Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

A brief history of the only successful nation building exercises in US History

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,019 Founders Club

Comments

• doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    edited August 2017
    My favorite story was from an old WWII general who explained in detail what we did to END terrorism in Nazi Germany once and for all. Simple, effective, absolute, brutal, worked.

We would encompass an area of town, set up checkpoints and leaflet the shit out of the area warning for surrender or die, with a time limit. Some followed good advice and escaped thru the checkpoints. We then flattened every single square inch of the zone with the exception of churches.

Some held women and children as shields. It was unfortunate for them their families chose to have them killed rather than be released to the American liberators. It didn't take long for the women, children and escaping soldiers to turn on the remaining terrorists.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    [citation needed]
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,019 Founders Club

I think we could leave Afghanistan and tell the Taliban that after they resume control they best not send anything our way or we'll detonate a nuke on the ground in Kabul and make it look like their bomb maker fucked up.

We should have gone into Afghanistan with 50,000 to 100,000 troops and killed as many Taliban as we could and blown up as much shit as possible and then LEFT. Use drones and intelligence from there. We had no choice fight there in 2001 but getting a nation building W was never possible. Let Iran and Pakistan get bogged down in the mess after we broke it.
    AZDuck said:

[citation needed]

Please elaborate.
    edited August 2017
    AZDuck said:

AZDuck said:

[citation needed]

Please elaborate.
    Not sure that Reconstruction took

It took in the sense that the Union was preserved, the slaves were (partially) freed, and that they didn't take up arms again (on a large scale, at least) against the federal government (I think the armed militia thing on public ground should be grounds for immediate arrest BTW; that's not 2nd amendment protected). But we did go easy on the South- i.e., virtually no hangings of traitors and the Democrats we back in power in every state by the late 1870's. We took the easy route to get them back in the fold. Keep in mind we went pretty easy on Japan as well in this respect...

• Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,860

AZDuck said:

AZDuck said:

[citation needed]

Please elaborate.

It took in the sense that the Union was preserved, the slaves were (partially) freed, and that they didn't take up arms again (on a large scale, at least) against the federal government (I think the armed militia thing on public ground should be grounds for immediate arrest BTW; that's not 2nd amendment protected). But we did go easy on the South- i.e., virtually no hangings of traitors and the Democrats we back in power in every state by the late 1870's. We took the easy route to get them back in the fold. Keep in mind we went pretty easy on Japan as well in this respect...

Fucking japs
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    doogie said:

My favorite story was from an old WWII general who explained in detail what we did to END terrorism in Nazi Germany once and for all. Simple, effective, absolute, brutal, worked.

We would encompass an area of town, set up checkpoints and leaflet the shit out of the area warning for surrender or die, with a time limit. Some followed good advice and escaped thru the checkpoints. We then flattened every single square inch of the zone with the exception of churches.

Some held women and children as shields. It was unfortunate for them their families chose to have them killed rather than be released to the American liberators. It didn't take long for the women, children and escaping soldiers to turn on the remaining terrorists.

I've spelled this out before and it's a very simple technique, but we aren't going to use it because our military is ran by contracting now. A victory, a scale down, or even this nonsense Donnie was talking about last night is bad for business which is why if one conflict ever does end it will be quickly replaced by another.

We are absolutely going to keep building in Afghanistan. We have thousands of SMDC type contracts over there that stretch out to 25 years. What are they supposed to do about those? Let the Democrats get ahold of contractors getting buyout checks for billions of tax dollars to not do anything.

When you don't eradicate the biggest, baddest guy possible rises up through any means necessary and some soccer mom in Kentucky is going to be horrified by what those means are so we have to go back and fight the new guy who was the same as the last guy.
    Mosster47 said:

doogie said:

I've spelled this out before and it's a very simple technique, but we aren't going to use it because our military is ran by contracting now. A victory, a scale down, or even this nonsense Donnie was talking about last night is bad for business which is why if one conflict ever does end it will be quickly replaced by another.

We are absolutely going to keep building in Afghanistan. We have thousands of SMDC type contracts over there that stretch out to 25 years. What are they supposed to do about those? Let the Democrats get ahold of contractors getting buyout checks for billions of tax dollars to not do anything.

When you don't eradicate the biggest, baddest guy possible rises up through any means necessary and some soccer mom in Kentucky is going to be horrified by what those means are so we have to go back and fight the new guy who was the same as the last guy.
    Beware the Military Industrial complex.

That heroin isn't going to sell itself

Truth. War on drugs certainly doesn't help things.
    Did someone hack @Dennis_DeYoung 's account? What are you doing in the Patron Rub and Tug Tavern?
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072

That heroin isn't going to sell itself

Truth. War on drugs certainly doesn't help things.
    which is why safe injection should be taught in kindergarten
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    edited August 2017

AZDuck said:

AZDuck said:

[citation needed]

Please elaborate.

I'd put my money on Japanese and German people to rebuild a country over almost anyone else. They were also 'successful' rebuilds because they were both formidable opponents in the first fucking place.

You don't go into some shit-wagon cuntry that's never done anything fucking right in its history, dump a bunch of strings-attached money into it and hope that something good happens.

Japan and Germany were fucking serious powers. We have fought a bunch of shit-houses since then and either run them over post-haste or had to fight guerrillas, which no one likes to do.

Iraq has been behind the fucking times for like 1800 years. You think fucking 8 years of US corruption that's not allowed in the US so has to take place somewhere else in order to line the pockets of US military contractors - in an already complete corrupt shit-hole is going to fucking do anything?

The south is the same shit. It's pretty much the fucking same as it was when we leveled it.

White people without the protestant work ethic are fucking wholly and completely useless - and the south is run by them (and has basically always been). The south is basically a complete leech off grown economies.

If you look at the USA right now, per capita GDP is only higher than the AVG US PCGDP in ONE fucking 'southern state' (Virginia) and that has nothing to do with the South and everything to do with the north.

By contrast, most places with complete shit PCGDP are southern or rural.

Bottom 15 -
    36 Michigan (corrupt unions and the American auto industry management fuckshow; complete disaster)
    37 Missouri (white southerners)
    38 Tennessee (ouch)
    39 New Mexico (NOC)
    40 Florida (Republican rule and racism!)
    41 Montana (see Florida)
    42 Kentucky (see Florida)
    43 Maine (see Florida)
    44 Arizona (see Florida)
    45 Alabama (ouch)
    46 South Carolina (ouch)
    47 Arkansas (ouch)
    48 West Virginia (ouch)
    49 Idaho (see Florida)
    50 Mississippi (ouch).

The economy in the South is good relative to the rest of the world (it's trash in PPP by the way) for the same reason Italy, Spain and Portugal look okay. When you are next to giant economic power and have trade alliances with them, you flourish even if you are a complete corrupt fuckhole.