Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Asa "Mercer" Turner (the Trevor Lawrence of WC DBs), 4* 2019 S, Carlsbad (HS), CA (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    NEsnake12 said:

Baseman said:

He’ll be good this year even if he’s a pussy (good in coverage, run game NOGAF it can’t hurt you like the pass game can). Least of my worries.

Everyone on the defense has to tackle, especially in the 2-4-5. Good running teams -- Stanford-- have bullied UW in the Pete era, except for '16 when Azeem was healthy.

I hate Taylor Rapp but he excelled in run support.

There's a difference between recruiting and bullying a kid to sign. Jimmy shamed Turner into signing. Turner admitted when Jimmy told him to "man up" he finally signed.

Jimmy Clifford told me he ran stairs more than he practiced because everyday in practice the defense would knock the shit out of the offense. Punches were thrown.

Outside of Eddie, Washington's defense is Charmin soft.
    Disagree with the last sentence... McDuffie wants the smoke
    Gordon too.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,615
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2021

He’ll be good this year even if he’s a pussy (good in coverage, run game NOGAF it can’t hurt you like the pass game can). Least of my worries.

Taking the stance that "having a safety who's useless in the run game doesn't hurt you" is a pretty ice cold take given that the last game we played featured us getting gashed by a squad of shitty nerds for that very reason.
    Everything counts. Guys pussyfooting against the run and turning what should have been stops into win plays for the offense nullify his contention that the run doesn't hurt you as much. That only holds true if you tackle and make the plays that the defensive calls made possible. Once your safety misses and you have an RB in the open with the ball in his hands, you're just as fucked as if they had completed a pass, oftentimes more so.

I dont care if Turner is the best safety in the nation in pass coverage. If he can't make tackles he needs to make he is a liability.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    EVERYTHING MATTERS
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,708
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

dnc said:

Baseman said:

Everyone on the defense has to tackle, especially in the 2-4-5. Good running teams -- Stanford-- have bullied UW in the Pete era, except for '16 when Azeem was healthy.

There's a difference between recruiting and bullying a kid to sign. Jimmy shamed Turner into signing. Turner admitted when Jimmy told him to "man up" he finally signed.

Jimmy Clifford told me he ran stairs more than he practiced because everyday in practice the defense would knock the shit out of the offense. Punches were thrown.

It’s a strange thing because it shouldn’t matter once they are here, but guys that are hard to sign or waffle normally do seem to suck.
    Kentrell Love
    Asa Turner
    Kaho
    Weddington (he was ok, but nothing great)
    Ty Jones

Hopefully this doesn't hold true for Jacob Covington
    OTOH, Byron Murphy.
    Marlon tuipolotu
    Toot toot
    Cyler miles
    Puka nacua

You could dig up people on both sides of the story. Just like any recruit. Most will not be a good starter level player.

Yes exactly most recruits won’t live up to our expectations for whatever reason. Just depends what narrative people want to push.

Could create the opposite narrative- kids who commit early and don’t waver aren’t competitive enough!!!!!!

-Lindquist, Sirmon, Osborne, Spiker, Lowe, Ngata, McKinney, Wellington, Myles Rice, Wattenberg, etc.

The narratives are bullshit.

Coaches do all kinds of embarrassing shit to hold onto or sell recruits. You guys just happen to know what happened with Asa because his camp was a leaky sieve and he had the spotlight on him after the early signing period.

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    ZTF is soft? Ok.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

Baseman said:

It’s a strange thing because it shouldn’t matter once they are here, but guys that are hard to sign or waffle normally do seem to suck.
    Kentrell Love
    Asa Turner
    Kaho
    Weddington (he was ok, but nothing great)
    Ty Jones

Hopefully this doesn't hold true for Jacob Covington
    OTOH, Byron Murphy.
    Marlon tuipolotu
    Toot toot
    Cyler miles
    Puka nacua

You could dig up people on both sides of the story. Just like any recruit. Most will not be a good starter level player.

Yes exactly most recruits won’t live up to our expectations for whatever reason. Just depends what narrative people want to push.

Could create the opposite narrative- kids who commit early and don’t waver aren’t competitive enough!!!!!!

-Lindquist, Sirmon, Osborne, Spiker, Lowe, Ngata, McKinney, Wellington, Myles Rice, Wattenberg, etc.

The narratives are bullshit.

Coaches do all kinds of embarrassing shit to hold onto or sell recruits. You guys just happen to know what happened with Asa because his camp was a leaky sieve and he had the spotlight on him after the early signing period.

Wasn't Browning the guy that was afraid of underwear competition or was that another recruit?

Lots of narratives. Agreed
  • Options

Taking the stance that "having a safety who's useless in the run game doesn't hurt you" is a pretty ice cold take given that the last game we played featured us getting gashed by a squad of shitty nerds for that very reason.
    You don’t have to be a big hitter to be effective in the run game, get your fits and make the tackle. He did it more times than not. You guys are getting caught up in aesthetics of his game. I was being hyperbolic. He was an average player last year with very good tools. I think it’s silly to write him off already.
  • Options
    Getting mad about a guy who played the majority of his snaps as single high safety impact in the run game is funny. Especially since we sit our S like 20+ yards off the LOS.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,901
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

If Turner was a 2 star FudgePack wouldn't say he's good. He's not. All you had to do was watch the games. You see him mis one tackle and focus on him and each play seems worse.

Fudgie is from the SubK school of talent evaluation. Trash players who are actual contributors and makE excuses for players who clearly suck or have shown nothing because of his opinions on them as high school recruits.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Baseman said:

Getting mad about a guy who played the majority of his snaps as single high safety impact in the run game is funny. Especially since we sit our S like 20+ yards off the LOS.

Here's a few of my favs

Single high-safety: LOL

Pass completed. Molden wraps up. A real defensive player lives for opportunities to take somebody's fucking head off when their teammate has the opponent wrapped up.

Whoops!

In that play there was a man and a pussy. 1st and goal Stanford.

5'10 Elijah Molden, low, leads with his shoulder. Eddie correctly ran through and took on the tackle....which leaves someone for the cleanup.

Molden engages, Turner doesn't

When UW has savages on the field they rape Stanford. When UW plays pussies, Stanford makes them their bitch.

Are we done here?

Asa = Keith Taylor at a safety position
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,615
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2021
    FireCohen said:

Baseman said:

Here's a few of my favs

Pass completed. Molden wraps up. A real defensive player lives for opportunities to take somebody's fucking head off when their teammate has the opponent wrapped up.

Whoops!

5'10 Elijah Molden, low, leads with his shoulder. Eddie correctly ran through and took on the tackle....which leaves someone for the cleanup.

When UW has savages on the field they rape Stanford. When UW plays pussies, Stanford makes them their bitch.

Are we done here?

Your comments about Taylor just keep getting dumber. See if you can set a record!
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,901
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Turner camping out in the end zone on that play made me sick. We really need better safety play next year
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    FireCohen said:

Baseman said:

Here's a few of my favs

Whoops!

Are we done here?

Awful take. Are you trying to be cute or are you really that ignorant?

Go watch the games he played corner on Youtube and say he's a pussy in run support He was one UW's better corner force CB's on wide runs that ever played there.

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Baseman said:

FireCohen said:

Baseman said:

Here's a few of my favs

Whoops!

Are we done here?

Awful take. Are you trying to be cute or are you really that ignorant?

Go watch the games he played corner on Youtube and say he's a pussy in run support He was one UW's better corner force CB's on wide runs that ever played there.

All I remember of Taylor missing some key tackles when it mattered
  • Options
    coach_pete_JPGcoach_pete_JPG Member Posts: 1,203
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Baseman said:

Here's a few of my favs

Whoops!

Are we done here?