Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

ST3 / Car Tabs / Sales Taxes / Bloated KC Metro

Comments

• AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    doogie said:

High speed rail fare from Cle Elum to Seattle, heavily subsidized, would cost far more then what the little people this "solution" is sold to, would be willing to pay.

Rail as a "solution" toward moving people, is a circle jerk for emotional thinkers.

Right. It's just emotional thinking moving millions of people in countries all over the world (outside of North America).

America is somehow different. No matter if everyone else in the world has figured out a reasonable solution to a problem (transportation, health care coverage, what have you)

IT WON'T WORK HERE BECAUSE REASONS WE'RE DIFFERENT FUCK OFF

Every mother thinks her son is exceptional. If the son believes it too, he's in for a world of hurt.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    AZDuck said:

doogie said:

High speed rail fare from Cle Elum to Seattle, heavily subsidized, would cost far more then what the little people this "solution" is sold to, would be willing to pay.

Rail as a "solution" toward moving people, is a circle jerk for emotional thinkers.

Right. It's just emotional thinking moving millions of people in countries all over the world (outside of North America).

America is somehow different. No matter if everyone else in the world has figured out a reasonable solution to a problem (transportation, health care coverage, what have you)

Every mother thinks her son is exceptional. If the son believes it too, he's in for a world of hurt.
    You cited Portland's light rail as an example that works.

Take your L and move on.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Your mom never thought her Son was special. I hope she loved you anyway.

AZDuck said:

doogie said:

Take your L and move on.
    I stand by that. MAX and Streetcar have 140,000 boardings/day. 4th highest light rail ridership in North America, in the 33rd biggest metro area.

I didn't have to own a car in Portland 20 years ago, it's probably better now
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,486 Standard Supporter
    I kinda dig trails for intra-MSA transportation and can deal with begrudgingly cope with the operational subsidies. It's stuff like large-scale eminent domain, clusterfuck construction, and political chinfluence of design that screw these up from the start.
    Aside from the population density point above, one thing oft overlooked when trying to applying other countries solutions to the US is cultural/national/racial homogeneity. Germany remain mostly German, Swiss in Switzerland, etc. It makes a difference.
    TL;DR - the Turks need maor tim.
    Moving the goalposts again, I see.
    AZDuck said:

doogie said:

America is different. HTH.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    AZDuck said:

AZDuck said:

doogie said:

Take your L and move on.
    I stand by that. MAX and Streetcar have 140,000 boardings/day. 4th highest light rail ridership in North America, in the 33rd biggest metro area.

I didn't have to own a car in Portland 20 years ago, it's probably better now
    It's ok when the temperature is between 40 and 80 degrees and it's not raining too heavily...and you have hours to kill going back and forth to work...and you live and work near the lines.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246

AZDuck said:

doogie said:

America is different. HTH.
    America is pretty stupid in almost all dealing. EVERYTHING has to turn a profit, but it can't just turn a profit, it has to turn a profit for the right people.

Everyone will clap at a new battleship that floats around and does nothing, but something that would increase the general welfare of a populous is viewed as communist garbage. It's stupid and you can't fix that.

I kinda dig trails for intra-MSA transportation and can deal with begrudgingly cope with the operational subsidies. It's stuff like large-scale eminent domain, clusterfuck construction, and political chinfluence of design that screw these up from the start.
    Aside from the population density point above, one thing oft overlooked when trying to applying other countries solutions to the US is cultural/national/racial homogeneity. Germany remain mostly German, Swiss in Switzerland, etc. It makes a difference.

You know that Switzerland is split among the three main Euro ethnicities (German, French, Italian) right? That and over a quarter of the population there isn't even Swiss, but has the Swiss version of a green card?

I don't think that having different ethnic groups makes rail transportation not work. London's a helluva lot more diverse than Seattle or Portland.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,641 Founders Club
    I am a progressive. I want 19th century technology.

California for all the bullshit about how stupid liberals run things, understands that they better keep building freeways because that's what we want.

Jerry is now asking Trump for money for his super train from Santa Clarita to Bakersfield.

We are not a dense urban area where a subway is awesome. We are the west. Take your trains and fuck off already.
    AZDuck said:

You know that Switzerland is split among the three main Euro ethnicities (German, French, Italian) right? That and over a quarter of the population there isn't even Swiss, but has the Swiss version of a green card?

I don't think that having different ethnic groups makes rail transportation not work. London's a helluva lot more diverse than Seattle or Portland.
    Higher degrees of homogeneity improves political consensus.

I am a progressive. I want 19th century technology.

California for all the bullshit about how stupid liberals run things, understands that they better keep building freeways because that's what we want.

Jerry is now asking Trump for money for his super train from Santa Clarita to Bakersfield.

We are not a dense urban area where a subway is awesome. We are the west. Take your trains and fuck off already.

Reality. It's a bitch sometimes

https://la.curbed.com/2012/3/26/10385086/los-angeles-is-the-most-densely-populated-urban-area-in-the-us

LA is 2/3 as dense as London

Metro Portland is more densely populated than Metro Zurich
    LA is spread out. A fixed rail runs through South Central to get to LAX. Geepers

So Cal is not dense but train nuts are
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    AZDuck said:

It's almost like rail transport has never been tried and been successful in other developed countries or something

Lemme guess....

Sweden has the best rail System ever developed, all the operators pay 70% in taxes, And they all love it!!!!
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    edited May 2017
    AZDuck said:

PurpleJ said:

Add rail transport to things ruined by the government.

Japan's Shinkansen, Birthplace of High Speed Rail

France's TGV, World's Fastest Train

Germany's High Speed ICE Network

Switzerland's Integrated Rail Network - One ticket for Rail, Trams, Buses Goes Everywhere

Zurich Tram and Bus Map - Metro Area 2.4 million

Tokyo Commuter Rail and Metro Map - Metro Area 35 million

London Metro Map

New Gotthard Tunnel Under the Alps

Spain's High Speed Rail Network

China's High Speed Rail Network

South Korea's High Speed Rail Network

Kuala Lumpur(!) High Speed Metro

Istanbul Tunnel Under the Bosphorus Connecting Europe and Asia

Portland's Rail Network (built since 1986)

And then there's Seattle and Tacoma

Tac Town Lame

When government investment is creating high-speed rail subway, commuter rail and light rail links that bridge continents, tunnel under Alps, move millions of people a day faster, more comfortably, more efficiently and with less pollution than the US dependence on air travel

and cars (hello, let's sit for a while) ... AND

The Spanish, the Turks, the Malaysians and even fucking communist Portland are kicking your ass at it-

It might be time to reconsider your position.

I'm just glad that we pay you to make 30 minute poasts that miss the point on a shit website.

The problem isn't getting around the state nor the Country, The problem is getting around town. And your big phallic bullet trains don't serve that need. Only London and half ass Portland demonstrate better alternatives than driving your car to get around town.
    salemcoog said:

AZDuck said:

PurpleJ said:

Add rail transport to things ruined by the government.

Japan's Shinkansen, Birthplace of High Speed Rail

France's TGV, World's Fastest Train

Germany's High Speed ICE Network

Switzerland's Integrated Rail Network - One ticket for Rail, Trams, Buses Goes Everywhere

Zurich Tram and Bus Map - Metro Area 2.4 million

Tokyo Commuter Rail and Metro Map - Metro Area 35 million

London Metro Map

New Gotthard Tunnel Under the Alps

Spain's High Speed Rail Network

China's High Speed Rail Network

South Korea's High Speed Rail Network

Kuala Lumpur(!) High Speed Metro

Istanbul Tunnel Under the Bosphorus Connecting Europe and Asia

Portland's Rail Network (built since 1986)

And then there's Seattle and Tacoma

Tac Town Lame

When government investment is creating high-speed rail subway, commuter rail and light rail links that bridge continents, tunnel under Alps, move millions of people a day faster, more comfortably, more efficiently and with less pollution than the US dependence on air travel

and cars (hello, let's sit for a while) ... AND

The Spanish, the Turks, the Malaysians and even fucking communist Portland are kicking your ass at it-

It might be time to reconsider your position.

I'm just glad that we pay you to make 30 minute poasts that miss the point on a shit website.

The problem isn't getting around the state nor the Country, The problem is getting around town. And your big phallic bullet trains don't serve that need. Only London and half ass Portland demonstrate better alternatives than driving your car to get around town.
    get back to me when the Swedish economy collapses next year, fucko
    edited May 2017
    Personally, whenever I need a ride, I'd rather just hit a button on my smart phone and have a vehicle show up that will take me anywhere I want to go, at any time of day, for an unsubsidized, modest fee.

21st century solutions for a 21st century world are working in over 75 countries/500 cities around the world, right now, today. Rapid expansion would be instantaneous if government would get the fuck out of the way.

edited May 2017
    doogie said:

Personally, whenever I need a ride, I'd rather just hit a button on my smart phone and have a vehicle show up that will take me anywhere I want to go, at any time of day, for an unsubsidized, modest fee.

21st century solutions for a 21st century world are working in over 75 countries/500 cities around the world, right now, today. Rapid expansion would be instantaneous if government would get the fuck out of the way.

who paid for the road that your Uber drove on?

TAXPAYERS DID!

AZDuck said:

doogie said:

who paid for the road that your Uber drove on?

TAXPAYERS DID!

After the government stole a bunch of the ROAD and GAS taxes to pay for idiotic 19th century tech