Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Hillary Clinton: "We Should Abolish the Electoral College..."

Comments

• AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Fer fucks' sake

ARE YOU NOT INTO TRAINS POAST O' THE DAY

The California bullet train is a necessity, if people are going to continue to cram in there. California is slightly larger than Japan, with much more urbanized land (if you can believe that - Cali housing density versus Japanese housing density).

Either that or sit on the freewayz until the end of time, or join the Elon Musk or Self-Driving Car cargo cults.

Or, you know, embrace a technology that's been successful everywhere it's been tried. Yes, America does it's level best to fuck up train travel, but it works well here too in places with sufficient population density and train frequency (East coast and Chicago).

FUCK
    Oh, and @YellowSnow

I enjoyed Cadillac Desert, but some of his points are from the Ehrlich-Malthus School of Environmental Scaremongering. You have to take the more extreme stuff with a grain or three of salt, and look at the points which are supported by data or solid science.

And that aquifer under the San Joaquin Valley is going, going, gone. They need to build an aqueduct from Oregon just to re-charge that fucker.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    AZDuck said:

Oh, and @YellowSnow

I enjoyed Cadillac Desert, but some of his points are from the Ehrlich-Malthus School of Environmental Scaremongering. You have to take the more extreme stuff with a grain or three of salt, and look at the points which are supported by data or solid science.

And that aquifer under the San Joaquin Valley is going, going, gone. They need to build an aqueduct from Oregon just to re-charge that fucker.

The Duck gets it.

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

AZDuck said:

it would be nice if people rather than acreage decided who runs the country

(yes, I had to edit that. it takes time to be pithy)

I'm sure you didn't do it on purpose - but those people who live in 'the country' don't much like city folks telling them how to manage their lands from behind desks.

Them cunty folk's hypocrisy about big guvmint makes me laff from time to time. Us here city slickers are the ones that subsidize their roads, schools, etc. If you're a farmer that irrigates at all in WA, CA, ID, etc, all that infrastructure came from big government boondoggles and they only pay pennies on the dollar for the actual cost of the water.
    They aren't subsidizing the farmer, they subsidize the food you eat. Now go back to your topicalchica handle and poast a shitty pole. It's your wheel house.
    This is essential reading by the way, if you want to dig a little deeper into the subject.

I agree. We should save our water by diverting it away from Southern California. I prefer my oranges from Florida anyway. Problem solved.
    Your water doesn't go to Southern California.
    Correct. But the point is that So Cal would dry up in a month if they closed the gates to Lake Mead and other areas outside of the state where the wa wa comes from.
    Not exactly. Most of So Cal's water comes from in state- i.e., diverted from the Northern watersheds in the State and diverted south through the CA State Water Project; and for LA, their Aqueduct from the Owens Valley. So Cal gets a portion from the Colorado River, but it's nowhere near the majority of their water. They also have a shit ton or reservoirs that capture rainfall and certain places - e.g., Orange County - have massive aquifers.
    I'm sure that works great during the 7 days per year when it rains. So you're saying, and just let me get this clear, cuz I'm a little slow, that So Cal has an abundant in state water supply?

Is that what you're really trying to say?
    In years when it rains and snows at average or above, we are fine for 40+ million people and the worlds 6th largest economy. We are even doing a lot better in water storage. There are massive new resources (underground and reservoirs) in the Central Valley and riverside county. The wet winter pattern generally predominates (and it rains like a motherfucker that makes this Seattle native cringe when it's occurring-- not seattle mist and drizzle but a fucking shitstorm for days). Every decade or so, however, is interrupted with a 1-3 year drought. This last one was the most severe. In the end, CA is absolutely water independent with multiple back-up resources (water storage, reduction in use and desalinization) if necessary. Water is CA's weakest defense. If, however, you think it's defeating the single largest wealth creating entity in the world you are wrong.
    I guess all the reports of towns literally going dry 2 years ago were completely false then? The sharts showing groundwater dropping to un precedented levels up and down the state measured by satellites was all bunk???

It's hard for me to believe that one wet year fixes all that.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,019 Founders Club
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

AZDuck said:

I'm sure you didn't do it on purpose - but those people who live in 'the country' don't much like city folks telling them how to manage their lands from behind desks.

Them cunty folk's hypocrisy about big guvmint makes me laff from time to time. Us here city slickers are the ones that subsidize their roads, schools, etc. If you're a farmer that irrigates at all in WA, CA, ID, etc, all that infrastructure came from big government boondoggles and they only pay pennies on the dollar for the actual cost of the water.
    They aren't subsidizing the farmer, they subsidize the food you eat. Now go back to your topicalchica handle and poast a shitty pole. It's your wheel house.
    This is essential reading by the way, if you want to dig a little deeper into the subject.

I agree. We should save our water by diverting it away from Southern California. I prefer my oranges from Florida anyway. Problem solved.
    Correct. But the point is that So Cal would dry up in a month if they closed the gates to Lake Mead and other areas outside of the state where the wa wa comes from.
    Not exactly. Most of So Cal's water comes from in state- i.e., diverted from the Northern watersheds in the State and diverted south through the CA State Water Project; and for LA, their Aqueduct from the Owens Valley. So Cal gets a portion from the Colorado River, but it's nowhere near the majority of their water. They also have a shit ton or reservoirs that capture rainfall and certain places - e.g., Orange County - have massive aquifers.
    I'm sure that works great during the 7 days per year when it rains. So you're saying, and just let me get this clear, cuz I'm a little slow, that So Cal has an abundant in state water supply?

Yes, most of So Cal's water comes the Sierra Nevada and Southern Cascades (both in state) and local aquifers and reservoirs. And then depending on the municipality some comes from the Cool-er-rado River, but not as much as you might think. In normal year, they have enough water believe it or not. In the severe drought years, they fucked.
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228
    edited September 2017
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

AZDuck said:

In years when it rains and snows at average or above, we are fine for 40+ million people and the worlds 6th largest economy. We are even doing a lot better in water storage. There are massive new resources (underground and reservoirs) in the Central Valley and riverside county. The wet winter pattern generally predominates (and it rains like a motherfucker that makes this Seattle native cringe when it's occurring-- not seattle mist and drizzle but a fucking shitstorm for days). Every decade or so, however, is interrupted with a 1-3 year drought. This last one was the most severe. In the end, CA is absolutely water independent with multiple back-up resources (water storage, reduction in use and desalinization) if necessary. Water is CA's weakest defense. If, however, you think it's defeating the single largest wealth creating entity in the world you are wrong.
    I guess all the reports of towns literally going dry 2 years ago were completely false then? The sharts showing groundwater dropping to un precedented levels up and down the state measured by satellites was all bunk???

It's hard for me to believe your dads didn't bonk you on the head and use the milk to raise a pig instead.

• CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

AZDuck said:

Believe what you want to believe (I'm sure you will). But here are the facts: sierra snow pack is strong, ground water reserves are recovering from near depletion, and reservoirs are full.
    salemcoog said:

Northwest water should go south to California. Letting all that snow melt and rain go into the ocean is a waste.

The Romans are shaking their head at us

This! Race gets it. The Columbia wastes about 260,000,000 acre feet of water per year into the Pacific.
    Actually it's better wasted than providing sustenance for all of the polluters in So Cal that are contributing to climate change, no ?
    There's a valid poont here. Just by virtue of living in Southern California one uses a lot more energy then say the typical Seattle or Portland resident. It takes a shit ton of juice to pump all that water down from Northern California (or the Colorado River) and over the local mountain ranges into Southern California. The only exception to this is the LA Aqueduct (Owens River) which is all basically gravity fed.
    AZDuck said:

Oh, and @YellowSnow

Of course, AZ Duck, but he gets the history right on of how all that shit got built which was my original point.
    edited September 2017

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

AZDuck said:

Believe what you want to believe (I'm sure you will). But here are the facts: sierra snow pack is strong, ground water reserves are recovering from near depletion, and reservoirs are full.
    Not the case, fren.
    The Central Valley aquifer extends for about 400 miles under the Sacramento and San Joaquin valleys. The subterranean water, some of which seeped into the ground 10,000 to 20,000 years ago, constitutes the state’s largest reservoir. Agricultural pumping from the aquifer has gone unregulated and unmonitored for decades, and there are no good figures on how much water has been removed.

It remains unclear how California’s current, unusually wet winter may affect the state’s aquifers, if at all, researchers say.
    dflea said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

AZDuck said:

It's hard for me to believe your dads didn't bonk you on the head and use the milk to raise a pig instead.

That was actually pretty funny.
    AZDuck said:

Fer fucks' sake

The California bullet train is a necessity, if people are going to continue to cram in there. California is slightly larger than Japan, with much more urbanized land (if you can believe that - Cali housing density versus Japanese housing density).

Either that or sit on the freewayz until the end of time, or join the Elon Musk or Self-Driving Car cargo cults.

Or, you know, embrace a technology that's been successful everywhere it's been tried. Yes, America does it's level best to fuck up train travel, but it works well here too in places with sufficient population density and train frequency (East coast and Chicago).

FUCK

I LOVE TRAINS!!

But still the roads are fucking falling apart and a death trap. And the Delta situation is a ticking time bomb for lack of a even lazier, shitty cliché.

I'd love to see all 3 get dun, but the first 2 seem like more urgent priorities.
  • CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    AZDuck said:

Fer fucks' sake

FUCK

If people were traveling en masse from Redding-Sacramento-Fresno-bakersfield then the train would be great (400 miles of flat farmland). But the vast majority of the state's population is commuting the coastal / mountain route from LAX/ LA union station to downtown SF. The necessary cost and feat of engineering to pull that off is insurmountable.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,559 Founders Club

I turned the shower on and let it run for like 15 mins then didn't actually go in because it was cold by then.

Typical Phoenician!
  • NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,792
    Electoral college is archaic and takes away the true voting power away from all but a few swing states and allows presidential candidates to disproportionately spend time/money/resources into winning those states.

But Hillary fucking Clinton is the last person who should be opposing it. Makes her look like even more of a sore loser. She needs to disappear... but like someone else mentioned in the thread earlier there are still idiots who pay to hear her opinions so she stays active.

Also, I love how quickly this thread turned from electoral college talk to talk about trains. Tug at its finest.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Northwest water should go south to California. Letting all that snow melt and rain go into the ocean is a waste.

The Romans are shaking their head at us

Dam that shit up and flood Portland all to hell.

Lots of problems solved.

Ouch
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228
    salemcoog said:

dflea said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

AZDuck said:

That was actually pretty funny.
    I plagiarismed that from a friend's grandpa. His actual line was "We should have bonked you on the head and used the milk to raise a pig."

It made me laff.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,220 Standard Supporter
    AZDuck said:

Fer fucks' sake

FUCK

I really didn't know traffic was so bad between Bakersfield and Fresno.