Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

TSiO Episode #35: Preseason Review, Raising the Bar Update, Colorado Preview

Comments

• AEBAEB Member Posts: 2,971
    @Dennis_DeYoung @CokeGreaterThanPepsi @Tequilla Working my way through the poad. Your comment on wilcox was fine. I recall the complaint against Wilcox was more that the Doogs believed we couldn't get anyone better so the dream team was Wilcox, with Tosh and Sirmon and Heyward. I thought Wilcox was a huge improvement at D.C. But, I didn't think he was ready to be Uw Hc at that time. It'd been the same stupid hiring mistake again.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,852

AEB said:

@Dennis_DeYoung @CokeGreaterThanPepsi @Tequilla Working my way through the poad. Your comment on wilcox was fine. I recall the complaint against Wilcox was more that the Doogs believed we couldn't get anyone better so the dream team was Wilcox, with Tosh and Sirmon and Heyward. I thought Wilcox was a huge improvement at D.C. But, I didn't think he was ready to be Uw Hc at that time. It'd been the same stupid hiring mistake again.

lets pump the breaks fuckers. Wait 2.5 seasons before we crown his ass. You need more data to make an assessment if he good HC
  • NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,423
    Finally had time to listen. First thing's first: I'm putting all my savings on Herbert for Heisman now. If it doesn't work out, I'm blaming you Dennis. If it does work out, it will still be underwhelming after I put money on Lamar Jackson last year after week 1 at much higher odds. Basically, either way I hate you Dennis.

On losing the 2nd half: After relaxing my anus a bit, I do think it's nice that we got playing time and experience for some of our back-end scrubs. That being said, I agree with Coker that our 2nd string is bad and we need some of the younger guys to step up for depth. I will LIPO though because in the past years they also gave experience to our worst players in the scrimmages. Justice Warren played in the first two games last year and was basically never heard from again. R.I.P.

Harambe Williams is not playing because we aren't playing undersized Bucks any more (thank god), and Tevis is actually playing well. Presumably they'll rotate him in eventually to get him experience and he'll be rotating with Tevis when Potato Famine O'Briain gradutates, then be the starter when Tevis graduates. Mini-Bowman is actually a decent pass rusher because of his first step and his natural leverage (read: Dwarphism). That does not mean he should be #2 buck, obviously. He should never be in coverage either. The only time he should be on the field is 3 and 8 or longer against a non-mobile QB. I like that the Bowman's are setting a good example for steroid usage, though.

As for the two-back sets, I briefly mentioned how much I love it in the gayme thread. If you want to know what that could look like for us, look at Oklahoma. Even if Babushka's pass-happy play-calling it can work beautifully (see Oklahoma vs. Ohio State). Lincoln Riley is one of my favorite offensive scheme guys and play-callers in football. What he does with Dimitri Flowers (who is barely bigger than Coleman) as an H-back is a thing of beauty. Two-back sets with Coleman as the H-back and Gaskin as the running back needs to be a thing. Also please use Hunter Bryant like they use Mark Andrews, and get our O-linemen on the move (except Sosebee, please release him into the wild). It would help our running game and short passing game tremendously. Browning is Alex Smith, just use him to get the play to our playmakers in space.

I'm gonna stop now before this gets longer than the actual podcast. 90 minutes? You guys are phoning it in. I expect at least 4h 30 next time.

Inb4 didn't read lol.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    edited September 2017
    go to 36:15
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BOACy7J4yo

there is definitely something to what teq says about our pass rush philosophy. Gaines has a free rush to the QB and just stops. Similarly watch how wide an angle Jaylen takes.

Given this philosophy you can see why we? did so well against hurts.
  • NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,423
    I forgot one thing: FUCK Rafi Pounds. He looks like a fucking soccer player, and as your resident Europeein, I should know. Get his soft, highlighted hair, wannabe instagram model ass the fuck away from this program. I'd rather play a freshman. Or Chin.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,876 Standard Supporter
    Dennis is slightly wrong about UW being 0-3. They are actually 0-0. The first three games were meaningless, except for the fact that Smiff should die.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    It's an interesting idea when you think about it ... contain the QB in the pocket and when he steps up you squeeze him in and send a MLB up to support ... in the process you force the QB to throw in a semi-congested pocket and allows our DBs confidence to play actual routes versus freelanced situations
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    edited September 2017
    Tequilla said:

It's an interesting idea when you think about it ... contain the QB in the pocket and when he steps up you squeeze him in and send a MLB up to support ... in the process you force the QB to throw in a semi-congested pocket and allows our DBs confidence to play actual routes versus freelanced situations

Probably our coaches learning a lesson from darnold last season why killed us by extending the play.
    The downside is that it seems to be a bad natural fit for benning's style. I don't see why we've never tried him as a Michael Bennett inside type on. 3rd downs.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    dhdawg said:

there is definitely something to what teq says about our pass rush philosophy. Gaines has a free rush to the QB and just stops. Similarly watch how wide an angle Jaylen takes.

On situations where one or more front 4 players don't rush, my guess is always been they're assigned to screen/scramble/draw.
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,236
    dhdawg said:

Makes more sense now. I read something that alluded to this from the Atlanta Falcons preseason talk about Elijah Qualls.

http://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/30/pass-rusher-coach-chuck-smith-breaks-down-four-eagles-dl-hes-worked-with/4/
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    dhdawg said:

Yeah I remember seeing that play, I think Greg just thought that was a screen since no one blocked him. If it's too easy it is usually a screen, in that case it was just a blown assignment by the OL and Gaines got confused.
    Part of being elite is doing things differently than everybody else and finding competitive advantages ...

We all know that part of destroying a passing attack is in making the QB uncomfortable ...

We all have largely been brought up with the idea that the best way to do that is through pressuring the QB ...

We have also seen instances throughout the history of football where there have been unique ways employed to disrupt ... the Bills/Giants Super Bowl (SB25) is a famous example where the Giants continuously rushed 2 flooding passing lanes ...

In today's modern football defenses are faced with QBs that are multi talented that can beat you with their arms and feet ... take the Rich Rod special play where they run option action with the QB/RB and still have a WR available as a receiving option ... or take the QB that breaks containment and creates big plays with either his feet/arm ...

It's not that I think that we are against blitzing or pushing up the field ... but I think we are definitely strategic about it ... if we blitz up the middle the edges are containing the escape route ...

It's interesting to me to think about the concept ... on one hand it goes against everything we've ever thought ... on the other the implications are super interesting
    Tequilla said:

Part of being elite is doing things differently than everybody else and finding competitive advantages ...

We all know that part of destroying a passing attack is in making the QB uncomfortable ...

We all have largely been brought up with the idea that the best way to do that is through pressuring the QB ...

We have also seen instances throughout the history of football where there have been unique ways employed to disrupt ... the Bills/Giants Super Bowl (SB25) is a famous example where the Giants continuously rushed 2 flooding passing lanes ...

In today's modern football defenses are faced with QBs that are multi talented that can beat you with their arms and feet ... take the Rich Rod special play where they run option action with the QB/RB and still have a WR available as a receiving option ... or take the QB that breaks containment and creates big plays with either his feet/arm ...

It's not that I think that we are against blitzing or pushing up the field ... but I think we are definitely strategic about it ... if we blitz up the middle the edges are containing the escape route ...

It's interesting to me to think about the concept ... on one hand it goes against everything we've ever thought ... on the other the implications are super interesting

That's all well and good, but we don't need Ryan Bowman doing that.
    Bread said:

You are missing something key with Bowman. We need him vs Auburn next year. He played at IMG probably on the bottom of the roster but he was there. Now all the kids that beat him go to auburn. So he got that revenge factor going on. No one else on the team has that kind if motivation.

This is brilliant, hadn't thought of it that way.

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

This isn't about Bowman ... fixating on Bowman is getting lost in the details and not seeing the bigger picture
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

This isn't about Bowman ... fixating on Bowman is getting lost in the details and not seeing the bigger picture
    I'm hearing some of us? out here need to dig deeper out here.