Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Darien Chase, 2019 4* CB, Vancouver (Union), WA (Offered 4/30)

Comments

• Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,901
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Waited too long.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Are we really not taking his commitment? Why not?
  • Options
    HuskyClawsHuskyClaws Member Posts: 1,170
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I believe the thought is that he was recruited as a safety and that Turner and Williams took his spot.
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I believe the thought is that he was recruited as a safety and that Turner and Williams took his spot.

Weird. He does not look like a safety on film to me. CB or WR.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,043
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Is it the hips?
  • Options
    dougthedawgdougthedawg Member Posts: 179
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Apparentl

So what youre saying is fire jimmy lake?
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Apparentl

AWCE
  • Options

Apparentl

There could be world where we be better off without him
  • Options
    ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Considering we’ve struck out on all our WR targets shouldn’t we be going after this guy? In state kid, athletic, could switch to DB if we somehow flip/land some other guys out of nowhere.

I don’t really see a good reason not to take him.
  • Options

Considering we’ve struck out on all our WR targets shouldn’t we be going after this guy? In state kid, athletic, could switch to DB if we somehow flip/land some other guys out of nowhere.

Lubic needs to be fired now
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

We don't need another receiver in the class. Sure we'll take a 5* monster if we can get them but Chase isn't that.

If we take Chase anywhere it will be at CB.
  • Options

STOp. If we learned anything from Malloe it's not to overrate anything that happens in one class where we have only one or two schollies at a position. If Lubick strikes out next year sure send him door ass out. If we had fired Malloe when everyone wanted him gone (including me) we would have done ourselves a massive disservice.

LIFPO on Lubick.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

STOp. If we learned anything from Malloe it's not to overrate anything that happens in one class where we have only one or two schollies at a position. If Lubick strikes out next year sure send him door ass out. If we had fired Malloe when everyone wanted him gone (including me) we would have done ourselves a massive disservice.

LIFPO on Lubick.
    Agree with dnc Lipo at least even the current recruiting cycle before calling for heads.
  • Options
    dnc said:

We don't need another receiver in the class. Sure we'll take a 5* monster if we can get them but Chase isn't that.

If we take Chase anywhere it will be at CB.
    There are only 2 guys left on our WR board and neither of them is likely coming to UW. We only have two classes of WRs who are worth a shit on our roster. What’s the logic in taking only one receiver?

Chase isn’t a Baccellia, Chin or Fuller. He brings the average talent level of that position group up and adds a body to a position where we are already thin.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2018

There is room for one more CB. My guess is Mykal Wright and/or McDuffie get the first crack at that spot.
  • Options

There is room for one more CB. My guess is Mykal Wright and/or McDuffie get the firsts crack at that spot.
    Good call on Wright would be a hell of flip.
  • Options
    dnc said:

The logic is you don't have a single receiver graduating and not likely to have much in the way of couch sales at the position (would love to be wrong on this part). Not to mention you have too many schollies dedicated to the position as it is.

As DDY has relentlessly pointed out we have virtually as many WR as OL on scholarship. That's a massive problem. We dedicated 6 schollies over the last two classes to fix the issues at WR and another in this class. If those 7 can't get it done then there's something wrong that's not going to be fixed by adding Darien Chase.

I don't disagree but this also seems like a situation of "as long as we get X number of good receivers in the next class then it doesn't matter that we only sign one guy in this class."

Chase is on par athletically with the guys we have recruited at that position in the last two classes, has position flexibility and is a slam dunk as far as the effort needed to get his commitment. If he was a JAG I would be OK! with passing on him but he seems like a very good prospect.

I guess I am sort of defaulting to "take the athletic, in-state kid at a position of need."

• Options

dnc said:

The logic is you don't have a single receiver graduating and not likely to have much in the way of couch sales at the position (would love to be wrong on this part). Not to mention you have too many schollies dedicated to the position as it is.

As DDY has relentlessly pointed out we have virtually as many WR as OL on scholarship. That's a massive problem. We dedicated 6 schollies over the last two classes to fix the issues at WR and another in this class. If those 7 can't get it done then there's something wrong that's not going to be fixed by adding Darien Chase.

I don't disagree but this also seems like a situation of "as long as we get X number of good receivers in the next class then it doesn't matter that we only sign one guy in this class."

Chase is on par athletically with the guys we have recruited at that position in the last two classes, has position flexibility and is a slam dunk as far as the effort needed to get his commitment. If he was a JAG I would be OK! with passing on him but he seems like a very good prospect.

I guess I am sort of defaulting to "take the athletic, in-state kid at a position of need."

I just don't think it's a position of need, otherwise agree.

I won't be at all upset if they take Chase. I don't want them to take another receiver unless he's a clear cut #1 guy, which none of those guys are coming here.
  • Options
    I don't think Chase brings the average talent at the position up, at least not by much

Talent rankings
    Spiker
    Osbourne
    Jones
    Bynum
    Cook
    Davis
    Lowe
    Fuller
    Pounds
    Baccellia

Chin

Chase probably falls between Lowe and Fuller. At best between Davis and Lowe.

He might bring the mean up a bit but he doesn't come above the median. Most importantly he'd be 7 out of 8 or 8 out of 8 amongst the guys he's actually going to be competing for playing time against as Fuller/Pounds/Baccellia will all be graduated before Chase's redshirt frosh year and Chin will be gone by his redshirt soph year at the very latest.

I just don't think he moves the needle much. Had they taken him over Davis I wouldn't have complained as I think they're close though I like Davis better.

He doesn't suck. I still think we might take him at CB. I don't think he's a huge asset to us as a receiver though.

Bottom line he's a year too old. Were he in next year's class after we lose three grads I think we'd have room for him. Not this year.