Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

"We've only been an elite program again for 1 year"

Comments

• doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    One Natty is all it will take. UW''s return to Elite Status will be retored. Book End Natty''s with a tragic story that included a Black coach "who wasn't treated fairly" will do the trick. Peterman will become USC Pete Carrol. 12''s will burn their jerseys in a sign of KKKOURAGE as the Sea hawks return to Suck and Once again Seattle will become a town where All I Saw Was Purple is uttered at opposing press conferences as they leave town.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

UW is the same level program as Clemson, LSU and Florida.

We are below the first tier, but we are in the second tier. That's how we got Pete.

If we had ACTUALLY fallen into the third tier (with teams like Ole Miss and Oklahoma State), there's no way we'd have gotten Pete.

Those three programs have won natties this century.

Fuck off with that comparison.

Swaye said:

I like this list:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/ranking-the-greatest-college-football-programs-of-all-time.html/?a=viewall

I'd take the top 8 as serious Elite schools, but I could see the argument for including Miami and FSU, I just discounted them because their HUGE amount of success is relatively recent (going back to WWI). To me, 10-25 are second tier, and even though they only went to 15, 16-25 would include schools like UW, Oregon, Clemson, Tennessee, Wisconsin, etc.

Agree. We're definitely Tier 2, say, somewhere between 15 and 20 ish. 1984 really fucked us- i.e., having 1.5 natties since 1980 would really boost the resume. Hell, we'd be tied with USC over the same timeframe (sorry 1979 USC...ha, ha)
    UW fucked itself in 1984.
    doogie said:

One Natty is all it will take. UW''s return to Elite Status will be retored. Book End Natty''s with a tragic story that included a Black coach "who wasn't treated fairly" will do the trick. Peterman will become USC Pete Carrol. 12''s will burn their jerseys in a sign of KKKOURAGE as the Sea hawks return to Suck and Once again Seattle will become a town where All I Saw Was Purple is uttered at opposing press conferences as they leave town.

Welcome to the @Sledog club!
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,279 Founders Club

We are below the first tier, but we are in the second tier. That's how we got Pete.

If we had ACTUALLY fallen into the third tier (with teams like Ole Miss and Oklahoma State), there's no way we'd have gotten Pete.

This. What other school in the country that hadn't dun better than 5-4 in conference since 2001 could have gotten Pete? The fundamentals were always there to be a top 10- 15 type program and we just fucked it up with decades of gross mismanagement. Look at Nebraska - who's gonna be their savior given the decay of their program?
    I agree that UW has many built in advantages that help it retain a second tier status even during mediocre or worse stretches. It's really no surprise that Peterman was interested in taking the leap. Brand new shiny stadium, a program that has proven it can win at the highest levels, somewhat better than fair to middling talent on the team and expectations that had been tempered by the Gilby/Ty/Sark years. Not saying Peterman is afraid of high expectations, don't twist, don't be a twister, but I am saying that that is an ideal situation to walk into when you plan to blow up everything the fucktard before you was doing. If Pete is who we think he is, UW will regularly contend for conference titles and more. It's looking like it's a good time to be a DaWg .... again.
    LOL.

Triggered old man is triggered.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844

Other than the fact that those schools all have recent multiple natties....

Spot on???
    salemcoog said:

Other than the fact that those schools all have recent multiple natties....

Spot on???
    Poont of clarification.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381

This. What other school in the country that hadn't dun better than 5-4 in conference since 2001 could have gotten Pete? The fundamentals were always there to be a top 10- 15 type program and we just fucked it up with decades of gross mismanagement. Look at Nebraska - who's gonna be their savior given the decay of their program?
    SLEEPING GIANT
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,944 Founders Club
    edited September 2017
    AZDuck said:

SLEEPING Tier 2 GIANT
    Fixed.

Swaye said:

I like this list:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/ranking-the-greatest-college-football-programs-of-all-time.html/?a=viewall

I'd take the top 8 as serious Elite schools, but I could see the argument for including Miami and FSU, I just discounted them because their HUGE amount of success is relatively recent (going back to WWI). To me, 10-25 are second tier, and even though they only went to 15, 16-25 would include schools like UW, Oregon, Clemson, Tennessee, Wisconsin, etc.

Agree. We're definitely Tier 2, say, somewhere between 15 and 20 ish. 1984 really fucked us- i.e., having 1.5 natties since 1980 would really boost the resume. Hell, we'd be tied with USC over the same timeframe (sorry 1979 USC...ha, ha)
    UW fucked itself in 1984.
    Yeah they lost a game on the road to a team that finished top 10; that's a pretty minor blemish on the best overall resume that year. 1984 BYU is the least deserving National Champ of the modern era of CF.
    You are right about BYU.
  • AEBAEB Member Posts: 2,971
    Baseman said:

AEB said:

Fine. I accept the scorn. Furthermore, I accept the DDY tiered ranking of deuce. I’m full on Doog right now and in the preason poll, I stated I was still “happy to be here” and “not critical yet.” I still think the stadium getting done with a shitbag program was a huge signal to us being elite (defined now as tier deuce). Some Luddite mentioned ATM as a comp - yes, based on their financial backing and maneuvering into the SEC, ATM is a great comp and proof we aren’t shit. They even have their own Sark. Finally, UW has no single benefactor, an even bigger signal of our eliteness, and very much unlike our grellow, gas pumping, power bottom state neighbor or Okie State for examples.

Ahem. Big and Elite, you say?
    I just puked in my mouth.