Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Dominique Hampton, 4* 2018 DB, Peoria-Centennial, AZ (COMMITTED)

Comments

• Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Tequilla said:

Hampton doesn't have to worry about Lake going to UCLA.

Nobody is worried about Lake leaving for a DB job
    Derp, not sure what I was thinking there.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    whlinder said:

Obviously Lake isn’t long for his current position. But isn’t that true for every assistant coach on every staff in the country? Sure, some of the OCs and DCs may be stable for 5 year periods, but assistant level coaches have to be 2-3 years average in the same job, right?

No - I don’t think so ... probably about half and half

For example, on our existing staff the only coaches I see as significant flight risks in the next 2-3 years would be Lake and Lubick ... Bush will be a future star as a HC most likely but he’s going to need to put in some as an OC before moving up the food chain. At best he’s on the back end of that time frame ... more like 3-5 years.

K isn’t going anywhere ... don’t think he has the ambition to be anything more as it isn’t his personality. Gregory is only leaving if pushed out. Same with Malloe. Huff and Paopao strike me as positional assistants.

TBD on the RB coach assuming Boner is leaving ... I need to review his background a bit more ... but would likely lean towards he probably is in the will move in 3 years or so to an OC or mid-major HC role.
  • Options
    HuskyClawsHuskyClaws Member Posts: 1,170
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    The nice part about this early signing period is that we can play hardball with him. They'll tell him that if he doesn't sign, then he's not guaranteed a spot. I think if he makes it to campus this coming weekend, he'll sign on the 20th.
  • Options

The nice part about this early signing period is that we can play hardball with him. They'll tell him that if he doesn't sign, then he's not guaranteed a spot. I think if he makes it to campus this coming weekend, he'll sign on the 20th.

I’m not sure you can play hardball with all recruits ...

If you play hardball with Hampton he can just come back laughing at you saying that’s cool but I’m sure the upper elite of the SEC may have some interest ... he’s never going to be left without a spot.
  • Options
    HuskyClawsHuskyClaws Member Posts: 1,170
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

If you play hardball with Hampton he can just come back laughing at you saying that’s cool but I’m sure the upper elite of the SEC may have some interest ... he’s never going to be left without a spot.
    Agreed, but you can play hardball with him when UW is clearly his best option.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I think we will make expectations clear to him. But I doubt we play hardball. There is no one else interested!
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    whlinder said:

Obviously Lake isn’t long for his current position. But isn’t that true for every assistant coach on every staff in the country? Sure, some of the OCs and DCs may be stable for 5 year periods, but assistant level coaches have to be 2-3 years average in the same job, right?

Either your position coach sucks or he is looking to move up.

Which would you prefer?
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Agreed, but you can play hardball with him when UW is clearly his best option.
    Again, we may be his best option at present because he's been locked in with us for so long ...

I don't believe that we're necessarily the best option going forward if his recruitment opens back up
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The issue with Lake is how it was obviously public he was trying to leave.

So while it’s obvious on some level that all assistants are trying to move up or leave, they can say “I want to be here forever” and have dumb kids believe it.

But with Lake, guys like Meat say “That guy is trying to leave you’ll only have him for 2 weeks. Look at how Bush left last year. Those guys are going to bounce on you.” And those same stupid kids are like “yeah, good point.”

So any talk about reality needs to be canned. We need to talk about PERCEPTION because that’s what matters in recruiting.
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    "it’s quite possible that we may be better off without Lake sooner than later" - tequila fs

one of the dumbest things ever written on this website.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,911
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    From early on, I've always felt from reading Hampton's interviews, that he was hoping for other offers. His commitment to UW was very "well, I guess I'll go ahead and pick UW then". He was also trying to visit Oregon for their big recruiting weekend before WT left.

Dick Newton has had a similar recruitment. The difference is, I think teams will come after Hampton late.

It will be chinteresting to see how Pete handles this. I know his expectation is that all current commits sign on the 20th. You can't hold off recruniting a position because a kid wants to dick around until Feb. That's how you get left holding your dick in your hand on signing day.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,987
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

From early on, I've always felt from reading Hampton's interviews, that he was hoping for other offers. His commitment to UW was very "well, I guess I'll go ahead and pick UW then". He was also trying to visit Oregon for their big recruiting weekend before WT left.

Dick Newton has had a similar recruitment. The difference is, I think teams will come after Hampton late.

It will be chinteresting to see how Pete handles this. I know his expectation is that all current commits sign on the 20th. You can't hold off recruniting a position because a kid wants to dick around until Feb. That's how you get left holding your dick in your hand on signing day.

Likely he will no sign next next week and then we will scramble for him and for whoever usc doesn't want.
  • Options
    doogville said:

"it’s quite possible that we may be better off without Lake sooner than later" - tequila fs

Please explain how?

Right now the DB class looks like it has a chance to be an unmitigated disaster ... care to explain to me how that is the case?

If you actually thought about it for a second, you may realize that I'm not as crazy or as dumb as you think I am
  • Options

Right now we have at least a couple of fingers on our dick
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Tequilla said:

doogville said:

Please explain how?

Right now the DB class looks like it has a chance to be an unmitigated disaster ... care to explain to me how that is the case?

If you actually thought about it for a second, you may realize that I'm not as crazy or as dumb as you think I am
    Yes you are.

Jimmy Lake is the GOAT. One recruiting class changes nothing.

STOp.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    doogville said:

Tequilla said:

doogville said:

Please explain how?

just stop, dude. lake is objectively one of the best db coaches/recruiters in the country.

saying we're? better off without him is one of the most try-hard posts of all time.
    hr, yk
  • Options
    doogville said:

Tequilla said:

doogville said:

Please explain how?

just stop, dude. lake is objectively one of the best db coaches/recruiters in the country.

saying we're? better off without him is one of the most try-hard posts of all time.
    Way to not answer the question ...

If you can't answer the question then FUCK OFF ...

Saying that Lake's one of the premier DB coaches is COMPLETELY missing the point ... nobody is disputing that fact ... but how much of the job of a position coach is actual coaching versus recruiting?

Depending on how he closes this class, hard to say that he's not damaged goods.