Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Husky women's crew with historic victory

Comments

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

AZDuck said:

I'm going to get untold amounts of shit for this, but I was actually in Windsor and watched it this weekend.

All jokes aside, it was surprisingly enjoyable. The place is absofuckinglutely full of these eastern upper-tier schools and their fans (with a few not-so-upper tier schools - hello Gonzaga, Ohio State, WSU and Central Florida). Cal rowing fans travel like Nebraska classy to an Orange Bowel, outnumbering Washington fans 5 to 1 EASILY. And there's the creep: ostensibly wearing the colors of the small New England DIII college he was technically there to watch (fuck off - no more information for you), yelling like a mother fucker with the other 8 Washington fans who showed up as the Husky women just fucking annihilated the division 1 field.

This is still a major sport back east; trust me on that. And there's some fun to be had watching some old, arrogant Princeton fuck mumble to himself as he watches his beloved Tigers get their asses handed to them by a Washington crew.

But the Cal group was the best. They beat Washington in season, and lost to them at Pac 12s, so they must've thought they had a chance.

They didn't.

It got really fucking quiet when Cal realized they were out of it. Stanford had a great finish but Washington led throughout and were never really in danger of losing.

There is not a school in the country with Washington's rowing tradition. Not one.

rowing tradition

that is seriously a rowing gif. no implied sex acts.

That looks like our post practice showers back in the day.
    pics?
    Poasted in the Wigwam
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,940 Founders Club

I'm going to get untold amounts of shit for this, but I was actually in Windsor and watched it this weekend.

All jokes aside, it was surprisingly enjoyable. The place is absofuckinglutely full of these eastern upper-tier schools and their fans (with a few not-so-upper tier schools - hello Gonzaga, Ohio State, WSU and Central Florida). Cal rowing fans travel like Nebraska classy to an Orange Bowel, outnumbering Washington fans 5 to 1 EASILY. And there's the creep: ostensibly wearing the colors of the small New England DIII college he was technically there to watch (fuck off - no more information for you), yelling like a mother fucker with the other 8 Washington fans who showed up as the Husky women just fucking annihilated the division 1 field.

This is still a major sport back east; trust me on that. And there's some fun to be had watching some old, arrogant Princeton fuck mumble to himself as he watches his beloved Tigers get their asses handed to them by a Washington crew.

But the Cal group was the best. They beat Washington in season, and lost to them at Pac 12s, so they must've thought they had a chance.

They didn't.

It got really fucking quiet when Cal realized they were out of it. Stanford had a great finish but Washington led throughout and were never really in danger of losing.

There is not a school in the country with Washington's rowing tradition. Not one.

I am really impressed to see this softer side of you @creepycoug - i.e., being at the NCAA Nationals for Women's Rowing. Respect...and I'm being serious.

It gets a little murky to attempt to quantify which university has the "greatest rowing tradition". On the Men's side, I'd say it's a toss up between Harvard, Washington and CAL.

Harvard - They didn't even attend the IRA regatta - quasi NT until 1982 and official post 1995 - until the mid to late 90's. Their focus was the Eastern Sprints which they've won 29 times and the Harvard - Yale race. In a lot of those years before 1995 they would have won IRA's. They did win 6 NT's in the 80's and early 90's and the now defunct College Rowing National Championship that used to occur in Cincinnati. I'm guessing Harvard has likely had the "fastest" boat in the country in, at least, 25- 30 seasons going back to the early 1900's. They also had, arguably, the greatest coach of the sport in the modern era in Harry Parker.

Washington - 18 total national titles at the IRA's plus 1 more in 1984 and the above mentioned Cincinnati race. Washington gets points for having one, at least, one NT in every decade going back to the 1920's, except for the sixties.

California - 16 total national titles at the IRA's; their crews have actually won 3 gold medals in the Olympics as opposed to our? Boys in the Boat having only 1 in 1936. Still, beating Nazis is worth like 3 of 4 gold medals.

Honorable mention might be Cornell. They've won 22 IRA's, but the last was in 1982 and they haven't really been relevant since.

• GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419

They didn't.

Washington - 18 total national titles at the IRA's plus 1 more in 1984 and the above mentioned Cincinnati race. Washington gets points for having one, at least, one NT in every decade going back to the 1920's, except for the sixties.

I didn't know we won multiple national titles in '84. What a great year for UW.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

They didn't.

I am really impressed to see this softer side of you @creepycoug - i.e., being at the NCAA Nationals for Women's Rowing. Respect...and I'm being serious.

It gets a little murky to attempt to quantify which university has the "greatest rowing tradition". On the Men's side, I'd say it's a toss up between Harvard, Washington and CAL.

Harvard - They didn't even attend the IRA regatta - quasi NT until 1982 and official post 1995 - until the mid to late 90's. Their focus was the Eastern Sprints which they've won 29 times and the Harvard - Yale race. In a lot of those years before 1995 they would have won IRA's. They did win 6 NT's in the 80's and early 90's and the now defunct College Rowing National Championship that used to occur in Cincinnati. I'm guessing Harvard has likely had the "fastest" boat in the country in, at least, 25- 30 seasons going back to the early 1900's. They also had, arguably, the greatest coach of the sport in the modern era in Harry Parker.

California - 16 total national titles at the IRA's; their crews have actually won 3 gold medals in the Olympics as opposed to our? Boys in the Boat having only 1 in 1936. Still, beating Nazis is worth like 3 of 4 gold medals.

Honorable mention might be Cornell. They've won 22 IRA's, but the last was in 1982 and they haven't really been relevant since.

@jecornel is getting shredded in this thread.

AZDuck said:

They didn't.

rowing tradition

that is seriously a rowing gif. no implied sex acts.

That looks like our post practice showers back in the day.
    pics?
    Sorry. It was in the pre-digital age.
    Gladstone said:

They didn't.

I didn't know we won multiple national titles in '84. What a great year for UW.
    And the Women won that year as well, so 2 for crew + the quasi Sooner Schooner Natty.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,942
    ^ to add on the training thing ... whenever the wind would pick up and cause even a ripple on the water, those eastern pussies hosting the event would shut down and hold up the races until it calmed down. I'm guessing the Washington coach is watching this and thinking, "fuck, this a nice calm summer day on Lake Washington ... let's fucking race."

So fucking bad ass. The Alabama of rowing schools.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,468 Founders Club
    I find it interesting that @creepycoug picks crew to go full doog over. The idea that UW is second to none in crew is the type of statement that the sod buster I know would rip to shreds.

Harvard and Cal have something to say here

I find it interesting that @creepycoug picks crew to go full doog over. The idea that UW is second to none in crew is the type of statement that the sod buster I know would rip to shreds.

I'd probably give Harvard the nod as the all time most storied program as alluded to in my earlier TL; DR comments. UW and Cal just a notch behind them. UW's stature, however, is greatly enhanced of late given the book and the recent run of total dominance from 2007 to the present- i.e., 7 NT's in the past 10 years. The shellhouse has even become a spot for literary tourism of late and guided tours are available: http://washingtonrowing.com/about/connibear-shellhouse/
    I've got this to say about that:

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! You and Racebannon can go FUCK YOURSELVES.

We? have Boys in the Boat, Pocock (yes, I know), multiple victories at the HOCR, we have won Henley, we have won titles in both genders.

By chance did you see what we did to the Chineese National Team? I know the Commies are short legged and all, but Washington beat 'em by 20 fucking boat lengths.

"Interesting" in a good way?

They may have something to say about it, but they would be WRONG.

Fuck, Harvard wasn't even there this year Race. I give a fuck about Harvard's rowing tradition about as much as I care about Gloomy Gill's record. Except '36 remains speshul for compelling reasons.

And Cal can go fuck themselves ... hard. Washington is better. End of discushun.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,591 Standard Supporter
    I would also give Harvard the nod and they can also claim excellence on the lightweight side, which Washington doesn't bother with.

However if we keep dominating like we have for the past 10 years it's a different story.
    edited June 2017

They didn't.

great. glad to impress. it's par for the course with the creep.

no. no toss up. Washington. Cal and Harvard suck.

Harvard - They didn't even attend the IRA regatta - quasi NT until 1982 and??? and official post 1995 - until the mid to late 90's. and????Their focus was the Eastern Sprints which they've won 29 times and the Harvard - Yale race. probably so they could avoid WashingtonIn a lot of those years before 1995 they would have won IRA's. and if my aunt had balls, she'd probably be my uncle They did win 6 NT's in the 80's and early 90's and the now defunct College Rowing National Championship that used to occur in Cincinnati. I'm guessing Harvard has likely had the "fastest" boat in the country in, at least, 25- 30 seasons going back to the early 1900's. not at all interested in your 'guessing' Harvard boy; winning is winning, and in a 2K sprint, I'm interested in who gets there first; not your fucking guessing They also had, arguably, the greatest coach of the sport in the modern era in Harry Parker. 'arguably' I don't care

Washington - 18 total national titles at the IRA's plus 1 more in 1984 and the above mentioned Cincinnati race. Washington gets points for having one, at least, one NT in every decade going back to the 1920's, except for the sixties. there you go. and the Henley, and the HOCR, and '36, which is way cooler than anything Cal or Harvard have ever done in anything

California - 16 total national titles at the IRA'stwo less than UW, thanks; their crews have actually won 3 gold medals in the Olympics as opposed to our? Boys in the Boat having only 1 in 1936fuck off; made up. Still, beating Nazis is worth like 3 of 4 gold medals. agreed

@jecornel is getting shredded in this thread.

I'd probably give Harvard the nod as the all time most storied program as alluded to in my earlier TL; DR comments. UW and Cal just a notch behind them. UW's stature, however, is greatly enhanced of late given the book and the recent run of total dominance from 2007 to the present- i.e., 7 NT's in the past 10 years. The shellhouse has even become a spot for literary tourism of late and guided tours are available: http://washingtonrowing.com/about/connibear-shellhouse/
    I've got this to say about that:

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! You and Racebannon can go FUCK YOURSELVES.

We? have Boys in the Boat, Pocock (yes, I know), multiple victories at the HOCR, we have won Henley, we have won titles in both genders.

By chance did you see what we did to the Chineese National Team? I know the Commies are short legged and all, but Washington beat 'em by 20 fucking boat lengths.
    Would it meet the definition then of irony if I as a varsity letter winner at UW in Crew challenged you @creepycoug to a 7-11 rendezvous based on your insistence that Washington has the most storied college Rowing program?
    whlinder said:

... on the lightweight side, which Washington doesn't bother with.

that's all I need to know.