Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Republican health care reform

Comments

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    "When are Democrats going to admit that their claims about their government-run plan are pure fiction? Repeating the same disproven myths over and over again will not make them true," said Michael Steel, spokesman for House Minority Leader John Boehner of Ohio.

"Instead, Democrats should scrap their costly, job-destroying proposal and work with Republicans on a real plan to give Americans better access to affordable health care."

Yet Obama is soldiering on in his quest to get members of both political parties on board with his top domestic priority.

So far, he has summoned Republicans and Democrats to the White House. He has used public forums to make a direct pitch to the people. He has turned to his political operation to air campaign-like TV ads.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/07/18/obama-reaches-republicans-health-care-bipartisan-looking-unlikely.amp.html
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

I just paid three bills at 50 cents on the dollar because I don't have insurance

WTGWT
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,633
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Sledog said:

That's because Obozo care really is just catastrophic insurance. They punish you severely if you use it. Of course after Britain's courts ruled Charlie Guard belongs to the state and not his parents we can see how special government run socialized medicine really is. Death panels coming son to your neighborhood.

You make it sound like death panels are a bad thing.
    They're OK if I am the panel.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    AZDuck said:

The ACA made it out of committee in the House of Representatives in July 2009, after a month-long markup and 160 Republican amendments. The House didn’t vote on it until November 7th.

In 2010, the Senate health committee spent nearly 60 hours over the course of 13 days marking up the legislation that would become the ACA.

The Senate Finance Committee held 53 meetings about the ACA and an eight-day markup of the bill, which was the longest markup for the committee in over 20 years. The committee considered 130 amendments and held 79 roll-call votes.

There were 44 hearings and public events about the plan in the Senate alone.
    http://fortune.com/2017/06/27/ahca-less-public-debate-than-aca/

As opposed to zero days in committee and zero public hearings while the Senate tries to shoehorn something into reconciliation because they're not even sure if they can muster 50 votes, let alone 60.

It's only 1/8 of the economy, what could possibly go wrong?

Well... That's the whole root of the problem isn't it?
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Health insurance isn't healthcare
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,135
    Swaye's Wigwam

I just paid three bills at 50 cents on the dollar because I don't have insurance

WTGWT
    The fact that providers gladly take half price to avoid insurance should tell you something

If you have half a brain

The fact that the numbers make that a better deal for me is also revealing

If you have half a brain
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

WTGWT
    The fact that providers gladly take half price to avoid insurance should tell you something

If you have half a brain

If you have half a brain
    If only we had half brains, we would let Medicare and Medicaid negotiate compensation rates and drive down charges for everyone. But we don't do that.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AZDuck said:

WTGWT

If you have half a brain

If you have half a brain
    If only we had half brains, we would let Medicare and Medicaid negotiate compensation rates and drive down charges for everyone. But we don't do that.
    That would defeat the cash discount. The cost of insurance, government red tape and the like is why the bill is 50% higher to begin with

Cash doesn't require a staff of drones and massive storage of data
  • Options

AZDuck said:

WTGWT

If you have half a brain

If you have half a brain
    That would defeat the cash discount. The cost of insurance, government red tape and the like is why the bill is 50% higher to begin with

I can't afford to pay for cancer surgery or MS medication out-of-pocket, even at a 50% discount. So now what?
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    AZDuck said:

AZDuck said:

WTGWT

If you have half a brain

If you have half a brain

I can't afford to pay for cancer surgery or MS medication out-of-pocket, even at a 50% discount. So now what?
    The advisory death panel will take your circumstance under consideration.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108

WTGWT

If you have half a brain

If you have half a brain
    Huh it's almost like having to deal with 5,000 different insurance companies and then trying to see what is covered and at what rate might be inefficient.

If only there was a system that had just a single payer.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AZDuck said:

AZDuck said:

WTGWT

If you have half a brain

If you have half a brain

You are able to buy a tailored insurance for catastrophic care, not a one size fits all expensive plan mandated by the government.

Vote for me. Free market for those that can, medicade for those that can't

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

WTGWT

If you have half a brain

If you have half a brain
    Huh it's almost like having to deal with 5,000 different insurance companies and then trying to see what is covered and at what rate might be inefficient.

And layers of government red tape, long waits, and death panels.

I'm in!
  • Options

WTGWT

If you have half a brain

If you have half a brain

I'm in!
    Nope, it's universally cheaper and has similar waiting times. You can still pick up your boner pills on a whim.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

WTGWT

If you have half a brain

If you have half a brain

I'm in!
    Nope, it's universally cheaper and has similar waiting times. You can still pick up your boner pills on a whim.
    Bull shit

I wish it were so but it ain't
  • Options

The laws of health care economics must be different here than in the rest of the developed world or something
  • Options

WTGWT

If you have half a brain

If you have half a brain

I'm in!
    Bull shit

I wish it were so but it ain't
    Nah it really isn't. Canada has shitty wait times, which people like to quote, but most countries don't. US is pretty average in that respect.

http://getbetterhealth.com/wait-times-for-medical-care-how-the-us-actually-measures-up/2010.02.02
    * Canada had the highest percentage of patients (36%) who had to wait six days or more for an appointment with a doctor, but the United States had the second highest percentage (23%) who reported that they had to wait at least this long. New Zealand, Australia, Germany, and the U.K. all had substantially smaller numbers of people reporting waits of 6 days or longer. Canada and the United States, in that order, also had the lowest percentage of persons who said they could get an appointment with a doctor the same or next day.

* The United States had the largest percentage of persons (61%) who said that getting care on nights, weekends, or holidays, without going to the emergency room, was “very” or “somewhat” difficult. In Canada, it was 54%, and in the U.K, 38%. Germany did the best, with only 22% saying that it was difficult to get after-hours care.
    The US does very well in elective surgeries.

* The U.S. also did very well on measures of wait times for non-emergency or elective surgery. Only 8% of surveyed patients in the United States reported a wait time of four months or more for elective surgery, compared to 33% in Canada and 41% in the U.K. Germany scored the best, with only 6% reporting a long wait for elective surgery.
    We are the richest country in the world. We should be able to take the best pieces from all systems and make it work.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,572
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    AZDuck said:

The laws of health care economics must be different here than in the rest of the developed world or something

It's the Mexicans. Of which I am one now.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    AZDuck said:

It's almost like eating habit and exercise play a part in how much health care you consume
  • Options
    dnc said:

AZDuck said:

It's almost like eating habit and exercise play a part in how much health care you consume
    British food is shit and they DON'T exercise.

Try again