Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Asa "Mercer" Turner (the Trevor Lawrence of WC DBs), 4* 2019 S, Carlsbad (HS), CA (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Jdawg1991 said:

He’ll be good this year even if he’s a pussy (good in coverage, run game NOGAF it can’t hurt you like the pass game can). Least of my worries.

Taking the stance that "having a safety who's useless in the run game doesn't hurt you" is a pretty ice cold take given that the last game we played featured us getting gashed by a squad of shitty nerds for that very reason.
    You don’t have to be a big hitter to be effective in the run game, get your fits and make the tackle. He did it more times than not. You guys are getting caught up in aesthetics of his game. I was being hyperbolic. He was an average player last year with very good tools. I think it’s silly to write him off already.
    Wow. I thought these guys were kidding about these takes.
    He’s a sophomore dude. He’ll be fine.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,623
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Jdawg1991 said:

He’ll be good this year even if he’s a pussy (good in coverage, run game NOGAF it can’t hurt you like the pass game can). Least of my worries.

Taking the stance that "having a safety who's useless in the run game doesn't hurt you" is a pretty ice cold take given that the last game we played featured us getting gashed by a squad of shitty nerds for that very reason.
    You don’t have to be a big hitter to be effective in the run game, get your fits and make the tackle. He did it more times than not. You guys are getting caught up in aesthetics of his game. I was being hyperbolic. He was an average player last year with very good tools. I think it’s silly to write him off already.
    Maybe. He obviously isn't a war daddy type who will throw his body around unless a low risk cheap shot is served up. He needs a transformation that few football players his age can still make...into a tough player. The odds are stacked against him. Football hurts and a guy obviously trying to avoid pain has little chance.
  • Options
    chuck said:

Jdawg1991 said:

Maybe. He obviously isn't a war daddy type who will throw his body around unless a low risk cheap shot is served up. He needs a transformation that few football players his age can still make...into a tough player. The odds are stacked against him. Football hurts and a guy obviously trying to avoid pain has little chance.
    Lol good god this isn’t 1980s football anymore dude. He’s a guy that can matchup with tight ends in coverage and play his deep 3rd responsibilities. He doesn’t need to be Kam Chancellor, that’s not his role. He was fine in the box as freshmen.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2021

chuck said:

Jdawg1991 said:

Lol good god this isn’t 1980s football anymore dude. He’s a guy that can matchup with tight ends in coverage and play his deep 3rd responsibilities. He doesn’t need to be Kam Chancellor, that’s not his role. He was fine in the box as freshmen.
    Everything matters. You don't have to be Cam Chancellor to not be a pussy. It's not an either or.

He was shit in the box as a frosh. He came in late with a headhunting forearm or two (missed) and lucked unto a pick and everyone here stroked themselves with excitement just like they did Chris Hemphill who was basically the same player.
  • Options
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Jdawg1991 said:

Everything matters. You don't have to be Cam Chancellor to not be a pussy. It's not an either or.

He was shit in the box as a frosh. He came in late with a headhunting forearm or two (missed) and lucked unto a pick and everyone here stroked themselves with excitement just like they are a did Chris Hemphill who was basically the same player.
    Did you expect a 6”4 180lb that virtually had to play linebacker because Manu and Welly were so shit to be a world beater dude? He was serviceable.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2021
    Jdawg1991 said:

Nice find. Did not age well.

He was not average at run fits or getting people down. He was bad. He could get better. LAN got way better over the years but it’s not looking good for him.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Jdawg1991 said:

Nice find. Did not age well.

He was not average at run fits or getting people down. He was bad. He could get better. LAN got way better over the years but it’s not looking good for him.
    LAN was saved when Petersen and Lake moved him into the slot and then outside. He was horrible as a safety, but lucky for him he had low 4.4 speed and crazy good short area quickness to go with his lanky 6'3" frame. I dont think a switch to corner is going to be Turner's ticket. He has to get tough.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,312
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LAN? Local Area Network?
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,444
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

LAN? Local Area Network?

Kevin King
  • Options
    rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I mean he's from Carlsbad... its not exactly a rough place.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147

chuck said:

Jdawg1991 said:

2020s football still allows hitting. Someone should inform Asa.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

chuck said:

Jdawg1991 said:

2020s football still allows hitting. Someone should inform Asa.
    Nobody needs him to a big hitter. We just need him to bring people down and not AVOID contact. Safeties and linebackers typically lead the team in tackles. They shouldn’t be avoiding them.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    TommySQC said:

LAN? Local Area Network?

Kevin King
    Long Ass Neck?
    yes
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

Jdawg1991 said:

He was shit in the box as a frosh. He came in late with a headhunting forearm or two (missed) and lucked unto a pick and everyone here stroked themselves with excitement just like they are a did Chris Hemphill who was basically the same player.
    Did you expect a 6”4 180lb that virtually had to play linebacker because Manu and Welly were so shit to be a world beater dude? He was serviceable.
    He was bad. He’s a horrible tackler and is soft.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Turner is thus far the epitome of “ looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane”.