Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Husky women's crew with historic victory

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,942

I find it interesting that @creepycoug picks crew to go full doog over. The idea that UW is second to none in crew is the type of statement that the sod buster I know would rip to shreds.

Harvard and Cal have something to say here

I'd probably give Harvard the nod as the all time most storied program as alluded to in my earlier TL; DR comments. UW and Cal just a notch behind them. UW's stature, however, is greatly enhanced of late given the book and the recent run of total dominance from 2007 to the present- i.e., 7 NT's in the past 10 years. The shellhouse has even become a spot for literary tourism of late and guided tours are available: http://washingtonrowing.com/about/connibear-shellhouse/
    I've got this to say about that:

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! You and Racebannon can go FUCK YOURSELVES.

We? have Boys in the Boat, Pocock (yes, I know), multiple victories at the HOCR, we have won Henley, we have won titles in both genders.

By chance did you see what we did to the Chineese National Team? I know the Commies are short legged and all, but Washington beat 'em by 20 fucking boat lengths.
    Would it meet the definition then of irony if I as a varsity letter winner at UW in Crew challenged you @creepycoug to a 7-11 rendezvous based on your insistence that Washington has the most storied college Rowing program?
    You don't want to mix Creep and 7-11 (the one on Aurora near the U-District, since you're relatively new here). Even with UW Crew credentials. It wouldn't be a good day for you.

What do you think happened to Damone? Yeah, that's what happened.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

I find it interesting that @creepycoug picks crew to go full doog over. The idea that UW is second to none in crew is the type of statement that the sod buster I know would rip to shreds.

Harvard and Cal have something to say here

I'd probably give Harvard the nod as the all time most storied program as alluded to in my earlier TL; DR comments. UW and Cal just a notch behind them. UW's stature, however, is greatly enhanced of late given the book and the recent run of total dominance from 2007 to the present- i.e., 7 NT's in the past 10 years. The shellhouse has even become a spot for literary tourism of late and guided tours are available: http://washingtonrowing.com/about/connibear-shellhouse/
    I've got this to say about that:

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! You and Racebannon can go FUCK YOURSELVES.

We? have Boys in the Boat, Pocock (yes, I know), multiple victories at the HOCR, we have won Henley, we have won titles in both genders.

By chance did you see what we did to the Chineese National Team? I know the Commies are short legged and all, but Washington beat 'em by 20 fucking boat lengths.
    UW beat China so bad I am still legitimately worried for their lives.
    We didn't want Jina anyway
    Swaye said:

IThen I got on a rowing machine several years ago and almost died after 20 minutes. I think I still hurt.

Damn it Swaye. I've told you this 1,000 times. We were drunk on the rez, again, and you didn't get on a fucking rowing machine. You mounted a billy goat behind the bar and got a horn stuck in your ass. That's why it still hurts.

You always get this one twisted with the fucking erg machine; I don't know why.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,591 Standard Supporter

I'm going to get untold amounts of shit for this, but I was actually in Windsor and watched it this weekend.

All jokes aside, it was surprisingly enjoyable. The place is absofuckinglutely full of these eastern upper-tier schools and their fans (with a few not-so-upper tier schools - hello Gonzaga, Ohio State, WSU and Central Florida). Cal rowing fans travel like Nebraska classy to an Orange Bowel, outnumbering Washington fans 5 to 1 EASILY. And there's the creep: ostensibly wearing the colors of the small New England DIII college he was technically there to watch (fuck off - no more information for you), yelling like a mother fucker with the other 8 Washington fans who showed up as the Husky women just fucking annihilated the division 1 field.

This is still a major sport back east; trust me on that. And there's some fun to be had watching some old, arrogant Princeton fuck mumble to himself as he watches his beloved Tigers get their asses handed to them by a Washington crew.

But the Cal group was the best. They beat Washington in season, and lost to them at Pac 12s, so they must've thought they had a chance.

They didn't.

It got really fucking quiet when Cal realized they were out of it. Stanford had a great finish but Washington led throughout and were never really in danger of losing.

There is not a school in the country with Washington's rowing tradition. Not one.

Harvard - They didn't even attend the IRA regatta - quasi NT until 1982 and official post 1995 - until the mid to late 90's. Their focus was the Eastern Sprints which they've won 29 times and the Harvard - Yale race. In a lot of those years before 1995 they would have won IRA's. They did win 6 NT's in the 80's and early 90's and the now defunct College Rowing National Championship that used to occur in Cincinnati. I'm guessing Harvard has likely had the "fastest" boat in the country in, at least, 25- 30 seasons going back to the early 1900's. They also had, arguably, the greatest coach of the sport in the modern era in Harry Parker.
    In addition to Beat The Nazis in Berlin THEN Pop Off, We* also have Beat The Soviets in Moscow THEN Pop Off.

Hahhhvad has

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,940 Founders Club
    whlinder said:

I'm going to get untold amounts of shit for this, but I was actually in Windsor and watched it this weekend.

All jokes aside, it was surprisingly enjoyable. The place is absofuckinglutely full of these eastern upper-tier schools and their fans (with a few not-so-upper tier schools - hello Gonzaga, Ohio State, WSU and Central Florida). Cal rowing fans travel like Nebraska classy to an Orange Bowel, outnumbering Washington fans 5 to 1 EASILY. And there's the creep: ostensibly wearing the colors of the small New England DIII college he was technically there to watch (fuck off - no more information for you), yelling like a mother fucker with the other 8 Washington fans who showed up as the Husky women just fucking annihilated the division 1 field.

This is still a major sport back east; trust me on that. And there's some fun to be had watching some old, arrogant Princeton fuck mumble to himself as he watches his beloved Tigers get their asses handed to them by a Washington crew.

But the Cal group was the best. They beat Washington in season, and lost to them at Pac 12s, so they must've thought they had a chance.

They didn't.

It got really fucking quiet when Cal realized they were out of it. Stanford had a great finish but Washington led throughout and were never really in danger of losing.

There is not a school in the country with Washington's rowing tradition. Not one.

Harvard - They didn't even attend the IRA regatta - quasi NT until 1982 and official post 1995 - until the mid to late 90's. Their focus was the Eastern Sprints which they've won 29 times and the Harvard - Yale race. In a lot of those years before 1995 they would have won IRA's. They did win 6 NT's in the 80's and early 90's and the now defunct College Rowing National Championship that used to occur in Cincinnati. I'm guessing Harvard has likely had the "fastest" boat in the country in, at least, 25- 30 seasons going back to the early 1900's. They also had, arguably, the greatest coach of the sport in the modern era in Harry Parker.
    In addition to Beat The Nazis in Berlin THEN Pop Off, We* also have Beat The Soviets in Moscow THEN Pop Off.

Hahhhvad has

Washington made that shell for them. Let's not forget that.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,468 Founders Club

whlinder said:

They didn't.

Hahhhvad has

Washington made that shell for them. People forget that.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,356 Founders Club

Swaye said:

IThen I got on a rowing machine several years ago and almost died after 20 minutes. I think I still hurt.

Damn it Swaye. I've told you this 1,000 times. We were drunk on the rez, again, and you didn't get on a fucking rowing machine. You mounted a billy goat behind the bar and got a horn stuck in your ass. That's why it still hurts.

You always get this one twisted with the fucking erg machine; I don't know why.
    I fucking laffed like an idiot hyena.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,356 Founders Club

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

I used to think rowers were faggots. Then I got on a rowing machine several years ago and almost died after 20 minutes of what would be moderate to low exertion for a serious rower. Now I just think they are mildly gay, as opposed to full on power bottoms. I wil never get on a rowing machine again. I think I still hurt.

I used to think the same thing about naval aviators and then I realized that landing a jet on a carrier going 30 knts and big ocean swells is really hard. Glad we're building some mutual respect here.
    The first time I did a night landing I shit myself a little bit. Not sure if scared or loose butthole.
    I look really handsome when dropping flares. You'll have to trust me on this one.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,517 Founders Club
    Crew smack talk!
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    No one cares about college rowing but like Donald Trump Jr., I rowed in college. (He was on the team at Penn for 1 year.) The standard by which rowers are judged is 2000 meters on the Concept 2 ergometer. The slowest guy on our team went 6:48. He was 5'10", 171lbs and iron deficient. Still, that score is butt. Donald Trump Jr., at 6'1" 190lbs., pulled a 7:02. Fuck this weak-chinned Patrick Bateman and his easily disproven lies. Penn kept him around because his dad promised to buy a boat. (Note: He never bought a boat.)
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,693 Founders Club

No one cares about college rowing but like Donald Trump Jr., I rowed in college. (He was on the team at Penn for 1 year.) The standard by which rowers are judged is 2000 meters on the Concept 2 ergometer. The slowest guy on our team went 6:48. He was 5'10", 171lbs and iron deficient. Still, that score is butt. Donald Trump Jr., at 6'1" 190lbs., pulled a 7:02. Fuck this weak-chinned Patrick Bateman and his easily disproven lies. Penn kept him around because his dad promised to buy a boat. (Note: He never bought a boat.)

*dads promised to buy a boat

Wow, that is a shit score. You have to have a huge gina to pull a time like that. For perspective: most guys on elite college crews need to be below 6:10 and below 6:00 to be National Team worthy.

Wow, that is a shit score. You have to have a huge gina to pull a time like that. For perspective: most guys on elite college crews need to be below 6:10 and below 6:00 to be National Team worthy.
    To put this in perspective, I happen to know the erg time of one of the D3 rowers (purely by happenstance, and not because of any relation). This smart-ish, 5'10" 100 and something lb. sophomore pulls a 7:10, and is trying to get that down under 7 this summer.

So, basically, what we're saying here (seriously) is that Donnie would have had to seriously exert himself to make the Wellesley Women's Division 3 1V, and would have had a difficult time making an elite Division 1 women's boat.
    edited June 2017

To put this in perspective, I happen to know the erg time of one of the D3 rowers (purely by happenstance, and not because of any relation). This smart-ish, 5'10" 100 and something lb. sophomore pulls a 7:10, and is trying to get that down under 7 this summer.

So, basically, what we're saying here (seriously) is that Donnie would have had to seriously exert himself to make the Wellesley Women's Division 3 1V, and would have had a difficult time making an elite Division 1 women's boat.
    Nail on the head Creepy Coug. I pulled 6:06 in college so almost a minute faster than that sissy boy.