at USC or Oregon.

Being a HC is mostly about being a CEO. I don't have close enough knowledge to evaluate whether Jimmy is a good CEO or not. He's a fucking great position coach (though pretty much everyone looks like a great position coach under Pete) and he's a really good recruiter.

I'm not afraid of Cristobal's recruiting machine, though. Teams that recruit amazing are annoying because they can randomly whip your ass when they have a 'good game' (see us vs. USC 2016), but generally guys who are 'great recruiters' end up like Sark and Kiff did at USC... "you brought in all this talent, why are you getting beat by the 7th place team in the conference?!?!"

We aren't getting Kelee unless Sav'ell commits early and dedicates his life to recruiting him.

The only way we get him is if Sav'ell makes it his mission and somehow we can convince his mom that UW is going to be good for her kid.

They're not going 1-2. Byron has what, maybe a 40% shot of being the first? He's probably the favorite but you almost always have to take the field, it's not like he's seen as some can't miss, top 5 DB type. I think Rapp makes it into the first round but I don't think it's likely he makes it all the way to the #2 DB.

Rapp is definitely not going second after his combine unless he just absolutely destroys the Pro Day.

He might fall to the third round is his pro day is like this. Most likely second.
    It's a weak safety class, at least at the top. I think he's in tier 1 with Savage and Thornhill. Then again I don't have a good read on where the NFL values Thompson, Gardner-Johnson and Abram.

It's really impossible to tell where any of these guys are gonna go. I'd be surprised if anybody picks a safety in the first 25 picks though.

Wouldn't be shocked if there are no safeties taken in round 1 and then a whole bunch of them go on day 2. There's so little value in picking a safety early in this class when the drop-off is minimal.
  • Options

Meek said:

It's a weak safety class, at least at the top. I think he's in tier 1 with Savage and Thornhill. Then again I don't have a good read on where the NFL values Thompson, Gardner-Johnson and Abram.

It's really impossible to tell where any of these guys are gonna go. I'd be surprised if anybody picks a safety in the first 25 picks though.

Wouldn't be shocked if there are no safeties taken in round 1 and then a whole bunch of them go on day 2. There's so little value in picking a safety early in this class when the drop-off is minimal.
    Right.

Which is why it was always a safe bet they weren't going 1-2 for DB's, even before Rapp blew the combine.
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422

Meek said:

Right.

Which is why it was always a safe bet they weren't going 1-2 for DB's, even before Rapp blew the combine.
    I wouldn't say he blew the combine. He should have ran the 40, but we knew he wasn't that explosive and so his jumps weren't that bad, especially the vert.

And we're still waiting on full agility drill results to be published. That's where he was supposed to shine. If those are bad, I'll agree with you.
  • Options
    HUSKYFANATICHUSKYFANATIC Member Posts: 1,651
    edited March 2019

Kelee MF Ringo
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Meek said:

When is the Wonderlic?
    Considering he “blew” the combine I’m assuming there was some licking involved as well.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    You guys are fucking stupid he ran a 3.99 shuttle with a fucked up hip lol
  • Options

You guys are fucking stupid he ran a 3.99 shuttle with a fucked up hip lol

link?
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Everyone worried about momma's influence should go and recruit her on tweeter. Apparently she doesn't mind getting some love there.

Let’s do it. Fuck it.
    Paging @backthepack he gets after it with the parents for better or worse
    ;)

I’m a hit with the HH wives. Axe @UW_Doog_Bot about the monster shit I took in his house.